Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

L92 and 4L60e = VVT vill not work??

Old 09-18-2017, 02:09 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default L92 and 4L60e = VVT vill not work??

Hello, i am in need of skilled advice.

I am about to put a -08 L92 mated with a 4L60e ( reinforced..) in a older car.

I have got the harness proffessionally reworked , the ecu (E38) reprogrammed with a TCM T42 module to control trans.

Engine has VVT but not DOD, and i want to keep VVT, but i have got the information that it just do not work? It was something with a VSS sensor that is missing in the 4L60E.

I have searched info but end up getting both yes and no go for the combo..

I need your experience ( no guessing please )

Thanks / Mats Sweden
Old 09-18-2017, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry I can't help you, but wanted to say I appreciate how much effort it must take to rebuild a 60 Parkwood in Sweden. I've been looking for a decent tailgate for a 61 for nearly 2 decades here in the US so I can only imagine the trouble you're having.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:23 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Why 4l60? Not the best trans out there. 4L80 makes sense. 6L is best due to TCM compatibility. Anyways to turn the VVT E38 controlled engines into stand alones is not easy. Your going to need solid tuning support ( HP is my vote ) they solved mine in the end. Getting around the TOS go/nogo signals for the ECM to get out of safety mode was the most difficult aspect. I still suffer with some compromises but it works in front of t56 absent of VSS feed.

Hope this is of some help
Old 09-19-2017, 08:44 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Parkwood1960
Hello, i am in need of skilled advice.

I am about to put a -08 L92 mated with a 4L60e ( reinforced..) in a older car.

I have got the harness proffessionally reworked , the ecu (E38) reprogrammed with a TCM T42 module to control trans.

Engine has VVT but not DOD, and i want to keep VVT, but i have got the information that it just do not work? It was something with a VSS sensor that is missing in the 4L60E.

I have searched info but end up getting both yes and no go for the combo..

I need your experience ( no guessing please )

Thanks / Mats Sweden
VVT will work with an L92 and 4L60E. Typically you just can't run VVT with a manual or non-electric trans - since they never offered VVT with a manual trans from the factory (so there is no base tune to start with).

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'
Old 09-19-2017, 11:15 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Fair enough, the early GMT900 4.8L have VVT and run 4L60

easy base tune to start with.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by cam
...Anyways to turn the VVT E38 controlled engines into stand alones is not easy. Your going to need solid tuning support ( HP is my vote ) they solved mine in the end. Getting around the TOS go/nogo signals for the ECM to get out of safety mode was the most difficult aspect. I still suffer with some compromises but it works in front of t56 absent of VSS feed.

Hope this is of some help
Cam, can you elaborate on this? Both on what compromises and what was needed to get it to work. I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I'm having a similar issue with my swap (L92 swap w/VVT on a manual trans) and detailed info/experiences seems to be very hard to come by.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:42 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Absent of the TCM and BCM the TOS communications are incomplete so you have to work around them. VSS feed for instance pegs at 158 iirc yet the ECM still thinks its in park. There were a lot of hands in my tune, I only took it part way and Chris at HP sorted out the bugs and Arun dialed it in. I still have no rev limiter and I was pulling strange codes for well over a year. I managed to work through the codes and get it running well but the tune is very sensitive to change. For a while even after the dial in it would randomly die going down the road so I had to pull over, disconnect bat, sit for five mins, hook back and and that sorted it out. I also had a MAF issue for a while and the solve was larger gauge wire than stock, unsure why that was an issue but that sidelined me for a week or so. I was working this year on getting the rev limiter back in operation and somehow this was creating KR way down 3500 RPMish range and messed with the idle smoothness every time I tried to get it working. Why? No clue I could probably set up pid logs until Im blue in the face chasing it so I loaded the last good working file back in and there it sits. Compared to the 24x builds ive worked on the 58x is exponentially more complex, plus there are some absurd hard coded aspects such as fan control temps cannot be changed and so on.

If I was starting again id take a good hard look at the Holley system, its probably money in the bank for anyone going to this level.

The one thing about this engine I do really enjoy is its range. It winds up high and doesnt complain. Ive taken it over 8 many times and over 9 a few. Its not enough valve spring for 8, but 7400 or so it doesnt seem to mind at all. So theres good too, i have really enjoyed it and it doesnt really lose any passing attempts Drives like any other LS, smooth, reliable, fuel efficient especially on the hwy its excellent.

Of course you could always ditch the VVT and go static grind and run the LS3 base tune. Much easier.. Hope this is of some help
Old 09-21-2017, 12:16 AM
Teching In

Cam,

Thanks a ton for your reply. The Holley system looks really interesting though, especially for a swap project that doesn't have anything but an engine. Although, after weighing my options, I think I'm going to move to a VVT-delete and add a static LS3 cam. I really wanted to rock the VVT, since its uncommon to hear of and in theory "the best of both worlds", but my patience with the project is just about up and I'm not ready to jump into a bunch of tuning headaches...

Anyways, thanks a ton for your quick reply!
Old 09-21-2017, 08:28 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Keep in mind I put this together a long time ago and tuning VVT itself was actually easy. It was getting the GENIV ECM to work as a stand alone that was a chore. There are probably many new tuning powers available and perhaps a tech2 GM tuner would make this all easy. If I had access to one of those from the beginning I doubt I would have had near the same issues.

There are also some fitment issues to consider by retaining VVT if running car accessories you have to space them all out a couple inches. Theres threads on here regarding this and what you need to do so.

Have fun with your build
Old 09-24-2017, 06:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I kept the VVT with my L96/T56 swap; upgraded to a Mast VVT HO cam and kept the E38. I couldn't solve the 158 MPH issue, but my tuner got it pretty good--although I still have some jerking in parking lots in 1st gear that I have to manage with the clutch. Otherwise I don't notice any issues. Have 6500 miles on it since the swap. One of my big issues was getting a tach signal to work with my speedhut gauges. Ultimately had to splice of one of the injector wires.
Old 09-24-2017, 06:41 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

The jerking isnt VVT related, thats life with a cam swap. My L92 isnt bad at all at bucking, but some of the other builds we have done absent of VVT bucked like mules at low speeds. Very annoying but totally normal unless you run a small cam you can expect it.
Old 09-24-2017, 04:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Goldhawg
I kept the VVT with my L96/T56 swap; upgraded to a Mast VVT HO cam and kept the E38. I couldn't solve the 158 MPH issue, but my tuner got it pretty good--although I still have some jerking in parking lots in 1st gear that I have to manage with the clutch. Otherwise I don't notice any issues. Have 6500 miles on it since the swap. One of my big issues was getting a tach signal to work with my speedhut gauges. Ultimately had to splice of one of the injector wires.
When I was trying to troubleshoot mine, I had issues with it not wanting to start. Specifically, that the fuel injectors were not firing at all, which was verified with noid light while cranking. Did you or your tuner ever experience that with yours?

For some context, I am using HPTuners and thinking it was a VATS issue, I made sure all VATS options were disabled and reflashed, but it still wouldn't start and still no injector activity with noid light.

I shipped it off to Speartech, and they reflashed the PCM as a Corvette OS, but couldn't guarantee VVT would be functional. We plugged the E38 back in and gave it ago and it will now start and run as long as ~20% throttle is held, but doesn't sound like it should. It runs like the timing is way retarded. Similar to how an older engine would run if the distributor was 180 degrees out. No codes.

Combo was: L92, E38 ECM, TSP Stage 2-VVT cam, LS3 intake, LS3 injectors, LS3 MAP sensor, L92 MAF, Longtube headers, manual trans. Stock L92 wiring harness pared down for standalone

Again, I don't mean to thread jack, but I think any kind of VVT information to be documented somewhere is a good thing. Finding specifics regarding VVT and the tuning of it is tough.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:43 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LS92
When I was trying to troubleshoot mine, I had issues with it not wanting to start. Specifically, that the fuel injectors were not firing at all, which was verified with noid light while cranking. Did you or your tuner ever experience that with yours?

For some context, I am using HPTuners and thinking it was a VATS issue, I made sure all VATS options were disabled and reflashed, but it still wouldn't start and still no injector activity with noid light.

I shipped it off to Speartech, and they reflashed the PCM as a Corvette OS, but couldn't guarantee VVT would be functional. We plugged the E38 back in and gave it ago and it will now start and run as long as ~20% throttle is held, but doesn't sound like it should. It runs like the timing is way retarded. Similar to how an older engine would run if the distributor was 180 degrees out. No codes.

Combo was: L92, E38 ECM, TSP Stage 2-VVT cam, LS3 intake, LS3 injectors, LS3 MAP sensor, L92 MAF, Longtube headers, manual trans. Stock L92 wiring harness pared down for standalone

Again, I don't mean to thread jack, but I think any kind of VVT information to be documented somewhere is a good thing. Finding specifics regarding VVT and the tuning of it is tough.
Did you disable the interlocks as well? I had a bit of difficulty getting my VATS completely patched on my L92. There is a bit more than simply turning VATS off with these. I dont know why you would flash a static cam tune in an engine with a variable cam, I cant see that working very well. PTV clearances are tight on these engines as it is and now you have a variable cam floating without control?

Yikes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: L92 and 4L60e = VVT vill not work??