Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 02:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I might start a build thread on here for my car finally. I think your build has finally pulled me over that edge haha. Were those samples of the new 3M stuff? Theres a kid around me with a slammed G37 wrapped in that stuff and it looks identical to OEM mystic chrome. It has the exact color flip reaction to light change and it looks so deep. Its amazing how far they have come with vinyl.
Old 04-10-2018, 06:34 AM
Launching!

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LowPony
I think I might start a build thread on here for my car finally. I think your build has finally pulled me over that edge haha. Were those samples of the new 3M stuff? Theres a kid around me with a slammed G37 wrapped in that stuff and it looks identical to OEM mystic chrome. It has the exact color flip reaction to light change and it looks so deep. Its amazing how far they have come with vinyl.
Its actually a good way to keep log of what all you need to do / get input from others. Yes they are from the 1080 Series wraps. I still cant decide what color, may just wrap the roof black and call it a day.

On a side note, may be going turbo..... I was thinking S475, anyone else have any recommendations?
Old 04-10-2018, 08:19 AM
TECH Regular

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Burning
On a side note, may be going turbo..... I was thinking S475, anyone else have any recommendations?

Definitely turbo! haha you'll never look back. I think the s475 is a little laggy (I personally don't know) but once they light off they are insane. I think you said this was an lq4 so I really don't think it will be an issue and the limit is pretty much the sky with that one. However it is huge and having a new edge myself I had trouble just fitting my gt45 in the engine bay. I've heard really good things about 78/75 too and as far as size I think it's pretty manageable. Just my 2 cents
Old 04-10-2018, 10:26 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haven't checked back on this thread in a while but I do like the idea of the Cobra tank. I was wondering what others did. Thanks for taking the time on a great write up.
Old 04-10-2018, 01:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SwapStang
Definitely turbo! haha you'll never look back. I think the s475 is a little laggy (I personally don't know) but once they light off they are insane. I think you said this was an lq4 so I really don't think it will be an issue and the limit is pretty much the sky with that one. However it is huge and having a new edge myself I had trouble just fitting my gt45 in the engine bay. I've heard really good things about 78/75 too and as far as size I think it's pretty manageable. Just my 2 cents
Yeah it is quite a large turbo, but the benefit of going t6 vs t4 is hard to beat IMO. I've looked at a couple of VS Racing's turbos that 78/75 is tempting. Hell his 88MM is reallly tempting. I may end up taking everything back off and chopping the lower and upper radiator supports. Welding in a tubular lower support and installing a bolt in removable upper. Box the radiator support in where i cut it, and weld a nut onto the backside of the plate ill use. Easy bolt in and strong with chromoly 1-1/4" pipe. It should let me slide the radiator quite a bit forward to make room for a turbo.

Originally Posted by Ls1Ryan2002
Haven't checked back on this thread in a while but I do like the idea of the Cobra tank. I was wondering what others did. Thanks for taking the time on a great write up.
Thanks man. Its been a long ride. I think most people use the stock tanks and either sump it or run them without a baffle. I chose to do it the right way with a stock baffled cobra, that way i dont have to worry about fuel cut.
Old 04-11-2018, 10:26 AM
Launching!

New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-cooling-20fan-20relays_zpsxwsilml9.png

All im having some problems with my fan hookups. Anyone know what could be the problem... I have them hooked up as so. Wiring is just temporary to see if i get the fans to work right before soldering and heatshrinking. Fan 1 works, but when i turn fan 2 on it clicks the relay rapidly.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cooling%20fan%20relays_zpsxwsilml9.png
Views:	191
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	703571
Old 04-11-2018, 10:36 AM
TECH Regular

Attachment 703571Youtube

All im having some problems with my fan hookups. Anyone know what could be the problem... I have them hooked up as so. Wiring is just temporary to see if i get the fans to work right before soldering and heatshrinking. Fan 1 works, but when i turn fan 2 on it clicks the relay rapidly.

Attachment 703571

I had trouble with my fan 1 clicking the relay off and on quickly. There was a setting in HPtuners I think It had something to do with the way the ac was controlled previously. Not sure this applies to you I had a 2000 lq4 harness and the same PCM. I'm at work right now so I can't remember exactly what I changed but if you google search it you may be able to find what I did. If you can't I can let you know what I changed when I get to my computer.
Old 04-11-2018, 10:40 AM
TECH Regular

try this in hptuners

System > Ac and select ac recirc under fan setting type

I THINK that's what I did I'm not totally sure though. Let me know how it works.
Old 04-11-2018, 04:49 PM
Teching In

Now i have not made it to testing the engine harness yet, but why are you running three relays with two single fans and no A/C? Am i missing a huge chunk of info? i have wired mine to run two fans off of the single fan 1 relay. I have another relay set aside for the fan 2 control pin just incase i do need to wire it up but i was under the impression that you could just use the fan 1 control to just run the fans all the time. Please correct me if I'm wrong while I'm still working on the wiring lol. Also i will be starting my own thread just to keep me motivated and to be able to keep up with what iv done tonight and ill link you guys if you're interested.
Old 04-11-2018, 05:38 PM
TECH Regular

Now i have not made it to testing the engine harness yet, but why are you running three relays with two single fans and no A/C? Am i missing a huge chunk of info? i have wired mine to run two fans off of the single fan 1 relay. I have another relay set aside for the fan 2 control pin just incase i do need to wire it up but i was under the impression that you could just use the fan 1 control to just run the fans all the time. Please correct me if I'm wrong while I'm still working on the wiring lol. Also i will be starting my own thread just to keep me motivated and to be able to keep up with what iv done tonight and ill link you guys if you're interested.
I’ve got 2 relays on mine but I have one single fan with 2 speeds. Low and hi both work but so far the car has never gotten over 198 to use the second fan. I think the stock ls1 is wired with 3 relays but I’ve never looked much into it, mine worked good for what I need so there was no need. I think there are a LOT of ways to wire the fans up.
Old 04-11-2018, 06:12 PM
Launching!

try this in hptuners

I THINK that's what I did I'm not totally sure though. Let me know how it works.
I'll try it when my car charges up. I left the damn key in the on position.

I'm using the fbody fans which require the 3 relays for proper operation. Fan 1 comes on, then fan 2 will also come on while keeping fan 1 on. Not sure why you have to do it like this but it's what I read from other pages. I'm sure you could run it different ways but the ecu is the grounding for the relay.

If you have AC then you have 4 relays to work with.

I’ve got 2 relays on mine but I have one single fan with 2 speeds. Low and hi both work but so far the car has never gotten over 198 to use the second fan. I think the stock ls1 is wired with 3 relays but I’ve never looked much into it, mine worked good for what I need so there was no need. I think there are a LOT of ways to wire the fans up.
You got that right.

I am still lookin at different turbos. GT45, 7875, S475, billet VSR 80 mm.

I'm going to cut off the upper radiator support and box it out and make a removable upper with a piece of chromoly 1-1/2" tubing. Then I'll buy a team z lower tubular. This should let me push the radiator and fans up a good 4" or so.

Also ordered a 4.5" Kaenen hood, should be here in about a month or so.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:50 AM
TECH Regular

Haha hate it when the damn battery dies on ya!

I think the 7875 should fit without that much modification to the rad support. I thought you said you have fbody accessories so you'll have a lot more room than I did. I'd buy a turbo then try to make it fit. That's what I did because without it your just working in the dark. Helps to hold that sucker in your hands and try to place it. Just my opinion.
Old 04-12-2018, 08:13 PM
Launching!

try this in hptuners

That was it! Got the wiring all buttoned up and loomed after i got it all trimmed and routed.

Haha hate it when the damn battery dies on ya!

I think the 7875 should fit without that much modification to the rad support. I thought you said you have fbody accessories so you'll have a lot more room than I did. I'd buy a turbo then try to make it fit. That's what I did because without it your just working in the dark. Helps to hold that sucker in your hands and try to place it. Just my opinion.
I have some room, just not a bunch, There is quite a bit of room on the passenger side.

Got the car buttoned up for the most part. All thats really left is to install the new McLeod CMC when it arrives, fill trans, replace alternator (I think mine is bad, battery started to die on it tonight with the car ON!), hook up the gauges, RoberD knows what im doing with them. I think yall will like what i have up my sleeve.

Heres a teaser.
Old 04-13-2018, 07:37 AM
TECH Regular

That was it! Got the wiring all buttoned up and loomed after i got it all trimmed and routed.
Awesome!

I have some room, just not a bunch, There is quite a bit of room on the passenger side.
That's where my turbo sits, right on my passenger inner fender where the air box was, but room ran out quick with the waterpump plumbing.

Got the car buttoned up for the most part. All thats really left is to install the new McLeod CMC when it arrives, fill trans, replace alternator (I think mine is bad, battery started to die on it tonight with the car ON!), hook up the gauges, RoberD knows what im doing with them. I think yall will like what i have up my sleeve.
Double check the wiring on the alternator and see what it's putting out for voltage. I thought mine was bad at first I'm just an idiot and forgot to plug it in! haha. You should have just the one wire alternator like mine I believe (99-02)
Old 04-13-2018, 09:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

sounds good! cant wait for the burnout videos!
Old 04-16-2018, 01:38 PM
On The Tree

Looking good man!
Old 04-19-2018, 05:39 PM
Launching!

Alrighty, working out a couple of quarrels with the car. WONT CHARGE!!!!

I have the gray wire and Brown wire running to the two center prongs on the 4 pin alternator pigtail. Im using the truck alternator on the fbody bracket.
Old 04-20-2018, 06:17 AM
TECH Regular

Alrighty, working out a couple of quarrels with the car. WONT CHARGE!!!!

I have the gray wire and Brown wire running to the two center prongs on the 4 pin alternator pigtail. Im using the truck alternator on the fbody bracket.

I have 2 99-02 harness' that came with the alternators and they're both 1 wire alternators. Brown sounds familiar but not gray. I'll try to take a pic for you today. You tried a different known good alternator from those years? They may be wired different inside so swapping different year alts may not work id stick with another 99-02. Someone else can correct me if I'm way off. Pin 15 on the red connector sounds familiar to me. I'll see if I can get some pics later today.
Old 04-20-2018, 06:47 AM
TECH Regular

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ator-wire.html

This was a good thread on alternator wiring. Theres a pic in post 10 of the plug. I guess just pin B is needed and that's how mine was from factory. I guess the ls1 fbody alt takes a 1 wire just like the truck one does.... I didn't know that. Let me know how it goes.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:00 AM
Launching!

Ill take a look at that swapstang. I dont know whats going on with it. I need to use a DMM to make sure its even getting a signal from the ecu to that pin.

Quick Reply: New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56