2003 Mustang LM7/4L80e Swap - Page 4 - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Notices
Conversions & Hybrids LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 Mustang LM7/4L80e Swap

Reply

Old 04-12-2018, 11:02 AM
  #61  
Staging Lane
Thread Starter
 
Andler2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Amelia, Ohio
Posts: 98
Default

I plan on getting it, but I don't have a laptop and the desktop I do have is still running windows 7 lol

I need to get a new laptop and buy the suite which is going to be at least 1k, so I'll be holding off on those purchases for a bit. Sending it out only cost $75, so that's a much easier cost to swallow when I still need so much to get on the street.

I need to get HP anyway because I can tune my truck with it. I will be installing new headers and studs because I have 5 broken manifold bolts and it ticks like crazy until it warms up. I love the idea of being able to make my own tune and having all of the access to the OEM computer, I just need to pull the trigger and make the purchase.
Andler2008 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 02:48 PM
  #62  
On The Tree
 
SwapStang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Worcester. Ma
Posts: 174
Default

Originally Posted by Andler2008 View Post
I plan on getting it, but I don't have a laptop and the desktop I do have is still running windows 7 lol

I need to get a new laptop and buy the suite which is going to be at least 1k, so I'll be holding off on those purchases for a bit. Sending it out only cost $75, so that's a much easier cost to swallow when I still need so much to get on the street.

I need to get HP anyway because I can tune my truck with it. I will be installing new headers and studs because I have 5 broken manifold bolts and it ticks like crazy until it warms up. I love the idea of being able to make my own tune and having all of the access to the OEM computer, I just need to pull the trigger and make the purchase.

I had to buy a new laptop myself plus the hptuners yep about 950! haha glad I didn't think of the price until now. You could do a pretty decent used laptop from craigslist for cheap I almost went that route. Does Brendan setup the fans for you as well? What did the PCM come out of? I forget.
SwapStang is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 02:50 PM
  #63  
Staging Lane
Thread Starter
 
Andler2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Amelia, Ohio
Posts: 98
Default

Yeah he can setup the fans and do everything HP Tuners does on the front end without using credits. I have an 0411 PCM from an 01 suburban.
Andler2008 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 03:12 PM
  #64  
On The Tree
 
SwapStang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Worcester. Ma
Posts: 174
Default

Originally Posted by Andler2008 View Post
Yeah he can setup the fans and do everything HP Tuners does on the front end without using credits. I have an 0411 PCM from an 01 suburban.
That's not a bad deal. His website has TONS of good stuff he seems like a good guy.
SwapStang is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 03:27 PM
  #65  
On The Tree
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 149
Default

what did you do to get the cooler lines out of the trans tunnel? i was looking at using the stock suburban cooler lines until the flex section and then barb fitting out. but i also have a set of 80e -6an fittings i could put in as well.
dan95gst is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 06:22 AM
  #66  
On The Tree
 
Mungface78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: titusville,fl "321"
Posts: 198
Default

Digging the truck man! You're on your way to starting her up pretty soon!
Mungface78 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 08:15 AM
  #67  
On The Tree
 
SwapStang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Worcester. Ma
Posts: 174
Default

Originally Posted by dan95gst View Post
what did you do to get the cooler lines out of the trans tunnel? i was looking at using the stock suburban cooler lines until the flex section and then barb fitting out. but i also have a set of 80e -6an fittings i could put in as well.
I ran 3/8 lines from my cooler into flared 3/8 hard fuel line. Then that runs just past my k member then flared back into left over 3/8 push lok fuel line into -6an fittings for the tranny. Wasn't really pretty but it was left over stuff and works perfect, never leaked a drop and stays really cool. I'm happy I bought the -6 fittings they worked out well.
SwapStang is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 09:28 AM
  #68  
Staging Lane
Thread Starter
 
Andler2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Amelia, Ohio
Posts: 98
Default

Originally Posted by Mungface78 View Post
Digging the truck man! You're on your way to starting her up pretty soon!
Thanks man! I sure am getting close.

Originally Posted by SwapStang View Post
That's not a bad deal. His website has TONS of good stuff he seems like a good guy.
Lots of info for sure. I used it to get my harness together.

In other news, I did order the speed endineering headers today, also ordered a new 2000 camaro radiator and cap with the ATL 2-Wire bulkheads for the fuel hat. The past few days have been 60-70 degrees and beautiful, but wednesday my son had baseball, thursday my wife was at a conference until 8pm, and today my son has his first game of the year. For the love of god I cannot get any time to work. I have to get up at 5am on the weekdays to go to work, so I try to go to bed at 10. Most of the time it ends up being 11 because I have a needy wife lol

I swear, I will do work this weekend. I'm so amped to finally get out there and get **** done. IT'S FINALLY SPRING TIME!!!!!!

Last edited by Andler2008; 04-13-2018 at 09:34 AM.
Andler2008 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 09:41 AM
  #69  
Staging Lane
Thread Starter
 
Andler2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Amelia, Ohio
Posts: 98
Default

I must also confess, I had given up on this car and decided to let it sit for the next year or so so I can do other things. Especially since I really want a T56, and it's 2k-3k just for the trans.

But I just cannot stop being a gearhead. I love the fab work, I love the feeling of the first drive, and the subsequent "What was that noise? **** it's broken" train of thought. It's all about having fun and enjoying the build, so I just couldn't stay away. Plus, I have the slushbox I can use temporarily until I gather funds for the 6-speed.
Andler2008 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 06:00 AM
  #70  
On The Tree
 
SwapStang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Worcester. Ma
Posts: 174
Default

Originally Posted by Andler2008 View Post
I must also confess, I had given up on this car and decided to let it sit for the next year or so so I can do other things. Especially since I really want a T56, and it's 2k-3k just for the trans.

But I just cannot stop being a gearhead. I love the fab work, I love the feeling of the first drive, and the subsequent "What was that noise? **** it's broken" train of thought. It's all about having fun and enjoying the build, so I just couldn't stay away. Plus, I have the slushbox I can use temporarily until I gather funds for the 6-speed.


I have to admit I was almost at the give up phase of my car too. Soon as it ran the first time I got this sense of "well I sorta did it". I just plugged through though and I'm very happy with my result and an incredible sense of accomplishment. I also wanted a t56 but all my ground work is done. It really wouldn't be much to switch one in at this point, but I like the automatic I have to say. I did look into other routes instead of a t56 and I've seen the 90-96 300zx non turbo trans hold up to quite a bit of power. If one could be had cheap maybe 200 bucks from CL, the conversion is around 600 so that's a far cry from 2k from a t56. Just a suggestion. Don't give up keep plugging away! It'll be worth it in the end I promise.
SwapStang is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 06:23 AM
  #71  
Staging Lane
Thread Starter
 
Andler2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Amelia, Ohio
Posts: 98
Default

Originally Posted by SwapStang View Post
I have to admit I was almost at the give up phase of my car too. Soon as it ran the first time I got this sense of "well I sorta did it". I just plugged through though and I'm very happy with my result and an incredible sense of accomplishment. I also wanted a t56 but all my ground work is done. It really wouldn't be much to switch one in at this point, but I like the automatic I have to say. I did look into other routes instead of a t56 and I've seen the 90-96 300zx non turbo trans hold up to quite a bit of power. If one could be had cheap maybe 200 bucks from CL, the conversion is around 600 so that's a far cry from 2k from a t56. Just a suggestion. Don't give up keep plugging away! It'll be worth it in the end I promise.
Yeah my money was really drying up so I just wasn't able to give it the love I wanted, but instead of just selling it like I have other projects, I was at least determined to keep it to finish another time. Turns out the time is now, and my next tax return is going to pay for a disney trip for the fam, so the wife said do what you want til then.

I know there are a few options out there, just finding them has been more difficult because I never seem to have the needed funds when they show up. For now, I'll just use the 4l80e and run it for a while.

I also have been interviewing for a new job at a local company who has alot of international business, they pay alot more and they have alot more PTO, so I'm hoping all goes my way.

I also got some progress pics, got it rolling again. Engine mounted, trans not yet mounted, just wanted to at least get it on the ground. Once the headers come in I'll probably pull the engine, mount the trans and add the headers to check clearances, and start the core support fab. And I definitely need to get the Fbody pan. As shown, the truck is about 4-5 inches too low.




Last edited by Andler2008; 04-17-2018 at 05:30 AM.
Andler2008 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 06:31 AM
  #72  
Staging Lane
Thread Starter
 
Andler2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Amelia, Ohio
Posts: 98
Default

For some reason, some of my pictures are not showing although they're being kept in my profile. I'll have to figure out what's wrong and I'll get the others posted.
Andler2008 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 07:15 AM
  #73  
On The Tree
 
SwapStang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Worcester. Ma
Posts: 174
Default

Originally Posted by Andler2008 View Post
Yeah my money was really drying up so I just wasn't able to give it the love I wanted, but instead of just selling it like I have other projects, I was at least determined to keep it to finish another time. Turns out the time is now, and my next tax return is going to pay for a disney trip for the fam, so the wife said do what you want til then.

I know there are a few options out there, just finding them has been more difficult because I never seem to have the needed funds when they show up. For now, I'll just use the 4l80e and run it for a while.

I also have been interviewing for a new job at a local company who has alot of international business, they pay alot more and they have alot more PTO, so I'm hoping all goes my way.

I also got some progress pics, got it rolling again. Engine mounted, trans not yet mounted, just wanted to at least get it on the ground. Once the headers come in I'll probably pull the engine, mount the trans and add the headers to check clearances, and start the core support fab. And I definitely need to get the Fbody pan. As shown, the truck is about 4-5 inches too low.


Damn that's a good look right there. I'm glad you're not losing hope. Those truck pans do hang really low. Fine for a drag car but for a regular driver no way. I like the progress!
SwapStang is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 05:43 AM
  #74  
Staging Lane
Thread Starter
 
Andler2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Amelia, Ohio
Posts: 98
Default

Fixed the pictures in my last post update.

I did some more work last night on the fuel tank. I went ahead and made a fuel hat out of some 14ga steel. I figure I'd rather cut up some steel to find out it doesn't fit rather than pay someone to cut one out of aluminum. Turns out, it won't fit with my new fuel pump. So If I use the original fuel hat, I might be able to get it to fit. The problem is that the pump with filter is 5.5" tall and the bottom of the tank to the new fuel hat is 6". Not enough room between the bottom of the bulkheads and the top of the fuel hat. Here's some pictures.







Stock gasket fit well, everything looked good, until I tried to put the pump in lol

I'm thinking about using a stock tank from a 95 and using this fuel pump hanger to get everything setup as close to stock as possible. I don't necessarily have to keep it stock, but it's less expensive than buying a fuel cell and external fuel pump. A brand new 95 tank is $70 on ebay and the fuel pump/hanger is 130. So not too bad, just a minor setback.

I have some ideas on how to make my initial setup work, so I will try those tonight, but I don't know if it will work. I'm keeping an open mind though lol
Andler2008 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 07:57 AM
  #75  
On The Tree
 
SwapStang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Worcester. Ma
Posts: 174
Default

Originally Posted by Andler2008 View Post
I did some more work last night on the fuel tank. I went ahead and made a fuel hat out of some 14ga steel. I figure I'd rather cut up some steel to find out it doesn't fit rather than pay someone to cut one out of aluminum. Turns out, it won't fit with my new fuel pump. So If I use the original fuel hat, I might be able to get it to fit. The problem is that the pump with filter is 5.5" tall and the bottom of the tank to the new fuel hat is 6". Not enough room between the bottom of the bulkheads and the top of the fuel hat. Here's some pictures.

Stock gasket fit well, everything looked good, until I tried to put the pump in lol

I'm thinking about using a stock tank from a 95 and using this fuel pump hanger to get everything setup as close to stock as possible. I don't necessarily have to keep it stock, but it's less expensive than buying a fuel cell and external fuel pump. A brand new 95 tank is $70 on ebay and the fuel pump/hanger is 130. So not too bad, just a minor setback.

I have some ideas on how to make my initial setup work, so I will try those tonight, but I don't know if it will work. I'm keeping an open mind though lol
I like that hanger. The curvature of it is exactly what it takes to slip into these tanks past the baffle (or whatever its called the holds the float). I literally just laid my pump in on its side so I have some slosh issues when its low. I'm gonna pull it back out and get it to stand upright but I'm too cheap to buy that setup haha. What are your HP goals? That 340 will hold you back if you're going turbo. Not sure if you can weasel something else in that setup.
SwapStang is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 09:26 AM
  #76  
Staging Lane
Thread Starter
 
Andler2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Amelia, Ohio
Posts: 98
Default

Originally Posted by SwapStang View Post
I like that hanger. The curvature of it is exactly what it takes to slip into these tanks past the baffle (or whatever its called the holds the float). I literally just laid my pump in on its side so I have some slosh issues when its low. I'm gonna pull it back out and get it to stand upright but I'm too cheap to buy that setup haha. What are your HP goals? That 340 will hold you back if you're going turbo. Not sure if you can weasel something else in that setup.
Yeah I will likely use my 400 that I can swap out. It's only a little fab work to make it work. The only problem with this setup is that it goes into the higher portion of the tank on the passenger side. So it wouldn't fit in the center like the ones from 1996-up. But the tubes have a larger ID to match the AN Hardware so I can't see any drawbacks other than having to put in a bigger pump.

I thought about putting my pump on it's side but the slosh issues were the limiting factor for me. I plan on turbo, 600rwhp is the goal. The 340lph should be able to support close to that, but since I already have the 400, it's going to go in so I don't have to do it twice.
Andler2008 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 12:11 PM
  #77  
On The Tree
 
SwapStang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Worcester. Ma
Posts: 174
Default

Originally Posted by Andler2008 View Post
Yeah I will likely use my 400 that I can swap out. It's only a little fab work to make it work. The only problem with this setup is that it goes into the higher portion of the tank on the passenger side. So it wouldn't fit in the center like the ones from 1996-up. But the tubes have a larger ID to match the AN Hardware so I can't see any drawbacks other than having to put in a bigger pump.

I thought about putting my pump on it's side but the slosh issues were the limiting factor for me. I plan on turbo, 600rwhp is the goal. The 340lph should be able to support close to that, but since I already have the 400, it's going to go in so I don't have to do it twice.


Based on matt from sloppy's research a wally 450 is all done at or just before 600, depending on your setup. I hope to have more to contribute to some fuel setups in the next month when I take mine apart to fix my slosh issue or setup my other car. I didn't try to over think it until I could see what worked and what didn't work.
SwapStang is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 12:37 PM
  #78  
Staging Lane
Thread Starter
 
Andler2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Amelia, Ohio
Posts: 98
Default

When I was researching the QFS 340lph pumps, alot of sources stated that the QFS 340lph is made by the same manufacturer as the Stealth 340. Now, since Aeromotive didn't necessarily mark an estimated HP max, they did however "Estimate" that the pump would work up to 700hp, provided the rest of the fuel system is up to par.

Now I can only estimate that the 400 would be around there due to many people saying 600-700 was the max they were able to reach. However, I have seen plenty of people say their pumps aren't up to the challenge or whatever, when in fact they were just running out of injector. I will try to run the pump as high as I can (Safely) and see what it does. Ultimately, an A1000 is good insurance IMO.

In the time that I should've been working, I have seen quite a few ideas about DIY fuel pump hangers and see alot of the import guys mounting them at a downward angle. I think I may try that as it would greatly reduce the need to change my entire setup all over again. Since I'm just in mockup and can do a little welding, I will likely just weld some 1/4" round to the bottom of the hat, then have it go straight down for a few inches then angled outwards to hold the pump.

More to come tonight I hope.
Andler2008 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 06:21 AM
  #79  
Staging Lane
Thread Starter
 
Andler2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Amelia, Ohio
Posts: 98
Default

I'm waiting on some more fittings from Vibrant, it seems that their mild steel weldable -8AN bung is not -8AN threads, but -8AN O-Ring threads to seal properly. Nothing on their website or Summits explain that, but their Customer service is very good so Craig from tech helped clear it up within minutes.

I got my Fbody radiator, speed engineering headers, header bolts and some unusable fittings from vibrant lol






Those Speed Engineering LS Swap Headers fit wonderfully with the AJE K-Member. The driver side went in from the bottom and the passenger side went in from the top. I apparently forgot to buy gaskets, so those are on order from Summit now.





This weekend I plan on getting the core support built or bought. I like the tube core supports that are currently available, I just don't want to buy it lol I don't have a bender to make one properly, so I may just have to get over it for a clean core support.

My weekend is pretty damn open and it's supposed to be in the 60s, so I expect to get a decent amount of work done.
Andler2008 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 04:06 PM
  #80  
Staging Lane
Thread Starter
 
Andler2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Amelia, Ohio
Posts: 98
Default

I am finally getting to work on this more lately. Baseball season is upon us, and spring time means the wifey needs to get out and window shop and enjoy the fresh air so I've not been doing a lot of car stuff.

I ordered and received my Maximum Motorsports Full Length Subframe connectors, I purchased and received a 15.6" HP Laptop for HP Tuners, I ordered HP Tuners and it should be here Tomorrow along with my 12VDC 1A power cable so I can make a bench tuning harness for the PCM. I also cut and tacked the lower core support out of 1"x2" rectangle tube. It'll extend slightly lower than the front bumper, but I don't think it will be much of an issue. I should be able to finish that sometime this weekend, and get the SFC's welded in. Also reinstalled the doors and doghouse so I could get the core support measured up for the radiator height.

Also made some wooden crib blocks for the wheels. Wanted to get it higher off the ground so I could install the SFC's and make the trans cross member with plenty of space.









Andler2008 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2003 Mustang LM7/4L80e Swap


Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: