Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS Swap - 71 Dodge Dart Mopar A-Body

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 09:40 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LS Swap - 71 Dodge Dart Mopar A-Body

Starting a build thread for my 1971 Dodge Dart. Car was a dark green 6 cylinder automatic w/ a vinyl top in its previous life. Have some pictures down below to show where I'm at on the project.

I'm opening this thread to show what I'm doing and, over time, hopefully get some unique input on how to move forward with challenges I run into. I'm 100% open to all input and suggestions. I've done all the work on my Camaro, but an LS swap is a lot of new territory for me.

The intent of the project is to be a driver, not a show car, and it will be primarily a street car. I want to have as much of the old-school original feel of the car as possible, with modern power plant, suspension and drivetrain. The other goal is to come in right at, or under, 3000lbs, and get a much better weight balance front to rear.

Basic Overview:

I've changed the color to medium green (a factory color), and I'm keeping a vinyl top. Car is back at the body shop currently to get the engine bay painted and a few body work touch-ups, a frame pull to straighten out the front end a bit, wet sand, etc.

Engine/Trans: The engine will be an ls1 mated to at t56. Both of which came out of my 2001 Camaro SS. It has slightly milled trick flow 220 as cast heads (61cc) with a Vengeance Racing Vindicator cam.

Front Suspension: Reilly Motorsports Alterktion K Member. This K-Member opens up a ton of room in the engine bay, reduces weight, and converts the suspension from torsion bar to coil over sand re-engineers the suspension geometry. It also came with LS engine mounts which simplifies things.

Rear Suspension: Reilley Motorsports Street Lynx system. This converts the car from leaf spring suspension to triangulated 4-link w/ coil overs. Has yet to be installed, going to have someone else install it as I'm not a good welder.

Rear End: Ford 8.8, not sure on specifications yet, but that's what'll be in there.

I've also used American Powertrain for brake/clutch pedals, and transmission X-member, which they make for a t56 magnum to go into a dart.

Interior will stay as true to the original look as possible, but ultimately I'll replace the bench seat with something that holds me better.

Wheels - Went with the FR500 wheels - great wheels for the price. It'll be a 18x9 w/ a 275 up front (it fits… don't know how, but it does) and an 18x10 in the back with whatever size tire I can fit… probably a 285 or 295.

Other mods I'll be doing:
- Mini-Tub
- Sub Frame Connectors, and radiator core stiffener.

Anyone got any suggestions of headers that would fit? Or how to figure out what will be a good fit without buying and trying to return headers? My LS1 pacesetters point into the frame rail unfortunately and there's a passenger side clearance concern.
Attached Thumbnails LS Swap - 71 Dodge Dart Mopar A-Body-pre-paint-1.jpg   LS Swap - 71 Dodge Dart Mopar A-Body-pre-paint-2.jpg   LS Swap - 71 Dodge Dart Mopar A-Body-after-paint.jpg   LS Swap - 71 Dodge Dart Mopar A-Body-engine-bay-empty.jpg   LS Swap - 71 Dodge Dart Mopar A-Body-eng-fitment-1.jpg  

LS Swap - 71 Dodge Dart Mopar A-Body-eng-fitment-2.jpg   LS Swap - 71 Dodge Dart Mopar A-Body-eng-fitment-3.jpg   LS Swap - 71 Dodge Dart Mopar A-Body-trans-tunnel.jpg   LS Swap - 71 Dodge Dart Mopar A-Body-wheel-fitment.jpg  
Old 11-03-2017, 09:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Cool project! My grandparents had a dark green Dart back in the late 70's, looks real similar so must have been around the same year model. I'll be watching, so keep the updates coming.
Old 11-19-2017, 08:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey we have another one. I'm doing my 75 swinger right now. Make sure you get on FB and search for LS Swapped Mopars and join that page. We share all the lessons learned on there too.

Old 11-21-2017, 07:40 AM
On The Tree

Very nice looking car! Just joined the FB group - thanks for the suggestion.
Old 04-13-2019, 04:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MikeLSS1
Starting a build thread for my 1971 Dodge Dart. Car was a dark green 6 cylinder automatic w/ a vinyl top in its previous life. Have some pictures down below to show where I'm at on the project.

I'm opening this thread to show what I'm doing and, over time, hopefully get some unique input on how to move forward with challenges I run into. I'm 100% open to all input and suggestions. I've done all the work on my Camaro, but an LS swap is a lot of new territory for me.

The intent of the project is to be a driver, not a show car, and it will be primarily a street car. I want to have as much of the old-school original feel of the car as possible, with modern power plant, suspension and drivetrain. The other goal is to come in right at, or under, 3000lbs, and get a much better weight balance front to rear.

Basic Overview:

I've changed the color to medium green (a factory color), and I'm keeping a vinyl top. Car is back at the body shop currently to get the engine bay painted and a few body work touch-ups, a frame pull to straighten out the front end a bit, wet sand, etc.

Engine/Trans: The engine will be an ls1 mated to at t56. Both of which came out of my 2001 Camaro SS. It has slightly milled trick flow 220 as cast heads (61cc) with a Vengeance Racing Vindicator cam.

Front Suspension: Reilly Motorsports Alterktion K Member. This K-Member opens up a ton of room in the engine bay, reduces weight, and converts the suspension from torsion bar to coil over sand re-engineers the suspension geometry. It also came with LS engine mounts which simplifies things.

Rear Suspension: Reilley Motorsports Street Lynx system. This converts the car from leaf spring suspension to triangulated 4-link w/ coil overs. Has yet to be installed, going to have someone else install it as I'm not a good welder.

Rear End: Ford 8.8, not sure on specifications yet, but that's what'll be in there.

I've also used American Powertrain for brake/clutch pedals, and transmission X-member, which they make for a t56 magnum to go into a dart.

Interior will stay as true to the original look as possible, but ultimately I'll replace the bench seat with something that holds me better.

Wheels - Went with the FR500 wheels - great wheels for the price. It'll be a 18x9 w/ a 275 up front (it fits… don't know how, but it does) and an 18x10 in the back with whatever size tire I can fit… probably a 285 or 295.

Other mods I'll be doing:
- Mini-Tub
- Sub Frame Connectors, and radiator core stiffener.

Anyone got any suggestions of headers that would fit? Or how to figure out what will be a good fit without buying and trying to return headers? My LS1 pacesetters point into the frame rail unfortunately and there's a passenger side clearance concern.
Which header setup did you use? Love the project. That front suspension $5k?

Quick Reply: LS Swap - 71 Dodge Dart Mopar A-Body