Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls swap 944/240sx/3rd gen firebird

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post ls swap 944/240sx/3rd gen firebird

hello, I'm a 17yo kid who's kind of addicted to cars. I'm starting this thread to ask about converting a 944 that already has a small block to a basically stock 4.8. I couldn't find much on it but I'm new to the forum so... anyway, I've worked on cars since I was a baby, and I love fixing, driving and modifying them. My first car is a 1992 Celica gt field find that I got running and driving after a 5+ year stint of rotting away. I never really wanted the car, it kind of found me(the guy gave it to me for free), so shortly after I paint it, I plan to sell it for something better. I'm still open to cars but I'm kind of stuck on either a 944, a 240sx, or a firebird. i stumbled across a 944 running(barely) project near me with a small block from a 74 c10 for something like 2500 dollars. it needs the interior finished, brakes finished, and some fuel delivery work(factory fuel pump probably needs replacing). This seems like a steal, as the 944 is a very capable chassis, and a Chevy motor makes good power, but the swap looks kind of out dated, and its carbureted. for a car to more or less daily in high school, carb'd mpg is garbage, and reliability is so-so. Since it already has a v8 in it, an ls swap seems easier and cheaper than starting with a 4cyl. I was looking into it and a few companies sell a sbc to ls adapter plate mount. I don't know much on this and couldn't find much either but would that work for a 944 instead of a 5k+ swap kit? I know I would still need an ls1 oil pan and stuff too but the junkyards near me are abundant with em. I want to go with a 4.8 right now because a de-stroked 8k rpm itb ls swapped 944 screamer is my dream track car, and on a high school budget, buying and building two motors is neither cost effective nor time effective. for a high school car, a 4.8 makes good power, especially with a 944's weight, and are dead reliable and get good mpg for a v8. so if I go with the 4.8 now, later in life(college i plan on taking mechanical and automotive engineering) i can finish my dream build with an all aluminum ls2 block, the 4.8 crank, billet crank and rod caps, forged internals, good heads and cam, and the cherry on top, individual throttle bodies for optimized throttle input and it would give it a bit of an exotic flair, especially for a Porsche. Any help on swapping the small block for an ls motor would be great thanks!
Old 08-08-2017, 11:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,393 Likes on 879 Posts

Welcome to the circus kid...first, do a search...there have been plenty of swapped 944/968s. My buddy Tom actually developed the first kits for Renegade, but I know zero about those cars...no doubt someone will chime in...

I can tell you this...any import...any car with IRS...will have durability issues with stockish driveline parts...This I know first hand from playing with LS swapped FC RX7s...

You also mentioned Firebirds...Presumably you mean third gens...For a first car, I would lean in this direction. They can be found cheap and there is huge aftermarket support for not only swap parts, but all sorts of other chassis and suspension related parts.

Those are just some thoughts from reading your post.

Andrew
Old 08-08-2017, 01:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3rd gen is easiest, 240SX is the best, the 944 is... 'special.'
Old 08-11-2017, 07:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 463 Likes on 349 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-turbo-ls.html

Quick Reply: ls swap 944/240sx/3rd gen firebird