Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1990 notch fox 5.3/th350

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 01:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1990 notch fox 5.3/th350

Havent posted here for many years, but iv been working on this for a bit, when time/money allows. The goal for the car is just a fun street car that will be a daily when done. Not worried about comfort or noise, no emissions here, and i also will not be dumping this thing on the ground. Will be nitrous now, turbo later.

The engine is a freshly rebuilt bottom end that i rebuilt while working at a race engine shop, I was planning to just flip it so i reused the factory dish pistons, had i known i would have at least thrown in some flat tops but oh well. The heads are ported 862's with nitro coated stainless 2.02/1.570. For now the cam is an ls6 i got for free from ctsv, rockers are stock with bronze bushings, 3/8 pushrods, and comp 918's. I also picked up a clean ls6 manifold and stock cable ls6 tb, rails, and injectors from a gto, but i also have some bosch 42# e85 compatible injectors i may use depending on duty cycle, but i live in colorado so we'll see.
Iv got a fresh built th350 and a 3500/3700 stall 10" converter, aje k member, speed engineering 1 7/8" longtubes, aje trans cross member, sn95 complete rear, spindles, brakes, and wheels.
For the fuel system iv got an aeromotive 340 and a pro m racing dual 3/8" an fitting pump hanger going to an aeromotive regulator, and -6 an trend e85 compatable fuel hose with trend push on an fittings.

I still need quite a few things and was wondering if you guys could weigh in.

Steering
manual or power? Iv got the 4cyl rack, and will run fbody accessories and could run the adapted lines and pressure regulator, but would like the cleanliness of the manual setup unless its terrible for a 245 front tire that will be daily driven, not a corner carver, just a fun street car.

ecm and harness.
I was planning on making my own harness from a used harness, but am open to suggestions.

Gages
stock fbody cluster in the fox dash seems easy, and i know i would have to adapt the fuel level sender, which i have heard can be done in the tune, and for the vss i got a dakota digital cable to elec converter. all other gages would be stock gm and the cluster would just plug in. I havent done a ton of research here so again, i am open to suggestions.

I'm sure I'll think of more questions soon.
Old 02-24-2017, 01:16 PM
TECH Resident

There's some time period differences here, but the upper pics are new, engine is in the car with the new balancer, headers are here but not on at the moment, and the car is on all four tires with the 5 lug stuff. As you can see, im going cheap for now with the stock springs, and some koni str's. I'll do coilovers and tubular arms in the future. I have 4 mouths to feed haha. The car is VERY clean, owned by an old lady its whole life and stayed here in colo so not even a hint of rust. Picked it up running and driving for 1500.

Last edited by 93TAJ.C.; 02-24-2017 at 01:22 PM.
Old 02-24-2017, 01:22 PM
Teching In

Good looking and clean start.
Old 02-24-2017, 01:40 PM
TECH Resident

Old 02-27-2017, 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm planning doing a fox body or new edge here soon I hope. Have you thought about using electric steering from a Chevy Equinox, or Toyota Prius.

Thanks.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:58 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Looks like a solid foundation to start with! Keep us updated.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:28 PM
On The Tree

Super clean fox!
Old 03-04-2017, 06:28 PM
TECH Resident

i haven't, i really don't like elec steer, its totally numb in my experience. I know the new vettes and stuff use it, but I'm all about simplicity.
Old 03-04-2017, 06:37 PM
TECH Resident

Made a little progress yesterday, bolted the headers in for the final time.They fit awesome. Ill be making my own steering shaft with a 35 dollar ujoint and the stock shaft with the rag cut off. Plenty of clearance for the shaft on both ends. Cut a little off the stock control arm on the pass side for header clearance.

Also ordered all my accessories, manual rack, plugs, wires, hurst quarter stick shifter with backup light switch, trans cooler, 30map fuel pump wire kit, and all the engine sensors today.

Still need ecm, harness, driveshaft, and the other million little odds and ends.

Last edited by 93TAJ.C.; 03-04-2017 at 06:43 PM.
Old 03-05-2017, 05:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Those headers are nice and there only $300 shipped right ?? Do they have a 3.0 collector ?? It seems like the drivers side header could be a little closer to the trans so that the exhaust clears the trans cross member better ??

I have built 3 Ls fox bodies and i converted to manual steering on all 3...
On all 3 of my Fox Mustangs i hide the headlight harness in the fender...
Good luck and vary nice fox for $1,500...
Attached Thumbnails 1990 notch fox 5.3/th350-freshpaint009_zps2voq0z1s.jpg  
Old 03-05-2017, 04:59 PM
Teching In

Nice build, which oil pan is that?
Old 03-08-2017, 04:44 AM
TECH Resident

Yes 300 for the headers. They are a 3" collector with 02 bugs. They could tuck a little better to the trans but it alot better than the pic looks, definitely worth 300.

Oil pan is a stock fbody from summit.

​​​​​
Old 03-12-2017, 09:37 PM
TECH Resident

Made more progress after getting an order of parts. Got a 100 dollar rack from ebay, works great. Got a 35 dollar ujoint and welded it to my stock shaft since the stock upper ujoint was perfect. tie rods were good so i used them, saved a ton of money doing all this and it feels way lighter than i thought it would, totally fine for a daily. Got the quarter stick shifter, all the engine sensors, mass air flow sensor, braided dipsticks, fuel pump wiring and relay for the aeromotive 340 setup. Lots of work to do now. I can install the whole fuel system, and shifter now. Looking at making may own engine harness, not that difficult, just alot of time into it if i go that route.

Old 03-12-2017, 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Is that a manual rack? If so, could you send the link?

Thanks.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:06 PM
On The Tree

+1 on that
Old 03-15-2017, 09:15 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Stampede4ever
Is that a manual rack? If so, could you send the link?

Thanks.
Just search it on eBay. I was 109 shipped. Seems fine, I'll know more when I get some miles on it.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:09 PM
9 Second Club

I run 225 70 15 on the front and no problems with a manual rack. not hard at all.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:40 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice to see another LS swap notch. Looking great so far. Here's my build thread if you need any ideas.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...l#post19497868
Old 03-24-2017, 06:29 PM
TECH Resident

Nice build man! My gameplan is the same as what you did, nitrous and then turbo. I would love to see similar numbers in spray. Iv got less cubes but ported heads and a th350. Ill gear it before i spray as well.
Old 03-24-2017, 06:59 PM
TECH Resident

So i'v been renting the same little house for 2 years, 1060 sq.ft. with a wife and 3 kids haha. I'v been a perfect tenant, never been late, let the home owner use her friends to do anything that ever needed fixed or replaced to save her money, and have even fixed many things around the house myself. The home owner approached me just a month or so ago and asked if i was going to stay another year, and i told her i had planned on it, so she said she was going to cut the realtor out and rent it to me directly and even drop my rent 75 bucks a month, she would just tell the realtor that she was going to rent it to a friend and didn't need them anymore. So a couple weeks ago i get a call from the realtor saying she was going to rent it to a family member, so i assumed she had called and cut them out so we could do what we had discussed. I then call to confirm this with the home owner, and she tells me she needs it back to rent it to her 22 year old son because he can't find a place to live. 22YEAR OLD MALE!! On top of all this my lease ended this month, so my wife and 3 kids had to move out in less than a month, that's it, no buffer or extra time allowed to find a place or time to save for a down payment on a house or a deposit on a rental. I kept my cool somehow and just started looking. Then my dad calls and tells me him and my mom are moving to ND indefinitely to take care of my grandparents because my uncle was moving away and my grandpa just had a heart attack and lives on the farm he was born on, and will NEVER leave. They have a 4000 sq.ft. house and he has his own business he runs right out of his garage doing auto repair, i even worked for him for a number of years doing anything from engine replacements timing belts, to body and paint, literally anything you could need done to a car. So I ended up having to just pick up and move into their house with myself and one other friend to help load a 26' uhaul. Yesterday was a long day but shes in a heated garage with all the tools i could need to get the build done. I'm pumped to have the shop, and thankful for the situation and a nice place to live. My parent needed to leave a bunch of stuff too, so they are renting it to me for what i was paying in my last place because I'm doing them a favor. I'll be taking over the business as well so i may even quit my job and finally try and start my own speed shop with my bro who gets out of the navy very soon, witch has been the plan for years, now we have a shop to start with, and a house we can share to have very little overhead. Anyways, didn't mean to write a book, but I'm recovering from a full day of moving and had the time haha. Oh and yesterday was 70 degrees, and last night a blizzard rolled through and iv got 4in. of snow and a lot of closed roads, glad we slammed it out in one day!

Quick Reply: 1990 notch fox 5.3/th350