Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BMW + 427ci 7.0l + full-on build

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 09:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,019 Likes on 2,350 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Yount
............" Barbara Bush is better looking than Janet Reno"....
Oh PULEEEEZE! You had to post this JUST after I ate??? lol
Old 11-27-2017, 06:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 463 Likes on 349 Posts

....and that's what you get for opening up LS1tech right after a meal....
Old 11-27-2017, 10:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

....and that's what you get for opening up LS1tech right after a meal....
Yeah.... it's ALL my fault! lol ....Just gotta be fast on the draw suppressing the gag reflex....
Old 11-28-2017, 03:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote location for coolant in to motor - my solution

Had to laugh -- first thought was "saying it's higher than other important bits is kind of like saying Barbara Bush is better looking than Janet Reno"....

Not so bad for a track rat I 'spose. I can still remember getting cross-ways up on high alligatored curbs at Texas World Speedway infield track and grinding a flat off of the drain plug on the oil pan of my ITC car a few decades ago. Sounded worse inside the car than it turned out being.

Old 11-28-2017, 04:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

ALWAYS been a firm believer in the KISS principle.....
Old 12-01-2017, 11:23 AM
On The Tree

You sure have some skills!
Old 12-01-2017, 11:38 AM
8 Second Club

Received 944 Likes on 700 Posts

Awesome build, cant wait to see some pics of it on track!
Old 12-04-2017, 06:24 PM
On The Tree

Default Closer... nearly daily now

Originally Posted by Mungface78
You sure have some skills!
Thx to local Oreilly for allowing my perusal of the hoses in stock - effort netted me two upper radiator hoses that can marry to work in my application
Measure, measure, tape, cut
Jags That Run 1 1/4” - 1 1/2” billet hose adapter
For Records File Folder
Wow... not bad for a wanna be
Now to order proper clamps that don’t chew up the hoses when tightening... Amazon search shows $7.50.11/EACH!!! Good grief... and I still have to conjure up a lower hose to work... 2moro
Old 12-04-2017, 06:45 PM
TECH Junkie

My local Advance Auto (Thanks Dee!!!) was happy to let me spend about 45 minutes back in the parts room with the hoses -- bent coat hangers and tape measure in hand. Just a simple cut off of one end allowed a Toyota Corolla hose to work on the upper; the lower was a cut-in-half hose for some 1968 AMC product.

By the way - in almost 50 years of playing with cars and trucks, I've never 1) seen a hose actually fail because the slotted stainless clamp cut into it, and 2) never seen the clamp cut into a hose unless someone over-tightens the hell out of it. The main problem is usually someone trying to force a hose that was too big to start with to seal by continuing to crank on that clamp screw.

Nonetheless, ideal are the 'spring' clamps that maintain their force while allowing things to expand/contract.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:22 AM
On The Tree

Default Radiator and home-made air mgmt and coolant etc

Looks great and sounds great... just need to find my Tilton reservoir leak, fix it, then test drive
Yeah... you too?
Low speed and high speed (pressure differential) mgmt - flaps will be added later
Lowe’s within walking distance = ...
All fitting so smartly that it looks like I just bought it all ready to fit

Old 01-09-2018, 01:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Gorgeous!
Old 01-09-2018, 03:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Pretty cool implementation on the fan shroud - can you explain a bit more about what materials you used? Looks like aluminum C-channel to form the outer rim, vertical C-channel ribs for the fan to bolt onto, and then plexiglass across the back? How much distance did you end up with between the fan and the back of the radiator? My understanding is that you need 1" or more of space for the shroud to be worthwhile.
Old 01-09-2018, 05:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
My understanding is that you need 1" or more of space for the shroud to be worthwhile.
My experience has been different. My fans sit about 1/2" away from the core -- dual 11" SPAL fully shrouded/flapped set up. Has performed flawlessly for over 15 years cooling both with a hotted-up Ford 5.0L and now the LS3 in mine. I was also very careful with airflow up front -- everything entering the grill area and the opening below the bumper is ducted/sealed off so it flows across the rad/condenser. FWIW....

BMW + 427ci 7.0l + full-on build-c8rr8vy.jpg
Old 01-12-2018, 10:51 AM
On The Tree

Default Radiator box design decision/s

Thank you for your genuine interest - I must caveat my response by stating that my procurement of this vehicle mid-build from a buddy bore out of his necessity to end his effort due to family needs. I had been involved each decision step since we first trailered his ‘car find’ many many years ago. To that end, there were purchases of parts that remained in boxes... 1 of those being this MZ3 radiator- and it’s associated fan and assy from Mishimoto. That’s ~$600 worth of old money spent - and I had to make decision to ‘make it work’ - in lieu of selling all at 50% and buying a street rod or other pre-made Cooling “system”.

After my considerable research (and experience with my other BMW road race car), I decided that any effort beyond pinning a fan to a radiator like most do would be an improvement.

I'm NO Fab guy by trade education or dads help etc... but I’m no dummy so, “how hard can it be” motivation had to drive action.

Yes, U-Channel aluminum material was bought at my walking-distance Lowe’s and I measured twice and cut once - as I learned from a Cracker Jack box in the late ‘70s!!! The two inner vertical ribs have been sectioned to allow fan to draw air to center section before being dispelled by the moving puller fan.

If pressure differences front/rear fore/aft dictate faster air flow my holes drilled in my ‘high-temp plexiglass’ are there to let straight line air to keep passing the outlet side of the radiator. If I determine I need to slow air down to keep more heat I can make allowances... and if I need air to move more quickly I’ll know that by way of temps logging.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:59 PM
On The Tree

Pass side cavity prior to hole cutting - note the ‘channeling’ of support so air can move towards fan and out. The fan blades are 1 full inch away from radiator fins...
Shower time cleaning for radiator - I can’t have any debris in this thing to ruin my 1 of 1 creation!
My thought process when looking down at onset of fan shroud effort, “uhhhhhhhhh, do something”!!!
Old 01-12-2018, 01:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm sure you thought this through based on the rest of your build. If not... some will hang (via rivets) neoprene or other rubber flaps over the holes in the radiator shroud to function as a check valve so air doesn't come in from the engine bay side and out the fan. (path of least resistance)

And some other info:
I built a similar shroud to yours on an $180 2 row Speedway radiator for my '51 truck build. But out of aluminum and welded the shroud in place. I don't have the holes you added on the side, but figured I'd just start with the big hole for the 16" SPAL fan.

I've had sufficient cooling with just that in ambients up to about 100F, including running AC. I think I saw 195F on the freeway @ speed in high ambient temps (100F ish). I'm sure it'd work better with auxiliary holes in that condition.

Obviously, you can add flaps later.

Great work!

Doug
Old 01-12-2018, 01:16 PM
On The Tree

Default After starting a few times, issues arise

New custom made brakes lines spanning from bottom of Tilton Brake Fluid reservoir appear to be leaking... Welp I guess I take everything apart and figure it out - remove new fluid lines etc and test away

Also, my 1 serpentine belt appears to not like staying in groves of ATI damper pulley... it will be awesomely not-awesome if I have to pull that damper and start over :-(

Last edited by MUL8NO1; 01-12-2018 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Need pics with words eh...
Old 01-12-2018, 01:28 PM
On The Tree

Default Align

Sooooo... dumb problem to have... did I push the damper hub on too far? Not likely given it ‘stops’ inboard of Timing cover at oil pump - uhmm...
Can’t dyno tune car with this belt condition
Two of three poorly made brakes lines were culprit for leaks coming off bottom of Tilton reservoir... a trip to dirt track store for pre-fab lengths in a bag brake lines - Twas an easy remedy - especially compared to how ever the heck I’m going to remedy my damper/belt misalignment.

I’ve loosened the katech belt tensioner and repositioned the belt on damper - but belt won’t stay aligned in all groves.

Earlier this year I did in fact have a machine shop machine my damper hub down a bit - I think it was .030 not 2-3mm

Last edited by MUL8NO1; 01-12-2018 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-12-2018, 02:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by DW SD
I'm sure you thought this through based on the rest of your build. If not... some will hang (via rivets) neoprene or other rubber flaps over the holes in the radiator shroud to function as a check valve so air doesn't come in from the engine bay side and out the fan. (path of least resistance)
From OP's post #50 above -- "flaps will be added later"
Old 01-12-2018, 02:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

From OP's post #50 above -- "flaps will be added later"
Hey!
I love being right

Quick Reply: BMW + 427ci 7.0l + full-on build