Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.8 ls swap help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 10:30 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.8 ls swap help!

Hello, I'm a 18y/o who loves cars. I'm fairly knowledgeable in cars(student ase) but I'm no mechanic and don't plan to be(I want to study to be a mechanical engineer). I've been looking around for a project, everything from 240sx's to firebirds to corvettes to supras. I found a really cool 944 for sale. It runs and drives and has a widebody with massive tires, but its an n/a. Since I was a kid, I've always loved the 944 body style, and in fact my dream track car is a Rivera blue 944 with a destroked itb ls2 8k rpm screamer. Being a kid still, that isn't monetarily reasonable, so I was looking at a 4.8 swap. The 4.8 gives decent power for the price, and when money allows, I can pull the 4.8 crank in favor of an aluminum ls2 block and make the motor I want.

That being said, I have a few questions before I get myself into this.

1. Wiring:
The motor in question is a 4.8 from a 2000 Silverado with low miles. It comes with a harness, ecu, and all the accessories. Will I be able to get the factory truck harness and ecu to run the motor fairly easily while still retaining the 944 speedo, tach and radio etc? Or will i need a conversion harness from wiring specialties or something?

2. The swap:
Ill be getting the basic swap kit from Texas performance concepts, which includes mounts, adapters, oil pan+pickupclutch, flywheel throw out bearings, etc. that gives me everything needed to physically put the motor in, but being a truck motor, I'll need an ls1 style intake and corvette/body type accessory brackets, but is there anything else needed?

3. Drive train:
Being am n/a, the car will need a few upgrades to handle approximately 300 horsepower. I know for a fact brakes are one. I read that Volvo 240 4 pot front calipers bolt onto the na spindle without modification, but do they fit with the factory rotors and such? Also the car in question is an 84 , so it's an early year car meaning its harder to find coilovers and stuff. Does anyone know what coilovers work well with the chassis? The car will need new suspension due to the added weight in the front (iron block) so I might as well get an upgrade over stock. The Porsche forums say the stock transaxle should last with a stockish 4.8/5.3 as long as you aren't beating on the car, but eventually a 951 or 928 trans would be in order. Any other drivetrain/ suspension stuff that you can think of?

I think that's about it, I'm just trying to get a ballpark of what all needs to be done before I commit. Id like the have the car running and driving by spring , so any help.would be greatly appreciated in deciding if I go through with this. Thanks!
Old 10-17-2017, 11:25 AM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Search for the several swaps that are here and start reading,nothing wrong with starting with a 4.8 and upgrading as the budget allows.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even though there are smart folks here, you might find more help on the 944 details on a 944 or Porsche forum.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:25 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

The 944 specific stuff would probably be better asked on a forum for them.
Old 10-17-2017, 04:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 243
Even though there are smart folks here, you might find more help on the 944 details on a 944 or Porsche forum.
I was looking on them, and most of the v8 swaps over there are more or less shunned for ditching the stock Porsche motor. Also the main part of my question was engine wiring related and I figured it would be better to ask that here as you all are more likely to know. Thanks!
Old 10-17-2017, 06:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

Technically you ditched an Audi/VW motor LOL

If it was me I toss the entire Porsche electrical in the dumpster and buy a painless wiring kit..
It will save a lot of weight, it ditches all the unnecessary over engineered German stuff.. I'd put generic VDO gauges in the dash. and use a GM engine harness and computer chopped back to a standalone. I've driven a stock 944 on the track, the brakes are not that bad.. and most of the parts are not unique to the 944, the 44 was designed on a budget at Porsche and they raided the spare parts bin to build them. Good pads get you a LONG ways on the 944.

There are some calipers from Willwood if I recall that fit the car.. Been a few years..
Old 10-17-2017, 06:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,019 Likes on 2,350 Posts

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
.........and most of the parts are not unique to the 944, the 44 was designed on a budget at Porsche and they raided the spare parts bin to build them.
Actually that is more true of the 924 that preceded it. As it evolved into the 944, it got more dedicated Porsche-developed parts included in the mix.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
Technically you ditched an Audi/VW motor LOL

If it was me I toss the entire Porsche electrical in the dumpster and buy a painless wiring kit..
It will save a lot of weight, it ditches all the unnecessary over engineered German stuff.. I'd put generic VDO gauges in the dash. and use a GM engine harness and computer chopped back to a standalone. I've driven a stock 944 on the track, the brakes are not that bad.. and most of the parts are not unique to the 944, the 44 was designed on a budget at Porsche and they raided the spare parts bin to build them. Good pads get you a LONG ways on the 944.

There are some calipers from Willwood if I recall that fit the car.. Been a few years..
Well being a complete novice for the electrical aspect of things, I'm looking for the simplest way to get it running and driving. Would ditching the factory wiring do that or would it be better if I just did an engine harness instead? I have very little wiring experience, but my dad can help out some. he's had an 89 iroc with a beefed up 305, a nova with a 396 and a bunch of other hot rods. Nothing crazy special but he's had some experience and can help. Thanks!
Old 10-18-2017, 07:23 AM
On The Tree

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

For the swap, I need headers/exhaust manifolds, you have forgotten to mention them in your list. You also need to think about fuel supply (gas pump, lines...) and cooling.
As for the wiring, you should first talk to the guys who sell that kit you will use for your swap: if they sell everything needed, they probably know about the wiring too, and know useful people. Otherwise, for the engine harness, you can have the OEM harness modified and computer re-programmed by a specialized company (I have used Speartech), and then it is pretty much plug-and-play to start the engine. that same company may be able to help for speedo, tach...
Why do you say you NEED the Corvette-style accessory drive, the truck works perfectly, unless it is a question of space... Same for the intake, the truck intake is a really good piece, keeping it can save you some money at the beginning, unless it does not fit under the hood!
For the Porsche forum, maybe ask your 944-specific questions without saying you swap a V8, just say you want to improve your car chassi a bit...
Old 10-18-2017, 07:26 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

The wiring is going to be the exact same for your car as any other LS swap.
You can use www.lt1swap.com to do your own harness in a weekend for next to nothing.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:33 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wave1957
For the swap, I need headers/exhaust manifolds, you have forgotten to mention them in your list. You also need to think about fuel supply (gas pump, lines...) and cooling.
As for the wiring, you should first talk to the guys who sell that kit you will use for your swap: if they sell everything needed, they probably know about the wiring too, and know useful people. Otherwise, for the engine harness, you can have the OEM harness modified and computer re-programmed by a specialized company (I have used Speartech), and then it is pretty much plug-and-play to start the engine. that same company may be able to help for speedo, tach...
Why do you say you NEED the Corvette-style accessory drive, the truck works perfectly, unless it is a question of space... Same for the intake, the truck intake is a really good piece, keeping it can save you some money at the beginning, unless it does not fit under the hood!
For the Porsche forum, maybe ask your 944-specific questions without saying you swap a V8, just say you want to improve your car chassi a bit...
Well from what I read , the stock manifolds actually work quite well for swaps as they are fairly close to the motor and still flow well enough. As for the accessory drive and intake , space IS the issue. While it has enough space for an ls motor, the hood would never clear the high rise truck manifold and the accessories. Hence the reason for fbody/vette parts. Thanks for the info on the fuel stuff, I had almost forgotten about that lol. And as for the harness and ecu remap suggestion, I just emailed the company to see what they think. And I might look into that on the Porsche forums some. Honestly I don't see what's so bad about swapping to an ls series... It combines an amazing chassis with an even better motor for better reliability and power than the original one. Makes perfect sense to me lol. Thanks!

Quick Reply: 4.8 ls swap help!