Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let's Talk Fuel Systems

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 02:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Let's Talk Fuel Systems

So I currently have a 10-gal fuel cell that is set up for an in-line fuel pump. I'm trying to determine a good route to go with the fuel system setup but to be honest, fuel systems are my crutch.

I'd prefer to go with a returnless system but I'm not even sure this is possible with an in-line system from what I have found. It is currently plumbed with a feed line only but had an in-line pump and filter.

My target power range is 500rwhp N/A LS3 on E-85 with future growth possible. I will be running a Dominator engine management system, DBC throttle body and stock fuel rails. Anyone want to help me figure out a system? Currently, the setup I planned was as follows for a return style system

Regulator: https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...s/parts/12-846

Fuel Pump: https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...s/parts/12-890

Pre-filter: https://www.holley.com/products/fuel.../parts/162-564

Post Filter: https://www.holley.com/products/fuel.../parts/162-554
Old 10-10-2017, 09:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Try Posting in this section and see if you get any bites. https://ls1tech.com/forums/fueling-injection-8/
Old 10-11-2017, 05:46 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

if you want a returnless system, then just build a returnless system. If you want a dead end system, just build a dead end. It isnt difficult either way.

There isnt really anything to figure out ? The pump/reg could be configured for either method.

Although that single pump will probably be at its limit...or already beyond it with E85 at that sort of power level.

The post filter needs to be of a design suitable for E85...ie not the cellulose/paper that Holley offer.

Aeromotive offer microglass units which would be more suitable in that style, or Fuelab.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:14 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doesn't a stock fuel rail dictate a returnless system?
Old 10-11-2017, 10:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

No. The fuel goes from the pump to the regulator, which has 3 fittings; inlet, outlet to rail, and return to tank.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:29 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by G Atsma
No. The fuel goes from the pump to the regulator, which has 3 fittings; inlet, outlet to rail, and return to tank.
I was thinking that is returnless as opposed to the regulator at the end of the fuel rail?
Old 10-11-2017, 10:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

That is still regarded as a return system since the regulator could theoretically be located anywhere along the fuel line, from near the tank to near the engine.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:47 AM
On The Tree

That is still regarded as a return system since the regulator could theoretically be located anywhere along the fuel line, from near the tank to near the engine.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:38 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Senna
Doesn't a stock fuel rail dictate a returnless system?

As G says...not really.

Fuel may not flow through the rails and out the other side, but if the FPR is local to the rails with a supply and return to/from the tank/pump...then it has a return.

Or you could install the FPR local to the tank, pump, or even inside the tank....and that would more likely be classed as a dead end or returnless system, although technically there is still a return of sorts to the fuel reservoir in the tank. Just not via a pipe from the engine.

There are many ways you could configure it, just depends what you want to do really.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

In my reply I had the Corvette regulator in mind since it is so widely used. I do realize there are alternatives to that configuration.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
As G says...not really.

Fuel may not flow through the rails and out the other side, but if the FPR is local to the rails with a supply and return to/from the tank/pump...then it has a return.

Or you could install the FPR local to the tank, pump, or even inside the tank....and that would more likely be classed as a dead end or returnless system, although technically there is still a return of sorts to the fuel reservoir in the tank. Just not via a pipe from the engine.

There are many ways you could configure it, just depends what you want to do really.
I fully understand how the various systems work. Just made a mistake on the description.

In my reply I had the Corvette regulator in mind since it is so widely used. I do realize there are alternatives to that configuration.
That's the version I had in mind as well.

Quick Reply: Let's Talk Fuel Systems