Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with my first start!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 10:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help with my first start!

I've put together a stock LQ9, redid the wiring harness and have modified the ECM with HP Tuners, but the engine won't start and I have no idea why. I feel like I might have just missed something ECM-related but I'm going to post up everything I've done to verify. If anyone notices something off please let me know!

- Engine is stock LQ9, 2004 Escalade
- Wiring harness is a truck harness, EVAP removed and wiring cleaned up. Re-pinned for 4L80E.
- I do have all the coils/injectors/sensors +12 wired to the battery through one 16ga wire for testing
- All of the orange wires are hardwired to the battery for testing as well
- Tune is a 2004 Silverado with LQ9, and the only mods I've made are disabling VATS and disabling EVAP codes
- No belts connected
- O2 sensors not connected

My observations:
- Sensors seem to be working, I get oil pressure readings and RPM
- Timing light on wires shows spark on all cylinders. Not sure if there's actual spark but my timing light is firing.

I took a vid while cranking of the HPT interface, you can view it here: https://goo.gl/photos/BKFuRjaKE9MYzXPQ7

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-22-2017, 08:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Have you checked your fuel pressure? Verified that the injectors are spraying fuel? Double check your grounds, sometimes one will get missed.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:08 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks, I'm using a fuel system cleaner to provide fuel and pressure to the rails at 60psi. I'll check all of my sensor and chassis grounds today, and I noticed last night that my plugs were fouled with fuel so I'll clean those as well and cross my fingers.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:53 PM
Staging Lane

I did get it running after cleaning the plugs. I think that trying to run with VATS still enabled and also with some other issues caused my plugs to foul. I did notice a large amount of oil coming from the cylinders when cranking with no plugs in, hopefully that was just from flipping the engine around while working on it...

It is hard to start though, and I'm hoping that's just due to my O2 seonsors not being connected.

Quick Reply: Help with my first start!