Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie questions for a 5.3 Datsun

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 09:17 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie questions for a 5.3 Datsun

Hello, I recently picked up a 5.3 Datsun 280z project, and I've been reading for awhile now and I think i may have a plan figured out but could use some advice.

It currently has a Holley carb and edelbrock intake and I'm not a fan for a couple of reasons. It's not tuned very well yet (was basically just slapped on) and a hole was cut in the hood for clearance issues. It also has a TH350 bolted up to the back that runs out of gear quickly due to no OD and tall gears in the diff.

So, my plans were to convert back to FI and get a trans with an overdrive in the back. I was planning for a 4L80E which I think I can get in the trans tunnel with minor modification.
For intake I was planning LS1 or LS6 due to truck clearance issues with the hood. I'd like to get a new hood and not have a scoop cut into it.

Okay, so my questions;

1. Should I buy a 4L80E reman'd right away? Or perhaps just get a used one out of a junkyard? I think I'll be staying away from the 4L60E since if I have to get specific wiring for a trans I should just do the big one and be done.
  2. I know LS1 and LS6 don't bolt up super well to truck motors, but I think i can get all that figured out with modifications. Is finding intake parts in junkyards the way to go for this part? There is no leftover EFI parts on this car.
  3. I think I will get a custom harness from Chevy Thunder for my datsun, as opposed to getting a used one and re-wiring it myself. Can anyone weigh in on this? Is it easier than I think to re-work a wiring harness? Would I have to find one that had a 4L80E?
  4. The motor is a 2004, would i need a year-specific PCM for that or can I use one from '97-03? I'll be sending it to re-flash.
  5. I'll be using an in-line fuel pump, do I have to drill my tank for a return line or is it possible to use a non-return setup. I haven't done as much reading on this aspect for now.

Thanks!
Old 07-26-2017, 09:19 AM
Teching In

Oh, and a pic of my 280z.

Name:  rbkRkVu.jpg
Views: 663
Size:  103.5 KB
Old 07-27-2017, 10:13 AM
Teching In

Also if anyone could give me a ballpark figure I should be keeping in mind for pricing things out;

LS1 complete intake
LS6 complete intake
4l80e used
wiring harness

Thanks, I'm trying to get time to go to the local junkyard and see if I can find anything this week. Thanks! Oh, and if i go, can I take a fuel pump from one of these cars or am I better off getting a new aftermarket one.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:33 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

1. 80e is definitely way better than a 60e. Less prone to issues, and stronger.

2. Car intakes bolt up fine to the truck motors. You'll need an idler relocation bracket to move the idler pulley next to the alternator out of the way of the throttle body. They're usually $20-25 for the bracket.

3. Doing a harness yourself isn't really hard. Time consuming maybe. The hardest part is making it look like a professional job.

4. You can use any 97-04, but I would suggest a 99-03 DBC PCM unless you're looking to switch to DBW.

5. Yes, you have to run a return. All setups run a return, technically, even returnless ones. You can drill a hole, or run it into the filler neck, gas cap, or even the evap/vent.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:41 AM
Teching In

Okay, thanks for the idea about the filler neck/evap/gas cap since I don't like the idea of drilling a hole in a gas tank with fumes and I don't wanna drop the tank cuz lazy and it's already an in-line tank setup.

so the '99-'03 will work on a '04 engine, but can't use drive by wire which I don't want anyway. Sounds perfect.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:02 AM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Other than the 4L80E,a stock harness to rework and a pcm,you won't find much of what you need at the junkyard.Check the classifieds here for a used intake,rail and injectors.Also consider a 2010+ Camaro water pump,the outlet is a bit easier to work around for the upper hose.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:15 AM
Teching In

What's a good price for a complete LS1 or LS6? There's a guy in the classifieds here selling a complete cable TB LS6 intake for $400
Old 07-27-2017, 11:36 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

$400 is roughly the going rate on an LS6 intake. LS1 intake is roughly half that.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:19 AM
Teching In

Alright, snagged an LS6 intake this weekend, now just need to source a 4l80e and get wiring going on. I'm on the fence about buying a pre-done one or buying one locally for $50. I have to buy EV1 injector connections though, so I'd already be looking at about $100 before I do any work, may just get the complete one...

Quick Reply: Newbie questions for a 5.3 Datsun