Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS4 Swap a Jetta

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 10:53 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS4 Swap a Jetta

Hey guys, I'm new on the thread. I was directed here from another forum and I'm in need of some help. I have a 2012 VW Jetta base model and I enjoy the look of the car but honestly it just doesn't have enough power. I've always had an obsession with LS motors and I am asking for your guys help on making such a swap possible. If you guys know anybody that has some good resources or knowledge on swapping a LS4 into a foreign car, it would be greatly appreciated. I'm really in need of some help to get a cradle made and electronics as that is going to be my two large humps that I have to accomplish. It's going to be a slow process as funds are going to be tight throughout the process but I want to do it right so I'll do what I need too. I'm very savvy with cars and have a great knowledge of them so it shouldn't be too hard if you guys start using acronyms and phrases.

Thank you guys,
Christopher
Old 02-06-2017, 07:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 198 Likes on 99 Posts

Sounds like a fun project! It will be easier if you keep the 4 speed auto that comes with the LS4. Unfortunately I can't help much with the interface to the VW chassis.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 463 Likes on 349 Posts

Christopher -- I suspect you'll be the first! Which means all the design/reinforcement/fab will be up to you to figure out. Back in 2013, someone asked a similar question ( http://volkswagenownersclub.com/vw/s...33814-LS4-SWAP ) and all we heard was the sound of crickets. You could always go this route.....
Old 02-07-2017, 01:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Completely different car, but there's a pretty well-documented recent thread about doing an LS4 swap into a Saturn - https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ghlight=saturn. That'll give you some idea of the level of pain you're looking at.

If you have to outsource all the fab work then I would say that "funds are going to be tight throughout" and "I want to do it right" are kind of mutually exclusive.
Old 02-07-2017, 05:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was going to send you to the Saturn build as well. some people don't mind a 5 year build but I want one thats a little shorter than that... Go ahead and buy a LS4 and trans so you can begin the mockup phase. Take measurements from your current car while you are still driving it and start planning what will have to be removed.

Maybe you can buy a rear ended Impala SS that has the LS4 cheaper... Paying a good shop to do the work is $75-150 per hour they work on your car. How many hours do you think this will take? - 60-100 hours? so, thats $4500 to $15,000 just in labor depending on how much work they do for you.
Old 02-07-2017, 05:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 463 Likes on 349 Posts

Speed - Quality - Economical --- you get to pick any 2. If funds are tight, and you want it done with high quality ------ it will take a LONG time.

Quick Reply: LS4 Swap a Jetta