Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1987 944 Turbo --> LS

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 09:59 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have another question if you don't mind. Where did you find your wiring information? I have the swap manual from Greg Sloan, and a few random bits of information here there. But I was thinking it would be easier to find a source that was a little more conclusive for all the modifications that need to be down the factory wiring. Do you know if something like that exists?

I might be making all of this harder than it should be, but wiring is the part that I feared most in this swap. Which naturally is the reason I left for the very end.

Getting close though, finished all the mechanical work and the hydro boost setup. Definitely seeing light at the end of the tunnel!

Old 09-27-2018, 10:42 AM
Launching!

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Looking good! Is that the BMW hydroboost setup? That's a different looking setup than I'm used to.

Wiring was the hardest for me, I don't enjoy it and being colour blind I struggle a bit with wiring colours. I didn't have the Sloan manual either. I pieced most things together from the 944hybrids forum and wiki.

It isn't too complicated overall though. The 14 pin connection in the engine bay in front of your fuse box has the pins you need to send the signals to from the oil pressure sender and coolant temperature sender, that will make your dash guages work. The 14 pin connector also has a pin that is a straight shot to the fuel pump, so if you send fuel pump power to this connection from the ECU it will run the fuel pump. In the passenger side footwell there is an 8 (or 7?) pin connector that has a pin you'll need to send the tach signal to in order to make the tachometer work. Let me know if you hit a snag though and I can probably remember how I did it.

Last edited by Chrenan; 09-27-2018 at 10:55 AM.
Old 09-27-2018, 01:11 PM
Staging Lane

Looking good! Is that the BMW hydroboost setup? That's a different looking setup than I'm used to.
Thanks! It's definitely coming along. Progress feels slow, but I just try to focus on one system at a time and know that I'll get there eventually. Definitely want to get some miles in before the winter hits.

Yes, that's the H31 system from BMW. As far as I know, the main advantage is that it allows you to use the stock 951 MC. However, I think TPC has a converter that allows use of the 951 MC w/the Ford HB. I remember you have the Ford setup, but forget if you have the 951 MC. I think that functionally they are very similar, just that the H31 has a lot more plumbing due to the remote mounting of the "bomb". My setup is a little different, since I run manual steering. I also added a filter, figure it can't hurt

My setup is a little different, since I run manual steering. I also added a filter, figure it can't hurt especially considering the complexity and what I assume to relatively tight tolerances of the components.

Thanks for the info on the wiring. Hope to start working on that this weekend. Also nice to talk to someone that has done it recently. I know there is a lot of good information on 944 hybrids, but most of it seems to be 8 - 10 years old. Seems like most of the guys that did these swaps did them around that time and that the site is somewhat dead as far as activity goes.
Old 09-27-2018, 02:01 PM
Launching!

Very neat! I'm running the Ford hydroboost with the TPC adapter for the stock 951 master cylinder. Same as you, manual rack!
Old 10-08-2018, 10:42 PM
Teching In

Followed this thread for awhile and went to look at a 944 today, but it was a basket case and the owner wouldn't budge on price.

After looking at it I have to ask. What is the difference between an ls swapped 944 and C5? The wheelbase is much shorter and weight is less but comparing handling is the 944 better?
Old 10-09-2018, 09:11 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by stgdz
After looking at it I have to ask. What is the difference between an ls swapped 944 and C5? The wheelbase is much shorter and weight is less but comparing handling is the 944 better?
You’d have to ask someone with experience with both, I’ve never driven a C5, or any Corvette, in anger so I really couldn’t say.

If you’re asking does this swap swap make sense? Absolutely not, buy a C5 and you’ll be further ahead in terms of time and money for sure.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:24 AM
Launching!

Well, my last track day of the season was Saturday, then we got snow on Sunday, and then my fresh rims and tires arrived, so I guess I’ll have to wait til spring to try them out.

I’ve run a staggered setup of 8” front and 10” rear for years, but as my driving has gotten quicker I feel like I’m lacking some front end grip. Moving to this setup of 10” all round should give me some more front bite and allow me to swap wheels between front and back between track days to even out wear.

Enkei NT03M 18x10 with 265 35 Advan AD08R tires:

Last edited by Chrenan; 10-11-2018 at 12:15 PM.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:46 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I just picked up a LS 944

Fikses

(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 10-09-2018, 12:46 PM
Launching!

Looks like a very clean build! Manual brakes with remote reservoirs?
Old 10-09-2018, 12:55 PM
Staging Lane

Congrats on the Enkei's, those are really nice wheels. I run them with my summer tires on the WRX. Did you get them recently? I remember seeing a square setup for sale not too long ago, maybe on FB?

Those Fikses are sweet too!

Old 10-09-2018, 01:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 87944turbo
Congrats on the Enkei's, those are really nice wheels. I run them with my summer tires on the WRX. Did you get them recently? I remember seeing a square setup for sale not too long ago, maybe on FB?
I had an 09 base impreza as a daily, the wifey has a 15 impreza now, love me some boxer engines! The Enkei's do seem popular with the Subaru crowd and Ford Focus folks. I saw that square setup on Facebook and Rennlist for a 944, but it was too far from me and in the states, and the price wasn't good enough for me to bite. I got these from 1010tires, free shipping within Canada and mounting, so it seemed like the way to go.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:02 AM
Staging Lane

I had an 09 base impreza as a daily, the wifey has a 15 impreza now, love me some boxer engines! The Enkei's do seem popular with the Subaru crowd and Ford Focus folks. I saw that square setup on Facebook and Rennlist for a 944, but it was too far from me and in the states, and the price wasn't good enough for me to bite. I got these from 1010tires, free shipping within Canada and mounting, so it seemed like the way to go.
Sounds like a great deal on the wheels/tires. Yeah, the boxer engines are a lot of fun for sure, this is my second, I used to have an 02 WRX wagon. Subarus are tough to beat for all weather fun at an affordable price. Bought mine new in 2011, 46K trouble free miles! Will be time to break out the snow tires in another month or so.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:36 AM
Launching!

A few engine bay pictures, ran a fresh fuel hose to the rail which let me use a hose end to get rid of the blue coupler I had used before, the one blue fitting was bugging my OCD.

Last edited by Chrenan; 10-11-2018 at 12:14 PM.
Old 10-12-2018, 07:33 AM
Staging Lane

Hey Chernan, hope you don't mind me posting this in your thread, but I was wondering what you thought about this. I pulled this from the 944 conversion manual.

I remember reading earlier in your thread about how you checked for complete disengagement. Did you remove this spring as well? I can see how you would have issues if your clutch did not completely disengage. But this reads like removal of the spring is absolutely necessary to achieve complete disengagement. Really curious what your thoughts are.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:24 AM
Launching!

Neat, I’ve never seen the swap manual before!

OK, just to make sure we’re comparing apples to apples, I have the 7/8 clutch master from TPC. In my video of throw out action from earlier in this thread the clutch assist spring at the pedal was installed, however I backed the spring assist off completely (adjust to make the spring longer). General consensus from the experts here and on 944Hybrids was that I was getting plenty of throw out movement in the video.

So, with the spring assist backed off completely (adjust to make the spring longer) but the spring in place there was a weird “two stage” feel to the pedal. It was too light for the first half, then too heavy for the second half of the pedal travel and it would only return halfway up to the top of the heavy portion of the pedal travel. I then made small adjustments adding back in spring assist (making the spring shorter) until the pedal felt completely smooth and normal along its full travel (it took VERY VERY little spring assist to make this happen).

Hope that helps!
Old 10-12-2018, 11:45 AM
Staging Lane

^ That's great, thank you!

Yeah the manual is pretty cool. I got it from the guy I purchased my parts from. That image is from the web, the one I have is a little different (A different cover and maybe fewer pages?). I think I might have an earlier version. Anyway, there is a lot of good information in there. Clearly, as you have demonstrated, it's not like you can't complete this swap without it!

I think the most value comes in if you decide to manufacture your own swap parts. There are very detailed drawings in the manual that you could use to manufacture your own parts or have them manufactured. Some of the other areas (e.g. wiring in particular) are not that helpful.

Old 10-19-2018, 11:00 AM
On The Tree

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I helped Greg finance his first run of manuals. Got a signed copy laying around somewhere. It was very helpful at the time.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:08 AM
Launching!

Even though I've done the swap I'd still like a copy of the manual just out of interest, but they're pretty much unobtanium now, and were even when I started the project two years ago.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:48 PM
Teching In

https://sites.google.com/site/944v8conversions/

​​​​​​?
Old 10-19-2018, 08:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by stgdz
https://sites.google.com/site/944v8conversions/

​​​​​​?
No, that site will take the money and not send anything according to many members of the 944 LS community, not worth the risk for $55.

Quick Reply: 1987 944 Turbo --> LS