Sponsored by:

Jeep Republicon, One Ton Jeep on 42's with LQ4/TH400 Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 09:33 PM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by michaelmaxim
Yep it's removable. However, the I purposely welded the bung in a location where I can get to it with enough clearance along the frame rail and motor with a thread chaser, 1/2" ratchet and or impact if they ever get stuck again.

The thread chaser should be here today so I'll clean up the threads tonight and see if I have any better luck threading in the correct O2 sensors that I picked up last night.

I'll definitely be applying some anti-seize to both.

I'm hoping that having the front O2's installed will let the Jeep start and idle on the base tune enough to get some data logged in HP Tuners so I can get Jeff Lowry to help me fine tune the rest of the tune. It will start now, then it shuts down in a few seconds and smells really rich.
Nice, good thinkin ahead. I wasn't sure if there was enough room. The picture looks a little deceiving, hahaha.

Did you chase it? Hopefully it came in on time.

Good luck man, I hope this gets you up and running.
Are you local to Jeff?
Good luck man, lookin forward to your updates.
Old 11-01-2017, 11:28 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bomb as build but realy , FU¥€k the neighbors tell if don’t like turn there TV up
Old 11-02-2017, 08:52 AM
Staging Lane

I was able to chase the threads in the bung and get the O2's in last night. It was getting kind of late so I couldn't really fire it up. I'll get home early from work today and plug in the laptop to start logging data on this thing. I need to get it idling right.

You can see how mangled the threads were on the one O2 that I tried putting in...not sure happened there. It threaded in fine. But when it came time to take it back out after realizing the plug was wrong... she was a PITA.

Name:  gx1xcKC.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  503 Bytes

Name:  bttOqy4.jpg

Name:  SLbG5bg.jpg
Views: 154
Old 11-02-2017, 06:33 PM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

Nice man, glad it worked out.
Lookin forward to hearing back with some updates on the tuning aspects of the build
Old 11-03-2017, 08:33 AM
Staging Lane

Jeff worked with me over the phone last night and we finally got it to idle after changing some of the VE table. I have to say he's a pretty good dude. He was making dinner with food in the oven with me on the phone and helping me dial this in. I'm going to have to buy him a steak dinner once we get this all worked out. It's still seems to be running lean too for some reason. I've checked all my gaskets, tightened the header bolts, tightened the O2 sensors and it's giving me hell. Its idling way better now but when I give it any throttle while it's idling, it falls on its face and stalls. It was getting late last night so I had to turn the Jeep off before the neighbors started bitching again...

Name:  IhTLQTI.jpg
Size:  127.6 KB
Old 11-09-2017, 08:54 AM
Staging Lane

Well she's idling a helluva lot better now. I had a fuel pressure issue with my Jeep TJ fuel pump. I had to pull the pump back out of the tank and fix the sock on the bottom and little flap for the pickup that was stuck in the closed position. Now that's fixed, we have plenty of fuel pressure.

Name:  C3v614E.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  124.7 KB

Name:  BqOHDfu.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  117.7 KB

Old 11-09-2017, 07:36 PM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

Man, your neighbors sound like real douches. It makes it hard to have any fun, haha.

That tuning stuff looks like Chinese to me. How do you figure it out? I need to join HP Tuners forum.

All tuned and ready to roll, congrats. It sounds great.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:17 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Tig
Man, your neighbors sound like real douches. It makes it hard to have any fun, haha.

That tuning stuff looks like Chinese to me. How do you figure it out? I need to join HP Tuners forum.

All tuned and ready to roll, congrats. It sounds great.
Yep they are. It was my wife's bright idea to buy a home in a country club community. I was shooting for 10+ acres in the woods with no neighbors in sight. We'll be re-listing our house in the spring and looking for something around the base of the mountain that we live near with more land. I need to build a shop. I worked on three vehicles yesterday alone. I'm sure my neighbors love that too. Did a pinion seal on a Jeep, changed plugs for a neighbor in his Honda Odyssey van and then helped a friend diagnose a bad blower motor in his Dodge Dakota.

As for HP Tuners, I'm not figuring it out. I bought it in hopes of just getting the Jeep fired up enough to get it to the tuner. Its way over my head but now it's at least nice to be able to disable VATS and EGR stuff for friends that are doing LS swaps. I'll let the fine tuning up to Jeff at PSI.

Anyways, the Jeep was on a test drive this weekend and it blew the belt off at 6200 RPM. Jeff was driving and said he ended up in the median because the Jeep has hydro assist steering. No belt means no steering lol. Anyone know of a part number for a tensioner pulley that his lips that isn't ribbed? I'm thinking it needs lips to keep the belt tracking straight and keep it from bouncing around at high RPMs.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

If my neighbors see my S-10 in the driveway for more than like 2 or 3 days, they call the cops. Even the cops wish they would let it go. Every time they have to come out they're like "We get it, so here...you have 2 weeks from TODAY to put it back in the garage."

Next place I live will definitely have room for a shop.

Jay
Old 11-21-2017, 06:30 PM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by michaelmaxim
Yep they are. It was my wife's bright idea to buy a home in a country club community. I was shooting for 10+ acres in the woods with no neighbors in sight. We'll be re-listing our house in the spring and looking for something around the base of the mountain that we live near with more land. I need to build a shop. I worked on three vehicles yesterday alone. I'm sure my neighbors love that too. Did a pinion seal on a Jeep, changed plugs for a neighbor in his Honda Odyssey van and then helped a friend diagnose a bad blower motor in his Dodge Dakota.

As for HP Tuners, I'm not figuring it out. I bought it in hopes of just getting the Jeep fired up enough to get it to the tuner. Its way over my head but now it's at least nice to be able to disable VATS and EGR stuff for friends that are doing LS swaps. I'll let the fine tuning up to Jeff at PSI.

Anyways, the Jeep was on a test drive this weekend and it blew the belt off at 6200 RPM. Jeff was driving and said he ended up in the median because the Jeep has hydro assist steering. No belt means no steering lol. Anyone know of a part number for a tensioner pulley that his lips that isn't ribbed? I'm thinking it needs lips to keep the belt tracking straight and keep it from bouncing around at high RPMs.
Hahaha, some times happy wife doesn't always mean happy life.
Good luck, I hope it sells quickly. You need the shop and space.
I'm trying to organize a garage build now for hopefully next summer.

Its a start. Hang in there, maybe Jeff will volunteer some time to go over it with yah.

Man, wish I could help you out there.
Did you find one?
Old 11-27-2017, 07:56 AM
Staging Lane

Fixed the belt issue by changing to an ICT Billet manual tensioner with a turn buckle on the alternator. Had to do a little shimming here and there on the idler and the alternator but it's running on all 6 ribs now. I also added a lipped idler pulley just for safe measures.

Took the Jeep for a spin and all is good except on little item. If I'd hammer on it good, it would end up acting like it was losing fuel pressure. If I turned it off and back on again, it would start right up. I got out and noticed an exhaust smell from the drivers side. I found that the reducer/collector nuts all came off of the bolts and the header to the down pipe wasn't connected just above the 02 sensor. I'm wondering if this loose exhaust pipe just before the O2 would cause this condition?

I added high temp locktite to the nuts and torqued them down but haven't had it back out yet...

Here's a quick video of it in action!

Old 11-27-2017, 10:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

That would definitely cause the problem. The loose connection allows air in, throwing the O2 sensor way off, and richening the mix, which then hits the other sensor, causing IT to overcompensate. Vicious circle! See what happens when all is bolted up. Don't forget the Loctite....

Quick Reply: Jeep Republicon, One Ton Jeep on 42's with LQ4/TH400 Build Thread