Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 new edge mustang 4.8 lsx turbo swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 06:06 AM
9 Second Club

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Nothing really new guys except a different cowl hood. Wanted something to clear a vortec intake cover. Just got it sprayed and mounted yesterday.

i do have a pretty big list of things to get done over this coming winter. With mine and my wife’s work schedule I won’t be getting it back to the track any this year.

So so far I’ve come up with

-10pt cage
-msd 2 step
-team z anti roll bar
-real tial 38mm wastegates to get these leaking rip off off my car
-bump steer kit
-new tires. Up in the air on drag radials vs slicks. Leaning towards slicks to absorb some of the shock when I get the transbrake hooked up. Car is mainly a
track car, if anyone has any recommendations on the topic lmk
-retune for 15psi+. I’m probably going to make the switch to race gas next year. Not sure which octane to run. I would go e85 but with the power I need to put down to get into the 9’s my pump will struggle and not sure I’ll have the cash for fuel system upgrades. I’m running a aem 400lph pump and Sd80s. I’ll talk more with my tuner about that
-switch interior over to black.
-also want to grab hptuners so I can make small changes myself

the goal is to take my combo into the 9s all of next year then eventually upgrade my turbo and go to a l33. After Xmas parts should start rolling in, kids/wife come first then the car.

99 new edge mustang 4.8 lsx turbo swap-dfkci4p.jpg
99 new edge mustang 4.8 lsx turbo swap-mtwoeng.jpg

Last edited by RobertD; 11-06-2018 at 08:23 AM.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:20 AM
TECH Regular

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by RobertD
Nothing really new guys except a different cowl hood. Wanted something to clear a vortec intake cover. Just got it sprayed and mounted yesterday.

i do have a pretty big list of things to get done over this coming winter. With mine and my wife’s work schedule I won’t be getting it back to the track any this year.

So so far I’ve come up with

-10pt cage
-msd 2 step
-team z anti roll bar
-real tial 38mm wastegates to get these leaking rip off off my car
-bump steer kit
-new tires. Up in the air on drag radials vs slicks. Leaning towards slicks to absorb some of the shock when I get the transbrake hooked up. Car is mainly a
track car, if anyone has any recommendations on the topic lmk
-retune for 15psi+. I’m probably going to make the switch to race gas next year. Not sure which octane to run. I would go e85 but with the power I need to put down to get into the 9’s my pump will struggle and not sure I’ll have the cash for fuel system upgrades. I’m running a aem 400lph pump and Sd80s. I’ll talk more with my tuner about that
-switch interior over to black.
-also want to grab hptuners so I can make small changes myself

the goal is to take my combo into the 9s all of next year then eventually upgrade my turbo and go to a l33. After Xmas parts should start rolling in, kids/wife come first then the car.
Hell yes I like that hood. Looks MEAN! I would definitely grab HP tuners. You'll never look back being able to tune your own car. You'll be able to save money by not having to go back to the tuner too. Definitely start on the race gas and see where you end up. I'm sure you'll hit 9's on that alone. I do love the idea of e85 but it's hard to get where I live, it's difficult to start on in the winter, and it takes a LOT more fuel. I'm going to be switching up my combo in the spring so hopefully I can dabble in the e85 craze. Good luck man can't wait to see more!
Old 11-14-2018, 11:33 AM
9 Second Club

Thanks man.

What pump are are you running now and what pump do you plan to switch to if that’s even necessary?
Old 11-14-2018, 12:44 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks man.

What pump are are you running now and what pump do you plan to switch to if that’s even necessary?
I have a single walbro 450 in the car. I have another one in a box somewhere which I might run or I might sump the tank and run an external pump to come on with boost. That's all very up in the air right now though. I would just push the 450 until it ran out of fuel for now, then figure out a plan. I've been dying to get the car back on the dyno with this 5.3 in it. I think I mentioned before I really don't care for it and under 2500 it feels gutless. Hoping it's in my head though.
Old 11-14-2018, 01:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

first off, im jealous as hell of these cowl hoods you guys all have. mine will have a big stupid one at some point lol.

second slicks vs radials, if its a track toy only, slicks. if its on both, honestly id keep a DR on a bigger rim and keep a smaller rim with slicks for the track. mine will be on slicks but ill probably swap between them before/after the track so its not sitting on race tires in my driveway. unassuming as possible since it sits outside.
Old 11-15-2018, 06:47 AM
9 Second Club

Lol my hood is a 10 footer but I knew it when I bought it. It waves at you and would need hours of body work that I don’t have the patience for to be right. That flat black plastidip hides it pretty well. If and when I ever have this car repainted I’ll have to buy a quality hood. It’s function over form for right now though, way more important stuff I need then a $600 hood at the moment.

i am leaning towards slicks I just worry about the rim slipping inside tire with the low air pressure you run slicks at. Plus that top end sway worries me. Might be over thinking it. I’ve just never run a bias ply tire.

When I was at lsfest there was a guy named jerry (super cool dude) with a sn95 named “blueballz” I was pitted with the first day. Was his first time on those slicks and they moved 6” every pass. Granted he was a stick car hitting the tires harder then I ever will

Last edited by RobertD; 11-15-2018 at 06:54 AM.
Old 11-18-2018, 01:43 PM
9 Second Club

Scrolling threw my thread and realized I never posted my favorite pic of the car. Larry Chen took it at lsfest and I absolutely love it

99 new edge mustang 4.8 lsx turbo swap-wxwv2se.jpg

Also realized I never put my one wheel lift off vid lol. Car was building boost like crazy that day and wanted to push threw the brakes

Last edited by RobertD; 11-19-2018 at 09:11 AM.
The following users liked this post:
tonsofflxn (05-02-2020)
Old 11-18-2018, 03:39 PM
10 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Good stuff!!

Correction: Larry Chen
Old 11-19-2018, 09:12 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Romulus22
Good stuff!!

Correction: Larry Chen

autocorrect gets me every time. Fixed
Old 12-10-2018, 04:13 PM
9 Second Club

Getting ready to order my 10pt cage from wild rides and having trouble deciding between the continuous a pillar design and the halo design.

Lol wanting which ever one will be the easiest and have the most access to weld right in the windshield area. Any opionions guys ?

After talking with Romulus22 I think I’m leaning towards the continuous a pillar design

Last edited by RobertD; 12-10-2018 at 07:08 PM.
Old 12-21-2018, 06:45 PM
9 Second Club

Winter sucks to say the least.

Ive been collecting a few parts here and there. Grabbed a kirkey and racecraft seat bracket, pair of 275 pro’s with only a few passes on them, msd 2 step and I finally ordered my cage. Member Burning pulled me a black dash and some other black interior pieces. All I’m missing now is door panels.

Cage wont be here until after the first of the year. Was hoping to have it before that since I’ve got some time off work, is what it is. I’ll keep progress updated once I get the cages. Oh, also grabbed a new welder. Going to practice until I feel comfortable and weld it in myself. Also grabbed a 4ft piece of the same tubing to practice on until I can get right. If I doubt myself at all worst case scenario I tack it all in and pay someone to full weld it up

99 new edge mustang 4.8 lsx turbo swap-0nvdvi0.jpg
99 new edge mustang 4.8 lsx turbo swap-pfhwrcl.jpg
Old 12-27-2018, 12:31 PM
Launching!

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Cant wait to see the ugly tan go away! lol
Old 12-28-2018, 09:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Awesome!
Old 01-04-2019, 08:40 AM
9 Second Club

With winter here, bored out of my mind with nothin really to work on at the moment I’ve been debating on what to do with my set up.

Option 1- keep my current 4.8 gen3 motor and gt45, turn it up and run it until it blows. I think at he power I want to be at I’ll be on borrowed time but maybe not. I’m looking for 600-650 to the wheels

Option 2- bite the bullet and go ahead and buy a gen4 L33 and run my gt45. This would probably be the safest most reliable option for the power goals I’m looking for. I think I’ll max this gt45 out pretty easily but at the same time it’s going to help some other parts live a little longer

and option 3- go ahead and buy a l33 and upgrade my turbo to a 78/75 or 76/75. Sky is the limit with this setup. My driveshaft, tranny and fuel system is going to be the limiting factor there. Of course this option is ideal but harder to make happen money wise as I still have some other parts to buy

These options have have been playing threw my mind like crazy. my original plan was to take this combo as far as I can. But pushing this gen3 motor to tthe edge there is a lot of potential for failure. Idk maybe I’m over thinking it.

Last edited by RobertD; 01-04-2019 at 08:48 AM.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:06 AM
TECH Regular

With winter here, bored out of my mind with nothin really to work on at the moment I’ve been debating on what to do with my set up.

I hear ya on this one. I picked up another New Edge and am chomping at the bit to start working on it.

Option 2- bite the bullet and go ahead and buy a gen4 L33 and run my gt45. This would probably be the safest most reliable option for the power goals I’m looking for. I think I’ll max this gt45 out pretty easily but at the same time it’s going to help some other parts live a little longer
I would say this one would probably be best but it's all going to come down to money. Me personally I'd find anything gen 4 (4.8, 5.3, or 6.0) cheap and go from there. Save your cam for the new motor, put an old one back in the gen 3 and sell it off. At least it's worth something with all of it's parts still in the block haha. Then you just have to figure out how much you want to spend or just push everything to their limits and then start spending. Set a goal then maybe start knocking them off one by one, with the motor being the first (and possibly the most important). Just my thoughts.

Old 01-09-2019, 10:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

how many passes on the setup currently?

id say run it till it pops. id take the gt45 off and put on the bigger turbo. can make same power on less cylinder pressure since it moves more air.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:33 AM
9 Second Club

I think my current motor has maybe 12/13 passes on it

after doing some gen3 digging I ran across this

https://ls1tech.com/forums/single-di...ong-block.html

im contemplating just throwing a s475 on it and run it till it pops. I’m limited to 750ish by fuel and tranny anyways
Old 01-09-2019, 10:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

if you are running till it pops, id get a cast 7875 from vsr. its plenty to run it to death and if it dies you are gunna lose a 400 dollar tops turbo vs a more expensive one.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:51 AM
TECH Regular

I think my current motor has maybe 12/13 passes on it

after doing some gen3 digging I ran across this

https://ls1tech.com/forums/single-di...ong-block.html

im contemplating just throwing a s475 on it and run it till it pops. I’m limited to 750ish by fuel and tranny anyways
well damn. I feel like these things impress me everytime I read another high hp number. Open up the ring gap and fill with e85 and let it rip then! Im in for this ride haha! Althouhg with E you'll need some bigger injectors and another pump probably, but hell yes!
Old 01-09-2019, 10:58 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by dan95gst
if you are running till it pops, id get a cast 7875 from vsr. its plenty to run it to death and if it dies you are gunna lose a 400 dollar tops turbo vs a more expensive one.
if you look hard enough you can find a cast china S475 for about 400. For close to the same price though you'll have to do some research and find out which one is gonna benefit you better at the track. Those s475's can be very laggy. Although a sloppy cure for that is to use nitrous off the line hahaha.

Quick Reply: 99 new edge mustang 4.8 lsx turbo swap