Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The LS Powered Chevy Vega WITH RX7 Suspension: with pics and Video Update weekly

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 02:44 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default The LS Powered Chevy Vega WITH RX7 Suspension: with pics and Video Update weekly

I have this project posted on another forum BUT since photobucket decided to make the switch the photos are now useless. I really wanted to keep the update on this so I decided that a new one would be better since it will have working pics.

Since this is now for sure an LS swap I figured LS1tech is the best place to make this.

GOAL:
1. I’m aiming for weekly update BUT this could mean small tiny things I do to the car or BIG updates. Just depends on time and money available. Just want to make sure I’m making constant progress instead of being shoved to the side(like it did for the past 6 months+)
2. Video update. Pictures are great but since this is a learning experience I also want to document how my thought process is and how I go about it. Plus I’m hoping to get some constructive feedback and learn how I can improve or maybe get suggestion on better methods.
So Expect a pic and youtube video when I do an Update.

Feedback are always appreciated.

The 1971 Chevy Vega
With FD rx7 full suspension and rotary engine swap.

Background: Loooong story SHORT
I picked up this car on August of 2016 as a fully drivable car (well sort of, the seals are toast and overheat on stop and go traffic) Because it needed an Engine rebuild I was able to pick it up for a fairly cheap price.

Fast forward to when it came to rebuild:
As I started to tear into the car to refresh and clean up, I started to find a lot of work that was really poor quality. (I’m no professional but some of the stuff could have been easily fixed with a little bit of effort. Just made me question the whole build al together) It is most definitely my fault for not being as thorough during my initial inspection but I really liked the car so a lot went over my head during my inspection lol.
Still pretty good purchase considering that I made majority of it back when I sold off the engine/trans/standalone. (So in the end it was like buying a Vega shell with rx7 suspension.)

See pics below.
Attached Thumbnails The LS Powered Chevy Vega WITH RX7 Suspension: with pics and Video Update weekly-img_0249.jpg   The LS Powered Chevy Vega WITH RX7 Suspension: with pics and Video Update weekly-img_0258.jpg   The LS Powered Chevy Vega WITH RX7 Suspension: with pics and Video Update weekly-img_0285.jpg   The LS Powered Chevy Vega WITH RX7 Suspension: with pics and Video Update weekly-img_0252.jpg   The LS Powered Chevy Vega WITH RX7 Suspension: with pics and Video Update weekly-img_0286.jpg  

Old 09-19-2017, 03:08 AM
Launching!

Here are a few things that I found.

Part 2 coming later on since I cant seem to download photos from Photobucket. I will Have to search through my drive...
Attached Thumbnails The LS Powered Chevy Vega WITH RX7 Suspension: with pics and Video Update weekly-img_0296.jpg   The LS Powered Chevy Vega WITH RX7 Suspension: with pics and Video Update weekly-img_0283.jpg   The LS Powered Chevy Vega WITH RX7 Suspension: with pics and Video Update weekly-img_0298.jpg   The LS Powered Chevy Vega WITH RX7 Suspension: with pics and Video Update weekly-img_0300.jpg   The LS Powered Chevy Vega WITH RX7 Suspension: with pics and Video Update weekly-img_0301.jpg  

The LS Powered Chevy Vega WITH RX7 Suspension: with pics and Video Update weekly-img_0302.jpg   The LS Powered Chevy Vega WITH RX7 Suspension: with pics and Video Update weekly-img_0303.jpg   The LS Powered Chevy Vega WITH RX7 Suspension: with pics and Video Update weekly-img_0306.jpg   The LS Powered Chevy Vega WITH RX7 Suspension: with pics and Video Update weekly-img_0307.jpg   The LS Powered Chevy Vega WITH RX7 Suspension: with pics and Video Update weekly-img_0308.jpg  

The LS Powered Chevy Vega WITH RX7 Suspension: with pics and Video Update weekly-img_0315.jpg   The LS Powered Chevy Vega WITH RX7 Suspension: with pics and Video Update weekly-img_0344.jpg   The LS Powered Chevy Vega WITH RX7 Suspension: with pics and Video Update weekly-img_0345.jpg   The LS Powered Chevy Vega WITH RX7 Suspension: with pics and Video Update weekly-img_0348.jpg   The LS Powered Chevy Vega WITH RX7 Suspension: with pics and Video Update weekly-img_0369.jpg  

The LS Powered Chevy Vega WITH RX7 Suspension: with pics and Video Update weekly-img_0370.jpg   The LS Powered Chevy Vega WITH RX7 Suspension: with pics and Video Update weekly-img_0374.jpg   The LS Powered Chevy Vega WITH RX7 Suspension: with pics and Video Update weekly-img_0375.jpg   The LS Powered Chevy Vega WITH RX7 Suspension: with pics and Video Update weekly-img_0385.jpg   The LS Powered Chevy Vega WITH RX7 Suspension: with pics and Video Update weekly-img_0389.jpg  

The LS Powered Chevy Vega WITH RX7 Suspension: with pics and Video Update weekly-img_0391.jpg   The LS Powered Chevy Vega WITH RX7 Suspension: with pics and Video Update weekly-img_1116.jpg   The LS Powered Chevy Vega WITH RX7 Suspension: with pics and Video Update weekly-img_1120.jpg   The LS Powered Chevy Vega WITH RX7 Suspension: with pics and Video Update weekly-img_1115.jpg   The LS Powered Chevy Vega WITH RX7 Suspension: with pics and Video Update weekly-img_1121.jpg  

Old 09-19-2017, 03:36 AM
Launching!

Week 1

VIDEO Update

Update: relocated the Steering Column to make room for the headers and to make sure I can build an engine mount around the steering Shaft.

Pics can be seen below
Attached Thumbnails The LS Powered Chevy Vega WITH RX7 Suspension: with pics and Video Update weekly-steering.jpg   The LS Powered Chevy Vega WITH RX7 Suspension: with pics and Video Update weekly-steering-column-2.jpg   The LS Powered Chevy Vega WITH RX7 Suspension: with pics and Video Update weekly-steering-column-3.jpg  
Old 10-08-2017, 01:40 AM
Launching!

Video Update :

Pic below
Attached Thumbnails The LS Powered Chevy Vega WITH RX7 Suspension: with pics and Video Update weekly-enginemount-part-1.jpg  
Old 10-24-2017, 01:17 AM
Launching!

Well things turned out great :th:
Everything fell in place. Really started to see some progress on my welding, Which is pretty good considering I only get to practice TIG when I work on this car

Video Update :

pics attached
Attached Thumbnails The LS Powered Chevy Vega WITH RX7 Suspension: with pics and Video Update weekly-ep-3.jpg  
Old 01-02-2018, 12:49 AM
Launching!

Looks like im missing my goal by a long shot. But better late than never.

Finally got around to building the transmission mount.
Hope to finish this mount soon and start the exhaust.

Video Update:
Old 01-02-2018, 07:29 AM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Cool project
Old 01-02-2018, 10:51 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for sharing your project.

Looked them over and brought back memories of just how cheaply the Vega was made in the first place.

What are the specifics on the LS engine you are installing?

Something I was a little hazy on when going over your posts is what do you expect to end up with.
Sleeper Vega?
Canyon Carver?
Pro Street?
With the RX7 rear suspension I cannot see it being a pro street Vega.
Not sure exactly what else Vega's were made into back when it was popular to drop Chevy V8 drivetrains into them other than 1/4 mile drag racers with lights.
A guy living a few blocks from me in the late 70's had an absolute monster Vega station wagon that he did the full roll cage and tub job on with huge Mickey Thompson's on the back. Dual quad small block with a high stall automatic. Something I always lusted after even if it was just a race car with tags.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Yeah, back (WAAAY back! lol) in the day, that cast iron small block made it run, but the REALLY suffered! Straight line performance was about it.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:42 AM
Launching!

The Engine is standard LQ4 to start, just to get everything going. An engine swap will happen once everything is finished.

Future plan does include a rear mount turbo with ford 8.8 swap that retains rx7 suspension.

My expectation is having a daily that I can take to the canyons at anytime.
I wanted something relatively fast.

Basically an all around car. Light, handles well, comfy getting stuck in traffic(ac/auto) and v8 torque.
best of all, pre 1975(its cali and this car does not require smog)

I know it exceed my expectation in the handling department. This thing felt like a go cart. It may look like an old american car but definitely handles like a sports car.

Originally Posted by B Gordon
Thanks for sharing your project.

Looked them over and brought back memories of just how cheaply the Vega was made in the first place.

What are the specifics on the LS engine you are installing?

Something I was a little hazy on when going over your posts is what do you expect to end up with.
Sleeper Vega?
Canyon Carver?
Pro Street?
With the RX7 rear suspension I cannot see it being a pro street Vega.
Not sure exactly what else Vega's were made into back when it was popular to drop Chevy V8 drivetrains into them other than 1/4 mile drag racers with lights.
A guy living a few blocks from me in the late 70's had an absolute monster Vega station wagon that he did the full roll cage and tub job on with huge Mickey Thompson's on the back. Dual quad small block with a high stall automatic. Something I always lusted after even if it was just a race car with tags.
Old 01-05-2018, 03:56 PM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Subscribed to your channel
Old 01-07-2018, 05:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BillyFargon
Subscribed to your channel
Thank You for the support.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Cool,just saw this one down the road from me,might have to take a look at it,have a 5.3 and 6.0 sitting here taking up space...

http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/vega_31146371
Old 08-19-2018, 01:24 PM
Launching!

TS GREAT TO BE BACK

Hi Guys. I apologize for the long delay, I had to take a few months break to make sure I graduate

Now that I'm back to only working I finally have some free time.
This update is all about making the exhaust. I decided to tackle the crossover from the driver side.

Video Update.

here's what it's all about.
Old 10-04-2018, 03:21 AM
Launching!

Slow and steady wins the race lol.
Exhaust crossover complete.

Video update:

Pics:

Quick Reply: The LS Powered Chevy Vega WITH RX7 Suspension: with pics and Video Update weekly