Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 LM7 Swap/Build Questions

Old 05-03-2017, 05:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 LM7 Swap/Build Questions

I am beginning an LS swap. I aquired a 5.3 LM7 and TH400 Trans for the project. I have the complete engine. Wiring harness, computer, accessories etc. Im building the engine first before building my wiring harness. Im going to build it to run N/A until its in and I have all the swap bugs worked out then putting a pair of turbos on it. The one biggest question i have is do I have it bored to 3.905 and put ls1 pistons in it. Will i see enough of a gain to justify 1500+ in machining and parts. Im thinking I will make more than enough power with turbos. I have access to a tuner to help tune it. Ive already been told the stock 5.3 bottom end will hold the power im planning on. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-05-2017, 05:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Stevedemo
I am beginning an LS swap. I aquired a 5.3 LM7 and TH400 Trans for the project. I have the complete engine. Wiring harness, computer, accessories etc. Im building the engine first before building my wiring harness. Im going to build it to run N/A until its in and I have all the swap bugs worked out then putting a pair of turbos on it. The one biggest question i have is do I have it bored to 3.905 and put ls1 pistons in it. Will i see enough of a gain to justify 1500+ in machining and parts. Im thinking I will make more than enough power with turbos. I have access to a tuner to help tune it. Ive already been told the stock 5.3 bottom end will hold the power im planning on. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
the 5.3 with turbos will have plenty of power plus it will be stronger than boring out to a 5.7. The best thing to do is increase the ring gap if you plan on big power.
Old 05-05-2017, 06:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gagliano7
the 5.3 with turbos will have plenty of power plus it will be stronger than boring out to a 5.7. The best thing to do is increase the ring gap if you plan on big power.
what do you recommend for ring gaps. Another thing I noticed I have 862 heads and they have the notch. Anyway to use mls gaskets without welding the heads or getting different ones?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5.3 LM7 Swap/Build Questions