Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 Mustang 5.3/80e swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 08:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Ymaha05

any pictures res of the shifter installed in the car?
Didnt realize i didnt post any pics of it installed in teh car.

i cut out the cupholder area from the console and mounted it there. i still need to put a plate over the stock shifter hole thus the towel.

in park
Name:  YRo3pdX.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  169.1 KB

in 1st
Name:  GshC4Th.jpg
Size:  177.7 KB
Old 01-09-2019, 09:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RobertD
Car looks a lot better with the bullits. I did think it would have been awesome if you kept the 6 banger wheels on it with some drag radials on the back though. Would have been the ultimate sleeper.
i think so too but god they are horrible looking. if it had the 5 spoke v6 wheels i would have kept them but god the trispokes are awful lol.

if i can get the last pieces done and tested and tuned before cleetus and cars in february here in houston im going to enter the burnout contest and use the v6 wheels sacrificially
Old 01-09-2019, 10:24 AM
TECH Regular

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by dan95gst
i think so too but god they are horrible looking. if it had the 5 spoke v6 wheels i would have kept them but god the trispokes are awful lol.

if i can get the last pieces done and tested and tuned before cleetus and cars in february here in houston im going to enter the burnout contest and use the v6 wheels sacrificially
I despise those V6 rims but how embarrassing would it be to someone losing to it thinking it was a stock sixxer. That look would be priceless haha. I'm digging the car looks great with those rims. What trans do you have and what shifter is that?
Old 01-09-2019, 10:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

80e and its the cheapest TCI they had on amazon.
Amazon Amazon

also a friend made me a custom sticker for the back window lol. didnt put it on till i drove it.

Name:  038qNW6.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  111.1 KB

just trying to have some fun with this thing
Old 01-09-2019, 10:43 AM
9 Second Club

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Lmfao to that decal
Old 01-09-2019, 09:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Didnt realize i didnt post any pics of it installed in teh car.

i cut out the cupholder area from the console and mounted it there. i still need to put a plate over the stock shifter hole thus the towel.
thanks, I have a 80e I’m putting g in my car and been trying to figure out the whole shifter thing but keeping it in the stock location. Would like to keep my cup holders lol I have plans on dailying my car
Old 01-10-2019, 05:11 AM
9 Second Club

thanks, I have a 80e I’m putting g in my car and been trying to figure out the whole shifter thing but keeping it in the stock location. Would like to keep my cup holders lol I have plans on dailying my car

i made this for my car with a th400. Comes out the stock shifter bezel location but partially covers one of the cup holders

Attachment 715679
Old 01-10-2019, 07:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thats pretty cool Robert!
Old 01-10-2019, 02:01 PM
TECH Regular

I kept my stock automatic shifter. My 80e had a portion of the stock shift cable on it so I cut the end on my mustang one and some off the stock chevy one and clamped them together. Was gonna weld them but it's been like that for over a year works great. Only problem is I can't downshift to 1st but it doesn't bother me at all. It's not a track car. I think it cost me 4 bucks for the clamp from harbor freight.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SwapStang
I kept my stock automatic shifter. My 80e had a portion of the stock shift cable on it so I cut the end on my mustang one and some off the stock chevy one and clamped them together. Was gonna weld them but it's been like that for over a year works great. Only problem is I can't downshift to 1st but it doesn't bother me at all. It's not a track car. I think it cost me 4 bucks for the clamp from harbor freight.

this was my plan originally because i had the little bit off the end of the 80e as well but the stock shifter was not in my car when i got it from my buddy. instead of dealing with a junkyard i just bought a proper one. it would have been nice to have the reverse lights and stuff already handled though.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:28 PM
TECH Regular

this was my plan originally because i had the little bit off the end of the 80e as well but the stock shifter was not in my car when i got it from my buddy. instead of dealing with a junkyard i just bought a proper one. it would have been nice to have the reverse lights and stuff already handled though.
I have no reverse lights or PN safety switch. That was all handles by the ford harness and ford switch. If you want them you have to wire direct or find where they are in the ford harness and tap in. I haven't gotten around to it yet haha. Soon as the spring comes I'll give it a whirl. At least the reverse lights anyways.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Oh bummer ok. I've got pn safety bypassing my starter button relay trigger wire before it goes to the relay so the button isn't energized unless in park or neutral. I'm not super worried about the reverse lights as I'm not street driving it but would be nice to have.

I'm already having hell with my brake lights too. Might end up direct wiring those too.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:21 AM
TECH Regular

Oh bummer ok. I've got pn safety bypassing my starter button relay trigger wire before it goes to the relay so the button isn't energized unless in park or neutral. I'm not super worried about the reverse lights as I'm not street driving it but would be nice to have.

I'm already having hell with my brake lights too. Might end up direct wiring those too.
If I couldn't figure out the ford wiring harness that was my plan too. Just use the 80e PN safety switch and wire it to a relay for my starter. Didn't seem that complicated just was more than I wanted to do at the time. If you're having problems with your brake lights that's probably all Ford related. You shouldn't have had to touch any of that for your swap, unless you did something to wire the TCC for the pcm. If you did that, then ignore anything I say haha. If you didn't do that then I'd start at the brake switch on the pedal, hopefully it's that simple. What are they doing exactly?
Old 01-11-2019, 03:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

ive been troubleshooting it and it makes no sense. fuse is good, wires to switch have 12v. i have two switches (car came with an auto and manual pedal assembly) and neither actuated it. so i cut the pigtail off one and jumped the wires to rule out bad switches. nothing.

they come on with the parking lights and flash with the hazards so i know the bulbs are good and those circuits have power, the brake circuit is the only part that doesnt work like its supposed to. very odd. need to spend more time on it when i have some. ive read people say the multifunction stalk causes issues with it too and there is another fuse to check for that part so thats my next step on the troubleshooting path.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RobertD

i made this for my car with a th400. Comes out the stock shifter bezel location but partially covers one of the cup holders

you have pictures of this Installed in the car?
Old 01-13-2019, 05:34 AM
9 Second Club

I can’t find any pictures of my interior complete with the shifter in it but the console is installed in this pic but without the shifter installed. The shifter bezel will fit though with how I made it. This put it in a more comfortable position for me since I have a rmvb and the shifter “shifts” back towards the driver

Attachment 715668
Old 01-13-2019, 04:42 PM
Teching In

Thanks for everyone’s input and my appolgize to the op for highjacking the tread for a little bit.
I found a guy on Instagram that put a th400 on his Mach.

Found a guy on Instagram that put a th400 behind his mod motor. Talked to him and he gave me the part numbers for the shifter and 4l80e bracket. Going to try and give this a shot. Thanks for everyones input and apologizes to the op for highjacking the thread. I will start a build thread when I get mine cranked and running
Old 01-13-2019, 06:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Old 01-14-2019, 08:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

well my original plan of reusing the 18in drag radials i had for my GTO on the mustang are bust. the g35 wheels my friend was gunna let me borrow have too narrow of a center bore so the wheel doesnt go on the diff. i started scheming.

also saw i forgot to secure my fuel lines back up from when i changed the filler neck gasket so i did that while i had the back up off the ground. other work around the house/garage distracted me for most of the weekend.

But then i remembered my friend has an extra pair of 17x8 black bullets from his 66 mustang that didnt fit the front and he had to get 7in wide with a smaller tire to run up there. Talked to him and another friend and am going to take my 17in drag radials off the vette wheels that have just been sitting on my shelf, for the next time i took the GTO to the track but its at least a year or more away from that happening, and mount them on the black bullitts and bingo, problem solved!

just didnt want to buy rims/tires for the NA passes since its not really going to be that fast to need a full blown slick.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Saturday my buddy mikey came by and helped me finish up the exhaust and weld in the o2 bung. He got a new tig welder and wanted to practice so it worked nicely!

Name:  FjtWJ4T.jpg
Size:  205.9 KB
Name:  vU0kC7h.jpg
Size:  171.8 KB

also got the drag radials i had on some Z06 wheels for my GTO switched over to some extra bullitts a friend had so now mustang has drag radials!
Name:  PdvoatN.jpg
Size:  202.6 KB

ive got the front end up on stands still while i get the trans cooler mocked up and installed, need to pick up some steel to build the brackets for it. Hoping to knock that out this week during the week and i have to do the wiring for the wideband and the cooling fan relay and itll be ready to rock.

Quick Reply: 99 Mustang 5.3/80e swap