Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3rd Gen swap Wiring questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 06:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3rd Gen swap Wiring questions

Everything is done except some wiring. First off the motor is a 2000 with a '02 emissions free harness. PCM is a 99. my car is a 91 Camaro, formally a TBI. The tranny I have bolted up to the LS1 is indeed a 700R4.

First question, how many wires exactly do you generally need to splice into the 3rd gen from the LS1 to complete this? Examples of those wires like what they do would be great. (Just in case I forgot any of the important ones)

2nd, What do I do about the alternator? On my car I have a 4 pin connector that uses 2 wires, brown(volt gauge) and red. The LS1 Engine harness has a connector that only uses one small red wire. Now I figured I could just plug in the LS1 harness plug and ignore the 3rd gen one, while still using the stock 3rd gen Battery cable on there tho of course. Will that work? If so what do I do about the brown gauge wire from the 3rd gen connector to get that gauge to work?

3rd. Fuel Pump Relay. I have a green/white, which is the fuel enable control from the PCM to get the pump working right? So all I have to do is splice that into the GRN/WHT Fuel Pump Relay Control wire from the LS1 Harness on one of the C100-105 connectors and that should work right? Then I have a cut grey wire... What do I do with that? it seemed to go tward the old stock TBI computer. I already deleted the oil pressure sending unit half of that grey wire so its not that. Are those the only 2 wires on the fuel pump relay I need to worry about for thew fuel system to work correctly?

4th. I have a 700R4 so my stock Speedo connector to the tranny will work and so will my gauge. My question is... I know the PCM needs to know the accurate speed of the car, so how should I splice the LS1 harness into my stock speedo wires to read the accurate speed?

5th. With the 700R4 what can I do about the TCC/Lockup??

6th. Fan switch. How do I convert the wiring from the LS1 harness's 2 wire control to accuratly work from my one wire stock fan connector so the fan spin at the accurate high and low speeds when its instructed to?

I think thats everything I need to know at the moment. I am sure I will have more later. I dont think the gauges will be a problem, I think I have those under control. I just want to make sure that I have the wiring correct for starting of the car and the normal functions of the engine to work properly without me having issues or some horrible meltdown or wiring. If there is anything I am forgetting please let me know. I have helms so I will understand the correct connector numbers and pins. Thanks a lot guys I really appriciate it.

Last edited by Knyghtmare; 06-29-2004 at 05:03 PM.
Old 06-29-2004, 05:02 PM
On The Tree

No one can help me/knows? These are all I think I need answered to get this thing to run....

Oh one more. On C230 there is a couple pins I am not sure if I need them. C230/A [5 Volt Reference], C230/G [Low Reference] and C230/E [Fuel Enable Control] I am not sure if I need to do anything with these. If I need them where do I go with em?
Old 06-30-2004, 08:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's a reason Speartech and others charge what they do for harness modifications...it's labor intensive and you have to to thru every single pin to map the engine harness to the chassis harness.

It took me several nights and a weekend w/ my nose buried in Helms manuals to generate the pin map and fabricate a conversion harness. Would take me several evenings to transcribe the notes into something legible, and it would be ~50% worthless to anyone not doing that exact same swap...'01 LS1 into an '82 Camaro. The 3rd gen chassis harness changed quite a bit over the years, so my '82 C100 and C207 pinouts aren't the same as yours. I learned this the hard way when I swapped an '88 TPI into the '82 years ago...the diff between '82 and '88 chassis pinouts was unbelievable.

I'd recommend shopping eBay for Helms manuals to match your LS1 year and your 3rd gen.
Old 06-30-2004, 03:31 PM
On The Tree

Yeah, I have helms for both cars, and I have everything mapped out. Did it sound like I didnt have them or something? I have all the wires picked out. I just need these couple of questions answered because I have a few loose ends (literally). There is just a couple wires that I dont know what to do with or if I even need them. I am doing all the labor myself. I am not an electrical engineer or a GM electrical technician here, I just have some questions that need answereing is all, becaue I honestly dont know.
Old 07-02-2004, 05:57 PM
Launching!

Hey man, I have my wiring diagrams here now, so I'll try to help a little.

First, I couldnt tell you how many splices I had to make, but roughly 15 for the LS1 connections and about 50 for the rest of the car, but my wiring was a mess to start with, and also dont forget my car is a 89 so... They are going to be different. And using that 700R4 has got me in the dark on the gauges and such.

2. All you should have to do is hook up the charging wire on the back of the alternator. Alt. to batt. / batt. to starter. Thats how I did it and its working good.

3. C101 pin D, Dk. green/white - PCM 9 - Fuel Pump relay control. If the old gray wire goes to the old ECM, then you dont need it.

4. ???? Hopefully someone else can help out.

5. You could hook up a manual switch to turn it on and off, but I dont know if there is some way you can get the LS1's PCM to control it.

6. I have mine hooked up to c100 J at the moment, but I still dont know what temp that the fan will turn on with that wire. I may just end up splicing both C100 H and J together then splicing them to the Relay's control wire. I also have another wire routed to the inside of the car for a manual turn on switch. Also the single fan is going to spin at the same speed not matter when its turned on, I hope anyways.

And the other question: C230 A and G you wont use, but E you will. E is for Theft Deterent Fuel enable. VATS in other words. This wire is going to a Vats bypass box that I got off of EBAY from a company called Baker Electronics. It only cost about $30 and has only 3 wires, so its easy to hook up. You will need this or you can try to wire in the stock Vats system.

Let us know how its going.
Old 07-24-2004, 09:12 AM
Teching In

If you're still stumped, it wouldn't hurt to give Speartech a call. http://www.speartech.com/ If your polite they may give some advice.

Speartech does great work btw. Sent them my '89 wiring harness w/2000 LS1 wiring harness, and it came back ****! There was only one connector that was mistakenly put on for the fuel system. They shipped the correct connector, mechanic wired it up and the car fired right up! Even have the Service engine light back
Old 07-24-2004, 11:10 AM
On The Tree

Yeah thanks. I am good right now.
Old 07-31-2004, 10:52 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For anyone else out there like me doing this swap, check out Hawk's 3rd gen Parts. I talked to Bruce over there the other day and I think I'm going with him instead of Speartech. Hawk's harness turn around and service is supposed to be much better and they are cheaper. Just some info I thought I'd pass along. I can't wait to get mine up and running
Old 08-04-2004, 10:45 AM
9 Second Club/LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, he's a real class act. Notice how all of his wiring harness pictures are stolen directly from our website!

http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/ls1_conversion_

http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/in...?v=1&pid=17191

See if those pics match up with anything here :
http://www.speartech.com/customharnessinfo.html

We are extremely busy right now, so the turn around times are running a little slow.

You might get quicker service at some other places, but you won't get better service anywhere!

91 Z28 LS2 408CI, LS9 Supercharger, LPE GT7 cam, Yank3000, 3450 raceweight.
Latest numbers: 9.71 ET, 141.42 MPH, 1.40 60' , 610 RWHP Mustang Dyno

www.speartech.com
Old 08-04-2004, 11:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know Bruce@Hawk's credentials, but John@Speartech is a former GM engineer and that experience is tough to beat. I bought one of Speartech's benchtop programming harnesses and it's exceptionally well built.

With this said, I did my own LS1 swap wiring harness...as a former GE engineer I felt I had it under control.
Old 03-29-2019, 10:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by crainholio
There's a reason Speartech and others charge what they do for harness modifications...it's labor intensive and you have to to thru every single pin to map the engine harness to the chassis harness.

It took me several nights and a weekend w/ my nose buried in Helms manuals to generate the pin map and fabricate a conversion harness. Would take me several evenings to transcribe the notes into something legible, and it would be ~50% worthless to anyone not doing that exact same swap...'01 LS1 into an '82 Camaro. The 3rd gen chassis harness changed quite a bit over the years, so my '82 C100 and C207 pinouts aren't the same as yours. I learned this the hard way when I swapped an '88 TPI into the '82 years ago...the diff between '82 and '88 chassis pinouts was unbelievable.

I'd recommend shopping eBay for Helms manuals to match your LS1 year and your 3rd gen.
So I'm doing a swap on an 82 as well. I'm putting a lm7 in mine. At the moment I'm having some trouble with the c207 wires. I cut mine that went to the stock pcm and I don't have crank power at the moment. I have a purple wire that comes from the crank fuse and went to the stock pcm should I run that wire to the small lug on the starter?
Old 03-29-2019, 11:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

You're responding to a 14-year old thread. You MIGHT get a reply...
Old 03-30-2019, 09:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try this..

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/ltx-...-pcm-into.html

0411 pcm wiring into a third gen fbody.
Old 04-03-2019, 08:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Knyghtmare
Everything is done except some wiring. First off the motor is a 2000 with a '02 emissions free harness. PCM is a 99. my car is a 91 Camaro, formally a TBI. The tranny I have bolted up to the LS1 is indeed a 700R4.

First question, how many wires exactly do you generally need to splice into the 3rd gen from the LS1 to complete this? Examples of those wires like what they do would be great. (Just in case I forgot any of the important ones)

2nd, What do I do about the alternator? On my car I have a 4 pin connector that uses 2 wires, brown(volt gauge) and red. The LS1 Engine harness has a connector that only uses one small red wire. Now I figured I could just plug in the LS1 harness plug and ignore the 3rd gen one, while still using the stock 3rd gen Battery cable on there tho of course. Will that work? If so what do I do about the brown gauge wire from the 3rd gen connector to get that gauge to w
3rd. Fuel Pump Relay. I have a green/white, which is the fuel enable control from the PCM to get the pump working right? So all I have to do is splice that into the GRN/WHT Fuel Pump Relay Control wire from the LS1 Harness on one of the C100-105 connectors and that should work right? Then I have a cut grey wire... What do I do with that? it seemed to go tward the old stock TBI computer. I already deleted the oil pressure sending unit half of that grey wire so its not that. Are those the only 2 wires on the fuel pump relay I need to worry about for thew fuel system to work correctly?

4th. I have a 700R4 so my stock Speedo connector to the tranny will work and so will my gauge. My question is... I know the PCM needs to know the accurate speed of the car, so how should I splice the LS1 harness into my stock speedo wires to read the accurate speed?

5th. With the 700R4 what can I do about the TCC/Lockup??

6th. Fan switch. How do I convert the wiring from the LS1 harness's 2 wire control to accuratly work from my one wire stock fan connector so the fan spin at the accurate high and low speeds when its instructed to?

I think thats everything I need to know at the moment. I am sure I will have more later. I dont think the gauges will be a problem, I think I have those under control. I just want to make sure that I have the wiring correct for starting of the car and the normal functions of the engine to work properly without me having issues or some horrible meltdown or wiring. If there is anything I am forgetting please let me know. I have helms so I will understand the correct connector numbers and pins. Thanks a lot guys I really appriciate it.
I am swapping a LS3 into a 48 studebaker ,so I feel your pain. Here are a Couple of sites might help: lt1swap.com ,this guy modifies harnesses, and reprograms computers, his website is full of info so you can DIY,including complete pinouts for every LS engine,on YOUTUBE : LS wiring harness ,standalone,Project Rowdy, This guy shows ,step by step, how to modify a harness ,remove unused wiring,add new fusebox ,all necessary relays etc.. This is very detailed (6 parts) but worth it,he has 70,000 views. I hope this helps.
Old 04-03-2019, 10:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Originally Posted by 48studebakerbusinesc
I am swapping a LS3 into a 48 studebaker ,so I feel your pain. Here are a Couple of sites might help: lt1swap.com ,this guy modifies harnesses, and reprograms computers, his website is full of info so you can DIY,including complete pinouts for every LS engine,on YOUTUBE : LS wiring harness ,standalone,Project Rowdy, This guy shows ,step by step, how to modify a harness ,remove unused wiring,add new fusebox ,all necessary relays etc.. This is very detailed (6 parts) but worth it,he has 70,000 views. I hope this helps.
The guy you are responding to hasn't been around for 9 years.... but this is great info for anyone else needing it!
Old 04-04-2019, 05:08 AM
Teching In

[QUOTE=G Atsma;20075021]The guy you are responding to hasn't been around for 9 years.... but this is great info for anyone else needing it![/QUOTE. I thought it was a current thread,as last few posts were new.I am attempting to start the Studebaker this Weekend and will post on my thread the results.It seems like getting any LS engine to run stand alone would be valuable knowledge to anyone doing a swap.Once you have it running you can add anything (or in my case nothing).]

Quick Reply: 3rd Gen swap Wiring questions