Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 new edge mustang 4.8 lsx turbo swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 07:59 AM
Turbo Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just make sure your yoke has the splines machines back ~ 1in or whatever to fit the truck output shaft. You can either search for the dims and have yours machined or buy one already done...I have the Sonax, fit great.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:11 AM
TECH Regular

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by RICE ETR
Just make sure your yoke has the splines machines back ~ 1in or whatever to fit the truck output shaft. You can either search for the dims and have yours machined or buy one already done...I have the Sonax, fit great.
Are you talking about counterboring the yoke to fit over the oring-ed truck output shafts?

Last edited by SwapStang; 04-18-2018 at 09:26 AM.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:58 AM
Turbo Addict

Lol yes, I guess I should have just said that
Old 04-18-2018, 10:59 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RICE ETR
Lol yes, I guess I should have just said that
I thought I was crazy when I first starting trying to find the right yoke. No local driveshaft shop could tell me anything. I bought a 1330 counterbored from Denny's Driveshafts and used my stock driveshaft. It worked perfect.
Old 04-18-2018, 11:27 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ever so close to starting it up! I'm going to go with Denny's driveshaft yoke also.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:18 PM
9 Second Club

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by SwapStang
I thought I was crazy when I first starting trying to find the right yoke. No local driveshaft shop could tell me anything. I bought a 1330 counterbored from Denny's Driveshafts and used my stock driveshaft. It worked perfect.
I’ll check these out
Old 04-20-2018, 11:41 AM
Turbo Addict

Yea same for me with the local shops...it was even hard to find info on the internet for some reason. I went the Denny's route too, problem solved.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:56 PM
9 Second Club

So wow!!! What an eventful weekend, even more eventful past couple hours

Got my harness all plugged up and for a day and a half couldn’t figure out why my pcm wasn’t getting power. Member Burning is a got damn genious and figured it out by a looking at a few pictures. Turns out dude on eBay that did my harness had 2 wires in the wrong spot, swapped them and bam it ran. Not good, but ran.

So we crank on it some more to see if I could get it to idle and I start to smell fuel. Look down and fuel is poring out my passanger exhaust manifold. Pull the plugs and they are soaked. Maybe a stuck injector, haven’t looked into it. Just lucky it didn’t hydro lock

So I pull all the plugs to clear out the cylinders. Pull the fuel pump relay and turn it over. Gas sprays to the ceiling, hit the wife in the head, she runs to the opposite side to get away from the spray fuel and bam, passanger side catches on fire, flames over the roof line!!

So I can admit when I **** up...forgot to unplug the coils... oops **** happens. Didn’t mess anything up besides some unused connectors from my ac that doesn’t exist anymore.

So tonight I got lucky more then once . No hydro lock, and no house/car/wife burned down to the ground.

99 new edge mustang 4.8 lsx turbo swap-whpefea.jpg
99 new edge mustang 4.8 lsx turbo swap-dyadg7q.jpg

Tranny fluid is from pos dipstick tube not sealing good

Last edited by RobertD; 04-23-2018 at 07:07 AM.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:20 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RobertD
So wow!!! What an eventful weekend, even more eventful past couple hours

Got my harness all plugged up and for a day and a half couldn’t figure out why my pcm wasn’t getting power. Member Burning is a got damn genious and figured it out by a looking at a few pictures. Turns out dude on eBay that did my harness had 2 wires in the wrong spot, swapped them and bam it ran. Not good, but ran.

So we crank on it some more to see if I could get it to idle and I start to smell fuel. Look down and fuel is poring out my passanger exhaust manifold. Pull the plugs and they are soaked. Maybe a stuck injector, haven’t looked into it. Just lucky it didn’t hydro lock

So I pull all the plugs to clear out the cylinders. Pull the fuel pump relay and turn it over. Gas sprays to the ceiling, hit the wife in the head, she runs to the opposite side to get away from the spray fuel and bam, passanger side catches on fire, flames over the roof line!!

So I can admit when I **** up...forgot to unplug the coils... oops **** happens. Didn’t mess anything up besides some unused connectors from my ac that doesn’t exist anymore.

So tonight I got lucky more then once . No hydro lock, and no house/car/wife burned down to the ground.

Damn man that's crazy. Glad to hear it didn't end in disaster. I had a no spark issue with tons of fuel but never had it pour out the exhaust. If it was running that bad do you have spark on all those passenger coils? If the guy that did your harness swapped two wires it would stand to reason he could've swapped more that just that. I'd definitely be asking for some cash back too!
Old 04-23-2018, 07:47 AM
9 Second Club

When I get off work today I’m going to see if those coils are firing before I message the dude.

Pretty unhappy with the work really. Took right at 8 weeks to get when he quoted 3-4, if Chris (Burning) didn’t see those wires I’d still be scratching my head, clueless on what to do next. Oh and I asked him to leave my front o2 sensors bc I’ve read some tuners use them and some don’t with speed density and I have no idea who will tune it and if they will use them or not

Last edited by RobertD; 04-23-2018 at 07:56 AM.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:17 AM
TECH Regular

When I get off work today I’m going to see if those coils are firing before I message the dude.

Pretty unhappy with the work really. Took right at 8 weeks to get when he quoted 3-4, if Chris (Burning) didn’t see those wires I’d still be scratching my head, clueless on what to do next. Oh and I asked him to leave my front o2 sensors bc I’ve read some tuners use them and some don’t with speed density and I have no idea who will tune it and if they will use them or not

That's good Burning could help you figure it out. Wiring problems are literally the worst. 8 weeks is pretty unreasonable. That sucks. I eliminated all my o2s I guess you can tune speed density with a closed loop but I was just looking for simplicity and I was tuning it myself so I didn't care. I'd definitely let the guy know you aren't happy. If he's a stand up guy he'll do right... hopefully. I see craigslist ads all the time for guys looking to rework a harness or do tuning, just seems so sketchy to me. It was a lot of work and pretty tedious but I was glad I did the work myself just for the learning experience. Just go for it next time you'll be fine!
Old 04-23-2018, 08:59 AM
Launching!

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Told you to make your own lol. I'm glad i could help.

That's good Burning could help you figure it out. Wiring problems are literally the worst. 8 weeks is pretty unreasonable. That sucks. I eliminated all my o2s I guess you can tune speed density with a closed loop but I was just looking for simplicity and I was tuning it myself so I didn't care. I'd definitely let the guy know you aren't happy. If he's a stand up guy he'll do right... hopefully. I see craigslist ads all the time for guys looking to rework a harness or do tuning, just seems so sketchy to me. It was a lot of work and pretty tedious but I was glad I did the work myself just for the learning experience. Just go for it next time you'll be fine!
This is the reason i went with my own... I wanted my ecu in a specific place, which most companies don't make them the length i needed. I knew what i wanted the end result to be for the wiring being shown. Most reworks dont go through the things i did to make the harness as slick as possible.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:23 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Burning
This is the reason i went with my own... I wanted my ecu in a specific place, which most companies don't make them the length i needed. I knew what i wanted the end result to be for the wiring being shown. Most reworks dont go through the things i did to make the harness as slick as possible.

You definitely went above and beyond what I did. I was just interested in getting it running. The next one I do I plan to put the pcm somewhere else. I agree that most harness' will be close but never what someone wants exactly. But for the money I couldn't have someone else do it. This was a budget build after all
Old 04-23-2018, 11:41 AM
9 Second Club

You definitely went above and beyond what I did. I was just interested in getting it running. The next one I do I plan to put the pcm somewhere else. I agree that most harness' will be close but never what someone wants exactly. But for the money I couldn't have someone else do it. This was a budget build after all
Where did you end up mounting your pcm?
Old 04-24-2018, 05:43 AM
9 Second Club

Yesterday I messed around with the car a little.

Changed out the passanger side rail and all 4 injectors, changed the oil, and threw some plugs back in it.

I also found what is probably the main problem. Popped the vacuum line off the fuel pressure regulator and it was full of gas, changed it out.

I need to confirm I’m getting spark out of all 8 coils then I’ll try to figure it out
Old 04-24-2018, 05:16 PM
9 Second Club

It ran!! Fuel pressure regulator took care of it. Lmao big thanks again to Burning for giving me all his old truck stuff when he went to a ls6 intake

Last edited by RobertD; 04-24-2018 at 08:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
2001gtmustang (12-22-2019)
Old 04-25-2018, 09:12 AM
TECH Regular

Where did you end up mounting your pcm?

I mounted my PCM right against the inner fender where the battery originally went. Not pretty but very functional and all the wiring fit pretty all with it.
Old 05-03-2018, 04:44 PM
9 Second Club

I’ve got some things done here and there on this thing.

Radiator mounted, Intercooler piping just needs clamped down, and have been working on my down pipe the past couple days...and finally got the ***** to cut the 4” hole in my cobra bumper... no turning back now

99 new edge mustang 4.8 lsx turbo swap-frrgzbw.jpg

my buddy Calvin welded up the first section you see for me...I didn’t and couldn’t get lucky enough to replicate those pie cuts so I stayed away from welding up the first section

99 new edge mustang 4.8 lsx turbo swap-8w8itv4.jpg
99 new edge mustang 4.8 lsx turbo swap-fcfeiuj.jpg
99 new edge mustang 4.8 lsx turbo swap-3keskam.jpg

mock up on the last section. The pic with it by the tire is the wheel cut all the way to the left

99 new edge mustang 4.8 lsx turbo swap-xmrov9t.jpg
99 new edge mustang 4.8 lsx turbo swap-a8pm2u3.jpg
Old 05-03-2018, 05:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts
Thumbs up

Good stuff
Old 05-03-2018, 07:35 PM
9 Second Club

All tacked in. I’ll cut that pipe down to where it only sticks out about a 1/4” or so

99 new edge mustang 4.8 lsx turbo swap-kilvyx8.jpg
99 new edge mustang 4.8 lsx turbo swap-6vmaalp.jpg

Quick Reply: 99 new edge mustang 4.8 lsx turbo swap