Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1966 Buick LeSabre

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 01:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1966 Buick LeSabre

So I've been looking around the forum for a while and gathering the info I needed to pull off a swap in my 1 owner 1966 Buick LeSabre Custom 400 2Dr with 126k miles. I came into the car from a family member who purchased months earlier, (never changed title) realized he would not have time to do her the way she needed to get back right so I took it off his hands. Every since I was a kid it has pretty much been Chevy's & Buick's that got my attention....Especially the land yatch B Bodies. I've had my shares of both Impala's and LeSabre's/Centurion's over the years so they pretty much have grown on me. Anyway....As soon as I saw the car I was eyeing it and had been on a search to find a solid BOP or Chevy B Body 65-70. Came across a 68 Pontiac Catalina with a donor car that I picked up and a few weeks later loss to local fire at a friend's storage.

So went back to square one when the LeSabre became available. I picked it up without a second thought.
Bringing her home

The car was solid for the most parts. It still ran but the carb was shot.
Buick 340 4bbl

Interior was pretty bad. The package tray had small fire due to faulty speaker wire prior to owning it but no major damage. It was contained to the package tray.

No biggie since I'm planning on a full modern updated interior. It came with The numbers matching 340 with The ST400 switch pitch non a/c 's car.... No real major rust... only real issues being the windshield and back glass around the edges and if course the trunk lid. Typical of these years. Backglass....gotta love the old school caulking.lol
Front cowl
Trunk...yeah I know...

The idea of owning a "restomod" has always been on my to-do list so thought this would be the perfect platform for an LSX swap being such an odd ball. You see the Impala's, Caddi's even Wildcats and 225's but rarely a LeSabre. After looking around for a few months I decided to go with a 125k 5.3L from an 03 Avalanche off of eBay for 385 shipping included with a 6 month warranty. They had a video of the engine running before pulled and showed pressure etc at where it should be at operational temp, no smoking or knocking. Shipped to shop on Monday got it the following Monday. Having them clean up and check the block,rods etc. Its going to be pretty much a driver with so extra go. That being said I will be upgrading the rod and block bolts or studs as needed, cylinder walls all look good so staying with the stock pistons, gm muscle car pan, going with a stock gm LS9 cam for the T4 turbo (may be changing to custom grind) and still not sure of my intake. I don't plan on adding any shots so not sure yet if I will just go with a custom shaved truck intake or aftermarket L6 as I'm staying with the DBW set-up and 4L60E. Picked up a standalone from BP Automotive to bring everything to life.

Have had a lot of rain in my area over the last few months so haven't really been able to do much. Got the 340/ST400 pulled. Originally was going to go with rebuilding the switch pitch but a buddy had a deal on a 4l60a I couldn't look away from. Have cleaned up and painted most of the engine compartment. Still need to pull the old brake unit and replace with a hydroboost as well as upgrades coming to the steering box for quick ratio and control arms.

340/ST400 BOP TH400

Before

After
Still need to upgrade brakes to hydroboost,suspension and steering box. As well as take care of the firewall

Quick Reply: 1966 Buick LeSabre