Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inline Fuel pump used in tank?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 09:41 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inline Fuel pump used in tank?

I am starting the fuel system upgrade in my swap. The car is a 1972 Olds Vista Cruiser with the fuel tank in the right rear wheel well. I have the tank out to remove the gravel so thoughtfully placed in there by my two little ones.

About two years ago I purchased a inline pump and corvette filter/regulator from Speedway Motors with the intention of mounting them at the rear frame under the tank. The genius thought occurred to me to mount the inline pump in the tank, I cut the pickup tube, have the spacing just right, everything ready to go back together when I realized that the pump might not be suitable for in tank use.

The pump is a MSD p/n 2225.

I still have the original in tank pump from the donor truck that I pressure tested before pulling the engine/trans. Does not look like as easy of an install but I do like OEM parts over aftermarket.

I would appreciate any feedback about using the MSD pump intended for out of tank use. Or hints on adapting the OEM unit.
Attached Thumbnails Inline Fuel pump used in tank?-fuel-pump-install.jpg  
Old 09-12-2017, 11:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 463 Likes on 349 Posts

Use OEM - inline doesn't have the electrics engineered for submersion. Or buy Deatschwerks DW200 or DW300.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:00 AM
Teching In

So, I have decided to go with the OEM pump for a intank install. I will begin at the beginning and get you to where I left off tonight waiting for parts on order.

This is the fuel pickup as it came out of the original tank. This tank stands vertical in the drivers rear fender. I thought about putting a Mustang tank in the storage under the floor of the stationwagon, behind the 3rd seat but like the idea of retaining the original tank. It looks to be in good shape and I can always do the Mustang tank at a later date if needed.
Attached Thumbnails Inline Fuel pump used in tank?-original-fuel-pickup-1.jpg  
Old 09-13-2017, 12:06 AM
Teching In

My original plan was to install the MSD pump in the tank for a cleaner install and because electric pumps tend to work better as pushers and not pulling the fuel out of the tank. Here is the first cut to the pickup tube for that pump. I made a template onto cardboard to keep track of the original shape and position.
Attached Thumbnails Inline Fuel pump used in tank?-first-cut-msd-pump-2.jpg  
Old 09-13-2017, 12:13 AM
Teching In

My original plan of putting the MSD into the pickup tube. I would make the connections with hose and clamps, use the original sock filter, run the high pressure line out to the Corvette filter/regulator on the frame under the tank. Then the thought occurred to me that the pump was meant for an external mount and maybe it would not work being submerged. My first post was answered confirming this as well as my additional research.
Attached Thumbnails Inline Fuel pump used in tank?-msd-inline-pump-install-3.jpg  
Old 09-13-2017, 12:17 AM
Teching In

I disassembled the original fuel pump bucket from the donor truck and extracted the fuel pump. The engine ran great and had 60psi before I removed the engine and trans, plus every conceivable part before the shredder got it.
Attached Thumbnails Inline Fuel pump used in tank?-extracting-oem-fuel-pump-4.jpg  
Old 09-13-2017, 12:20 AM
Teching In

Here is what was left for me to use. I may replace the original sock because it could interfere with the movement of the fuel float. Still going to use the Corvette filter/regulator along the frame (at least so far, that could also change).
Attached Thumbnails Inline Fuel pump used in tank?-oem-fuel-pump-used-5.jpg  
Old 09-13-2017, 12:26 AM
Teching In

This requred a adjustment to the lenght of the removed pickup tube. I would need to reuse some of the removed tube. I adjusted the lenght, made a new cut with my brake tube cutter and put a small flare in the ends so the fuel line and clamps would have a better grip when installed.
Attached Thumbnails Inline Fuel pump used in tank?-adjusting-tube-lenght-6.jpg   Inline Fuel pump used in tank?-using-flare-tool-flange-ends-8.jpg   Inline Fuel pump used in tank?-close-up-flanged-tubes-9.jpg  
Old 09-13-2017, 12:31 AM
Teching In

Here is the OEM pump at the final length. The picture looks like it is positioned too deep, but that is the camera angle. The sock should be just above the tank bottom. I have everything flared and clocked and looking correct.
Attached Thumbnails Inline Fuel pump used in tank?-final-tube-cut-7.jpg  
Old 09-13-2017, 12:44 AM
Teching In

Here is the finished assembly. I ran hose over the entire tube length instead of two shorter pieces. Should help it retain the proper length. I extended the ground wire to the base of the flange and grounded it there instead of trying to pass it through, the flange has a ground wire already attached and going to the body for a clean ground. I am awaiting a wire "bulkhead" fitting to pass the power wire through the flange. Also awaiting delivery of four 360 degree hose clamps to tighten the hose to the pickup tube and pump. Will get high pressure fittings and nylon hose to run to the filter/regulator then to the fuel rail. Will use 5/16" fuel hose for the return line from filter/regulator to the tank. I will post pictures when the tank is ready to go back in.
Attached Thumbnails Inline Fuel pump used in tank?-closeup-finished-10.jpg   Inline Fuel pump used in tank?-finished-11.jpg  
Old 09-15-2017, 10:03 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

After attaching your images, preview the post. In the preview, right click each image and select "Open image in a new tab."

Copy the URL of each image that's open in a new tab and paste them into your post between image tags (eg. [img]URL[/img]).

Old 09-15-2017, 02:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the same issue dealing with my '70 Chevelle wagon. Here is where it stands now: Fuel Delivery:
AC Delco EP 381electric fuel pump
AC Delco FP51 electric fuel pump harness
AC Delco TS7 strainer
Push Through Fuel Cap - Tanks Inc: p/n PTCK
6 Hole Bolt-in Pickup Kit - Tanks Inc: p/n 3tr, 3g-n, nbo, 6HPT
PA Series Pump Weld In Recess - Tanks Inc.: p/n PA-REC; If my tank guy can put this in and make it feasible to use, then I will likely go this route. You can extend the PA Series Pump assembly to the needed height, which in this case, I'm going to need about 22" of depth. If it's too cost prohibitive or cannot otherwise be done, I'll do with the aforementioned 6 hole bolt-in pickup.

I had a baffle welded in mid-tank, just behind were the pump sits in an effort to reduce slosh and hopefully keep the pump under fuel.

I had seriously considered using the stock setup with a frame mounted low-pressure pump that would pump to a scavenger tank with a high pressure pump setup in it. For now, this is my option and I hope that they will eventually re-pop the saddle mounted tank in the nearer future.

Right now the best off the shelf option is to mount the tank between the frame rails and either put a Chevelle or El Camino tank in (different spout location). The downside is having to cut out the tool/footwell and repair the floor.

Best of luck on the build.
Old 09-15-2017, 02:07 PM
TECH Regular

Something else to consider is the use of teflon or otherwise approved submersible wire. I had a heck of a time finding any, and that I did find was not cheap. Not sure how big of a deal it is, but, like I said, it's something to consider.
Old 09-15-2017, 04:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by TipsyMcStagger
After attaching your images, preview the post. In the preview, right click each image and select "Open image in a new tab."

Copy the URL of each image that's open in a new tab and paste them into your post between image tags (eg. [img]URL[/img]).
Thank you for that info! Its good not to have to use PB anymore!

Originally Posted by sprech
Something else to consider is the use of teflon or otherwise approved submersible wire. I had a heck of a time finding any, and that I did find was not cheap. Not sure how big of a deal it is, but, like I said, it's something to consider.
Another thing you should use is submersible fuel hose. I have had them blow apart and when it happens you slow waaaaay down! Mine was only about 2 inches long too, so with one that long I would think it would be more susceptible to coming apart after a while.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 306 Likes on 206 Posts

I've done this successfully in my 72 Chevelle wagon...

It works well...I used a factory AC Delco EP-381 pump.
Old 09-16-2017, 04:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 463 Likes on 349 Posts

SAE30R10 rating for the submersible hose....NAPA generally sells in 1' and 2' lengths...pricey bugger.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:16 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
Thank you for that info! Its good not to have to use PB anymore!

Another thing you should use is submersible fuel hose. I have had them blow apart and when it happens you slow waaaaay down! Mine was only about 2 inches long too, so with one that long I would think it would be more susceptible to coming apart after a while.
I totally forgot to mention that as well, but very true.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sprech

Sprech is right...it's called PTFE (Teflon) coated wire. (this stuff is what the O.E.'s use) It's not real easy to find, but it's out there. I gave about 3 bucks a foot.
Old 09-16-2017, 12:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CattleAc
It's not real easy to find, but it's out there. I gave about 3 bucks a foot.
Unless there's something more to it than "PTFE," it looks like it's easily sourced on eBay.

Tipsy
Old 09-16-2017, 01:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TipsyMcStagger
Unless there's something more to it than "PTFE," it looks like it's easily sourced on eBay.

Tipsy

I can't remember where I got my wire...but in my research, it seems that the wire you referenced wasn't rated for continuous use in gasoline...I could be mistaken though...

It was a few years ago when I did the in tank pump mod on my wagon, and I can't find the exact reference material I used when i sourced mine.

(I think I bought bulk wire from Racetronics in the end though)

EDIT: I probably shouldn't have just thrown "PTFE" out there...I'll try and find my info source and post it later. My bad.

Quick Reply: Inline Fuel pump used in tank?