Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Egr

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 10:45 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Egr

I am installing a GenIII engine into my old pickup. I used a 2007 5.3L LC9 as a donor engine. This is my issue: I have three EGR outlets: one on each valve cover and one coming out of the valley cover. The donor intake manifold has plumbing to accommodate one of those outlets which is the valve cover on the rear driver side. The manifold has no other ports that could accommodate the remaining two ports. I want to keep those functioning to properly vent the engine. I suppose I could plumb all three together; however, there may be a more elegant and useful solution. Has anyone else had and solved this problem? Thanks in advance!
Old 07-21-2017, 11:36 AM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

That would be PCV, not EGR. Vacuum will go typically to one side valve cover,the others can be vented to the atmosphere with a small filter or use a catch can set up from any of the LS vendors.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:41 PM
Teching In

Default Egr

Thanks TFI Racing! When you explain it like that it makes perfect sense. Thanks for the fast reply!
Old 07-21-2017, 12:51 PM
Teching In

I have one other question that I would like to throw out there. In the rear of the Intake Manifold is a ~5/8 inch rubber hose, approximately 2 feet long with a stubby right angle fitting that appears to have been designed to push fit into some sort of grommeted receptacle. Does anyone know it's purpose and if not needed on a replacement engine for an old truck, can it be removed/plugged? Thanks in advance!
Old 07-21-2017, 12:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RedRascal
I have one other question that I would like to throw out there. In the rear of the Intake Manifold is a ~5/8 inch rubber hose, approximately 2 feet long with a stubby right angle fitting that appears to have been designed to push fit into some sort of grommeted receptacle. Does anyone know it's purpose and if not needed on a replacement engine for an old truck, can it be removed/plugged? Thanks in advance!

Brake Booster line
Old 07-21-2017, 01:43 PM
Teching In

Floader:
Yep, that's what it is. I recognize the booster fitting now. Mr Obvious might say, "Huh, I never made the connection." Thanks again!!
Old 07-21-2017, 05:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 132 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRascal
Floader:
Yep, that's what it is. I recognize the booster fitting now. Mr Obvious might say, "Huh, I never made the connection." Thanks again!!
GM makes a plug that goes there for vans and trucks that use hydroboost instead of vacuum power brakes.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 463 Likes on 349 Posts

Is there an orifice to restrict flow in the valve cover connections?

I realize my engine is different (new LS3), but on mine the "vacuum" connection occurs through a short hose that connects the intake (right behind the throttle body) to the lifter valley. The connection to the valve cover is for make up air -- pulled from the air inlet tube downstream of the mass air sensor - so that the air pulled from the crankcase into the intake manifold to be part of the combustion air is metered. I only need make up air on one side or the other -- the other valve cover vent can be capped.

FWIW

Since the PCV restrictor is in the valve cover for the 5.3L LC9 (I think) -- shouldn't the make up air into the other valve cover come from air inlet tube downstream of the mass air meter instead of from atmosphere (through a "filter")? Won't make up air from atmosphere essentially be a vacuum leak? Trying to learn...

Last edited by Michael Yount; 07-21-2017 at 06:50 PM.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

I would think ANY air to be burned in the engine should be metered, to keep air/fuel ratio consistent.

Quick Reply: Egr