Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Twin Turbo Chevelle

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 10:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Twin Turbo Chevelle

Hello to all and welcome as I try to lay down 700 whp this year in pursuit of 1000 whp in the coming years.

Goal is to accomplish this task before the end of September and get asked to leave an 1/8 mile track because I don't have a cage.

Little background on the car. Bought when I was 18 with a tuition re-reimbursement check! Best choice ever. Her first heart was a 350 punched .60 over and was tons of fun. Then came the 12 bolt with 4:11's, it work it up from having the 3.08's. Now she is 3.73's. Then came across a high mileage LQ4, 4L80e with all the goodies. From there about 2 years came and gone till I got to hear it run. Since then she has made 427 and 432 to the ground. She loves her smoky burnouts and loves to run.

I always knew I wanted to make choo choo noises someday but didn't think I would ever get there. Well here is the day. I have a set of 6765's from VS racing, forward LS headers, 3 inch intercooler, 80 lbs injectors, Walbor 450 pump, and the misc goodies.

Specs:
72 Chevelle
LQ4
-stock rotating assembly
-stock heads
-FAST 92MM Intake
-FAST 92MM Throttle body
-42lbs injectors
-230/228 .612/.588 LSA 111 +2
-long tube headers

4L80e
-monster transmission rebuild
-monster 2300-2500 HD stall

12 bolt
-posi

275/60R15 in the rear
28X11R15 slicks for the track
Best track time is 12.813 (street tire)

She weights 3920 lbs with driver, fuel, and full interior. She made 427HP (6050 rpms) and 432lbs (4900 rpms) on the dyno.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails Another Twin Turbo Chevelle-chevelle.jpg   Another Twin Turbo Chevelle-old-350.jpg   Another Twin Turbo Chevelle-lq4.jpg   Another Twin Turbo Chevelle-disassembled-lq4.jpg   Another Twin Turbo Chevelle-lq4-going-.jpg  

Another Twin Turbo Chevelle-dyno-day.jpg   Another Twin Turbo Chevelle-turbo.jpg   Another Twin Turbo Chevelle-boxes.jpg   Another Twin Turbo Chevelle-injectors.jpg  
Old 07-25-2017, 11:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

so the 427 / 432 was to the rear wheels - No turbo? That's pretty good.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

So the 427/432 was to the rear wheels Without turbo? Pretty good.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:35 AM
Teching In

So what work did you do to the LQ4 to get that kinda HP? Anything done other than what you listed?

I have an LQ4 going in a 67 Chevelle. Im debating on getting the 243 heads to bump the
compression up around 10:1. I plan on going with a carb efi and self learn ecu though
Old 07-25-2017, 11:43 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Alwhite00
so the 427 / 432 was to the rear wheels - No turbo? That's pretty good.
Yep! To the wheels NA, with my base tune from the guy who unlocked my PCM and just went off what parts I installed I made like 396 to the wheels. After a few passes and changing the tune her final numbers were 427/432. I was very happy.

I was also happy because that was made with full accessory drive, 28in tire, and a tubby 4L80e transmission.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:46 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by gpracer15
So what work did you do to the LQ4 to get that kinda HP? Anything done other than what you listed?

I have an LQ4 going in a 67 Chevelle. Im debating on getting the 243 heads to bump the
compression up around 10:1. I plan on going with a carb efi and self learn ecu though
Nothing more than whats listed. I could stand to gain lower IAT by moving my intake to actually taking in colder ambient air. Right now it comes off the throttle body, 90's then there is a cone filter on it.

I thought about that during my build but opted against it because I knew I wanted to boost one day and would benefit from the lower compression.

I was shocked at the power output too. I mean the engine specs out at 300/330 crank factory and they estimated that I am 485ish at the crank now. So 185 from Cam, Intake, Injectors, Throttle Body, and tune isn't bad by any means.

Any specific reason you want to keep the carb?

Mike
Old 07-25-2017, 12:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MN72Chevelle
Nothing more than whats listed. I could stand to gain lower IAT by moving my intake to actually taking in colder ambient air. Right now it comes off the throttle body, 90's then there is a cone filter on it.

I thought about that during my build but opted against it because I knew I wanted to boost one day and would benefit from the lower compression.

I was shocked at the power output too. I mean the engine specs out at 300/330 crank factory and they estimated that I am 485ish at the crank now. So 185 from Cam, Intake, Injectors, Throttle Body, and tune isn't bad by any means.

Any specific reason you want to keep the carb?

Mike
I was going with the Holley Terminator EFI carb set up. Mainly for the fact the ECU is self learn as well as the EFI carb makes it more of a classic look.

I figured that would be the simple route for me lol....

I have the LQ4 with an Edelbrock carb intake already so thats some of the reason as well.

I wanted to go with a mild twin turbo set up but I lack knowledge, cash, and skills in that department.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:31 PM
Teching In

I was going with the Holley Terminator EFI carb set up. Mainly for the fact the ECU is self learn as well as the EFI carb makes it more of a classic look.

I figured that would be the simple route for me lol....

I have the LQ4 with an Edelbrock carb intake already so thats some of the reason as well.

I wanted to go with a mild twin turbo set up but I lack knowledge, cash, and skills in that department.
Agh I see. I think it looks good too. If I am not mistaken they use a similar carb and computer set up on the YouTube show Engine Masters. Have you seen that before? Looks very slick
Old 07-25-2017, 12:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MN72Chevelle
Agh I see. I think it looks good too. If I am not mistaken they use a similar carb and computer set up on the YouTube show Engine Masters. Have you seen that before? Looks very
slick
No but I will try and find that. I am new to the FI stuff so Im trying to keep it simple.

I need to get a T56 and the Holley mounts for engine and trans so I can start mocking it up.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:00 PM
Teching In

No but I will try and find that. I am new to the FI stuff so Im trying to keep it simple.

I need to get a T56 and the Holley mounts for engine and trans so I can start mocking it up.
Awesome! Look forward to following your build. Looks like you are making progress.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:04 PM
Teching In

progress on paper. Had almost the entire metal structure replaces and got a so so job in return so its off to a good friend of mine this Friday to get all the body panels fitted right and then filler work done. I should get it back in high build primer with only block work to do!
The fitment headache will hopefully be GONE!

Once back its going on my rotisserie and the frame is getting coated and new suspension installed! Thats when I will say I have PROGRESS !!!!!

Im hoping when I get it back from my friend I get excited about the car again, I need it!
Old 07-25-2017, 02:31 PM
Teching In

progress on paper. Had almost the entire metal structure replaces and got a so so job in return so its off to a good friend of mine this Friday to get all the body panels fitted right and then filler work done. I should get it back in high build primer with only block work to do!
The fitment headache will hopefully be GONE!

Once back its going on my rotisserie and the frame is getting coated and new suspension installed! Thats when I will say I have PROGRESS !!!!!

Im hoping when I get it back from my friend I get excited about the car again, I need it!
I wish I had time, patience, and $$$ to do a rotisserie on the car. I am all about burning rubber, going fast, and smiling from ear to ear.

I don't want to lay paint down until it is all done. My luck I would smack a body panel trying to install something. Paint and panel fitment are my last things.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:11 PM
Teching In

August Update!!!

We went to the track to get a base line in before the twin's go on. We were able to put down a time of 12.91 @ 108.93. Little slower than last years best witch was 12.814 but that was also on 4:11 gears and this year we on 3:73's.

We began tear down and finding out our issues.

**Driver side header hits steering shaft
-will need new shaft with U-Joints
**Passenger side header hits HVAC box
-will need to modify old box
-was planning on doing a replacement but due to how far back my engine is the new one does not fit
**New power steering line way to close to header
-possible switch to hydroboost
**Headers put turbos to close to radiator
-going to cut the ends and modify them to fit

So far that is what we know is wrong.... there will be more

I did get the new 80 lbs injectors installed! 1 thing off the list

Now for some photos
Attached Thumbnails Another Twin Turbo Chevelle-img_4481.jpg   Another Twin Turbo Chevelle-img_4487.jpg   Another Twin Turbo Chevelle-img_4512.jpg   Another Twin Turbo Chevelle-img_4518.jpg   Another Twin Turbo Chevelle-img_4519.jpg  

Another Twin Turbo Chevelle-img_4520.jpg   Another Twin Turbo Chevelle-img_4526.jpg   Another Twin Turbo Chevelle-img_4527.jpg  
Old 08-16-2017, 03:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Did you run that thing with reverse open headers?
Old 08-16-2017, 04:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
Did you run that thing with reverse open headers?
HAHA No... we just take the exhaust pipes off and leave on the long tube headers. I really like the sounds of open headers!!

Mike
Old 08-17-2017, 01:19 PM
Teching In

More progress last night. Got the fuel tank down and the old pump out. Today we are swapping wiring harnesses since the 250 is different than the 450 and then we will be putting the tank back up.

As always the best part! Pics.
Attached Thumbnails Another Twin Turbo Chevelle-c1.jpg   Another Twin Turbo Chevelle-c2.jpg   Another Twin Turbo Chevelle-c3.jpg  
Old 08-18-2017, 07:13 AM
Teching In

Update - Fuel Pump in and HVAC box modified

Thanks to the Old Man at the Speed Shop the HVAC box clears the headers with plenty of room to spare. This car was factory A/C and since I don't plan on using it anymore until I do an aftermarket kit I just had the box cut up. Since we know it fits we are going to use a couple of fiberglass kits to seal it up and shoot it with some spray paint.

I had my buddy remove the 250 pump and install the 450 pump. Well we ran into some issues because the depth of the Tanks Inc tanks is under 5.75 inches. We assembled it with a little play so the pump was not directly touching the mounting plate. Well that did not work. So I cut out the play and it still did not work. Then I chopped off the top barb of the fuel pump and made the thing work.

The other fun part is getting a 450 pump through the tiny hole in the tank with the return line and the electrical connector. It does not help that I kept forgetting little things like gaskets and the pre-filter on the pump.

Pump probably went in and out no less than 10 times!!!

But progress is being made.

Since the radiator is out I though it would be cool to see what it would look like if I did not cut and modify the headers. Wish it would just work like that!!
Attached Thumbnails Another Twin Turbo Chevelle-img_4533.jpg   Another Twin Turbo Chevelle-img_4534.jpg   Another Twin Turbo Chevelle-img_4535.jpg   Another Twin Turbo Chevelle-img_4536.jpg   Another Twin Turbo Chevelle-img_4537.jpg  

Old 08-21-2017, 04:49 PM
Launching!

I am eager to see how your build goes.

I'm undertaking a LY6 into a 1970 Olds 442 at the moment, and have aspirations of going with a twin turbo setup. Mind if I ask you a few questions??

What accessory drive are you going to be using ?? the truck or Vette, or ??

Was your LQ4 VVT ??? I'm assuming you ditched it if it was......
I'm not sure how to bypass the VVT and if any OTHER accessory drives will work , hence my questions.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

LQ4 weren't ever equipted w/VVT.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,349 Posts

Nothing before 2006 was VVT.... VVT came on when Gen IV was introduced.

Quick Reply: Another Twin Turbo Chevelle