Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RX7 LS1 Oil Pressure Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 10:04 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RX7 LS1 Oil Pressure Gauge

So I swapped a 2002 LS1 into a RX7 FC and I just got done helping some of my more wiring-savvy buddies complete the wiring process.

As we were hooking everything up, it appears that the connector for the oil pressure sending unit has been eliminated from the harness; i had the harness simplified for my swap by a shop. My question is, am I stuck running a mechanical oil pressure gauge into the cabin via one of the adapters behind the intake, or can i simply replace the oem connector and run the wire directly to an aftermarket electrical gauge? Would a new oem connector need to run to the BCM/PCM, or can it go directly from the sensor to a new aftermarket gauge?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 463 Likes on 349 Posts

Everything I've seen indicates that some sort of computer (bcm/pcm) has to process that factory sender feed and output something suitable for a gauge.....in any event, I mounted my OEM sender (matches my Volvo VDO OEM gauge) in my oil cooler plumbing. So the OEM gauge works just as it did with the OEM engine - completely separate and apart from the engine harness/computer. You could do that with an aftermarket sender/gauge. For oil temp - same approach, found my OEM sender in proper thread size to screw right into one of the plugged/threaded holes into the oil passage right above the oil filter -- you could also sense oil pressure there if you like.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

You're almost always better off to use the sender that was made for the gauge you're using. The factory one may work somewhat, but how accurate it will be is anyone's guess. I would do as suggested and use the sender for your gauge and either get an adapter to put it in the factory location or just do what I do and break off the plastic part of the LS sender and drill and tap the aluminum part to fit your aftermarket sender.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:45 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good info, thanks.

There is very limited room between my intake/the firewall, so I may have to run some line and relocate an aftermarket sender depending on its size. Thanks again.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

You can also drilland tap the bypass block above the oil filter.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,388 Likes on 877 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
You can also drilland tap the bypass block above the oil filter.
When I built my FC...jesus...14 years ago? I used the stock RX7 (I had a TII) sending unit and drilled and tapped a F-body bypass block. Worked like a charm...

Andrew

Quick Reply: RX7 LS1 Oil Pressure Gauge