Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Efi harness to painless chassis harness(63chevy pickup)

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 08:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Efi harness to painless chassis harness(63chevy pickup)

I'm in the process of hooking up a 6.0 liter in a 63 Chevy truck. I'm down to a few wiring questions that I can probably do by trial and error but would rather do it right and clean the first time. So, the new alternator wires direct to ecm, and I think I need to add my main alternator wire from my chassis harness but not the alternator exciter wire. I also need to install a jumper from the starter to the alternator. The painless harness has a wire that goes to the coil and I think that is just a switched (key on power) line so that can go to the ecm start run wire. Fuel pump wire should be 12ga and I think is internally wired to a relay in the efi fuse box. Does all this sound correct? Also how important is an exhaust crossover for an ls motor? and I am using a spectre intake with a k and n style filter can that go behind the battery on the passenger side or does it need more access to cold intake air?
Thanks in advance for any input
Adam
Old 06-13-2017, 11:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,388 Likes on 877 Posts

Adam,

All that sounds about right. I don't have a crossover in my Cougar and it's fine. The exhaust note is choppy, but sounds good. Engine Masters just recently made dyno comparisons of no cross-over, H-pipe, and X-pipe. The H-pipe was worth some torque down low. There was virtually no difference between a H-pipe and a X-pipe, other than sound at higher RPMs.

You want the air filter to get as much cold air as possible. If it's just in the engine bay, then it is a hot air intake and will hurt HP somewhat, because the ECU will pull timing as IATs go up.

Andrew

Andrew

Quick Reply: Efi harness to painless chassis harness(63chevy pickup)