Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ9 W/ 3 Speed Manual Column Shift

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 04:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LQ9 W/ 3 Speed Manual Column Shift

I have a 73 stepside C10 that has a factory manual 3 speed on the column. I have the 756 5 ear truck Bell Housing and 5 ear 3 speed transmission for the truck. I planned on using the Sach 1050 and a 10 spline 12" clutch if possible. I also want to keep the manual clutch pedal. This will all be behind an LQ9 out of an 05 Denali.

Has anyone else done this or something similar? Will this even work?

I wasn't sure if I would run into issues by keeping the linkages for column shift. I also didn't know if keeping the manual clutch pedal would cause any issues. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pic of the boy with our project!
Attached Thumbnails LQ9 W/ 3 Speed Manual Column Shift-img_20170809_190114.jpg  
Old 08-15-2017, 04:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

If that 3 speed is the standard gm input shaft, it should be the same as a 10 spline Muncie or T10.
Is that a Saginaw trans? If so, they're pretty weak, especially behind a 6.0 LQ9.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-ls-motor.html
Old 08-15-2017, 05:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by garys 68
If that 3 speed is the standard gm input shaft, it should be the same as a 10 spline Muncie or T10.
Is that a Saginaw trans? If so, they're pretty weak, especially behind a 6.0 LQ9.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-ls-motor.html
I was hoping you would reply! I did read through that thread. Thank you for putting that together. It has helped a ton! From what I got in that thread, I can definitely use a 12". The bell housing is the large truck version. It is also 10 spline.

I got the transmission from a dirt racer, he was getting out of racing and this was one he had just gone through and built. It matches with the housing perfect. We'll see if it holds I guess. lol. I just want to putt around with my son for the most part anyway.

Do you think the column linkages will get in the way? I haven't picked headers yet just in case. How will the manual pedal hold up for this do you think?
Old 08-15-2017, 09:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,393 Likes on 879 Posts

I think you need to examine exactly how the existing clutch release and the shifter mechanism is attached to the engine. The LS will no doubt be lacking those attaching points.

Andrew
Old 08-16-2017, 02:19 AM
TECH Junkie

On the linkage, I'm with Andrew. I've never worked on a manual column shift.
But note, the truck bellhousing has a larger cutout for the bearing retainer than the car trans. If you bolt up a Muncie/t10 car trans it wont be centered by the bearing retainer and you'll have a whine and premature failure. There are spacers available for that though.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:25 AM
Teching In

THanks for the help guys!

It is for sure the same size on the retainer, it fits on there nice and snug. The drive train was already gone when I got the pickup. The linkage is all hanging in there and the manual clutch assembly is also there. It does not appear that either use the engine itself as a base as far as I can tell. So I suppose I will just get the 12" clutch and set it all in there. We'll see if I can make it work.
Old 08-16-2017, 12:38 PM
On The Tree

I know with the older GM manual transmissions, there is a ball stud that is on the engine block itself as part of the mounting/pivot point of the Z bar, which is the pivot rod for the clutch assembly. That is what Andrew was mentioning. It appears you can get a bellhousing with the ball, this thread has good info: https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-ls-motor.html
As for the shifter linkage, I have been thinking about this too on my Chevelle which is/was a 3 spd column shift. I would think the linkage should clear just fine, but the header location could change things, not sure on that (My chevelle is still an SBC for now).
Old 08-16-2017, 01:19 PM
Teching In

hmmm, okay. I apologize for my ignorance, but I have never dealt with a manual set up. I may just have to go to junkyard to see if I can get a better picture of what you guys mean.

This is a pic of the bell housing. Is this the pivot point you guys are talking about? (I know the pic says z-bar, I just want to verify.)Will it work?

Last edited by Booster01; 08-16-2017 at 01:24 PM.
Old 08-17-2017, 04:54 AM
TECH Junkie

That's the clutch z bar ball stud. That one is mounted on the bellhousing. Early BBC/SBC motors also have a mount on the block. LS motors don't.
You can see pics in my earlier thread.
Google an image of your trucks z bar linkage, I'm sure there's one online. The z bar ball stud on the block/bellhousing has to line up with the frame mounted ball stud. You can do that by motor adapter plate location, engine ball stud location, or moving the ball stud mount on the frame.

Last edited by garys 68; 08-17-2017 at 05:28 AM.
Old 08-17-2017, 05:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,393 Likes on 879 Posts

Originally Posted by garys 68
...If you bolt up a Muncie/t10 car trans it wont be centered by the bearing retainer and you'll have a whine and premature failure. There are spacers available for that though.
This is very important!

Andrew

Quick Reply: LQ9 W/ 3 Speed Manual Column Shift