Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 Mustang 5.3/80e swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 08:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

well i guess ill put some brain power into relocating it off the strut tower. i probably wont mess with it till after i get it running.

@texashavoc88 im in west houston near katy.

i got nothing done on the car this weekend other than sorting through the junk my buddy i bought it from left in it. realized the damn throttle cable is missing and not in the car. i saw him sunday and asked him about it and he said he would take a look in his garage and see if its there. if not ill go junkyarding or find one online. between the rain all weekend, hurting my knee (feels better now thankfully) and getting a cold or something i was really annoyed overall lol.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Only sort of related, I have a new tow rig for the Mustang now.
Traded my 08 LS460 lexus for a 2015 Sierra slt z71 20k miles. I freaking love it.Name:  oQPy2bv.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  146.6 KBName:  KMDmzT0.jpg
Size:  246.6 KBName:  89QyggS.jpg
Size:  228.5 KBName:  WPVBd6Q.jpg
Size:  141.1 KBI've had truck fever for years and always been scared of costly repairs on the lexus for parts. Plus I wanted something I didn't have to work on at all. Wife's tahoe doesn't need its arm twisted anymore to do truck **** and is purely a people hauler now.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:06 AM
9 Second Club

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Congrats on the truck. They do a pretty good job at pulling
Old 09-10-2018, 07:22 AM
TECH Regular

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

That is a really nice looking truck congrats.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RobertD
Congrats on the truck. They do a pretty good job at pulling
i saw your pic at lsfest right after i got home with it and showed my wife. "see all the mustang ls swap guys have these new trucks!" lol
Originally Posted by SwapStang
That is a really nice looking truck congrats.
thanks guys!
Old 09-12-2018, 01:45 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by dan95gst
i saw your pic at lsfest right after i got home with it and showed my wife. "see all the mustang ls swap guys have these new trucks!" lol
HA! I bet she loved that line. I haven't towed my car with my gas 2500 I have now but as far as the truck is concerned I'm really happy with it so far. Really comfortable and rides really nice. I don't think you'll be disappointed at all.

Old 10-15-2018, 09:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Finally got back to working on the mustang again.

used less than gentle measures to remove the AC box from behind the dash without removing the dash... lol. Im not running AC so its not a worry. Made a block off plate from my old jeeps license plate for the firewall and bored a hole to run the harness through. got the top side of the engine harness laid into place and connected up. realized the engine harness doesnt have a OPSU plug on it which is odd. Might have to run new wires for that and steal some pins from the stock truck harness to work with it. def need that before starting it.

made a plate to mount my cheap *** switch panel to in the AC controls hole and got that setup. Now to start running wires for power to everything the way im gunna run it. Getting real close to having a running car!
Old 10-16-2018, 06:36 AM
Launching!

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Got any pictures of what all you clearanced for the 4l80? I finally got mine, and holy cow this thing is massive compared to the t56
Old 10-16-2018, 08:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

I dont but i can tell you that you will have to remove completely or shorten the factory mustang trans mount pedestals, and do some good deal of hammering where the multipin trans connector is as well as where the cooler fittings are.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:32 PM
Launching!

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I dont but i can tell you that you will have to remove completely or shorten the factory mustang trans mount pedestals, and do some good deal of hammering where the multipin trans connector is as well as where the cooler fittings are.
I am ordering an AJE crossmember. Did you use straight AN fittings for the cooler lines? I saw some 90's that someone makes that make help with the line clearance.
Old 10-16-2018, 01:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

i did use straight ones because i already had them and i didnt want to wait for the 90degree ones. those would definitely make things easier.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

We were gone thurs-sat up in Dallas for a good friends wedding but sunday i had to get SOMETHING done on it. Weather was so nice though that the wife and i had to take a GTO out for some V8 therapy.

after all that i still got a little done. wrapped the crossover tube with heat wrap since its proximity to the converter i wanted that extra protection, tested the switch panel and mounting panel i whipped up to make sure it fit the dash still after cutting/painting/mounting the panel to it. then i made a couple trims on the center console and was able to get it back into the car. its not bolted down but it goes back into place now. depending on weather this week ill be plugging away on it in the evenings.

my birthday is friday and i still need to install my wifes birthday present into her tahoe so i might spend some time this weekend doing that and working on the mustang.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

you guys who have done it, are you using hte stock mustang radiator? if so what hoses did you get to work between the LS waterpump and the mustang rad?
Old 10-22-2018, 08:53 AM
9 Second Club

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

I used a fbody radiator/fans. Running truck accessories I used a truck upper hose and a flex hose on the bottom with a mr.gasket swivel thermostat housing/inlet. Had to do that to clear turbo stuff
Old 10-28-2018, 02:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

It lives!

pent Saturday with a bunch of my friends doing wiring, bolting the last few bits on like the crossover pipe and starter. We got ready to start it and the damn starter trigger wire screwed us. We were all exhausted and hungry so we went to dinner and called it a night.

This morning me and a buddy replaced that trigger wire and got it fired up for the first time. Still a lot work to do before driving it, but the damn thing starts.
Old 11-07-2018, 02:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Got the smoking figured out/fixed. Running a stock 1bar map sensor on the 2bar OS is dumb lol. It starts and idles smooth and easy now and minimal smoking i assume from burning off the soot left over.

Cooling system is up next and then a short drive to prove the trans works, then a cooler for the trans and better sorting the exhaust as its just pointed straight down now. Going to angle it out of the bay and into the fender at least as well as mount an O2 bung so i can pop a wideband in.

im real close to driving it!
Old 11-07-2018, 04:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Old 11-14-2018, 10:28 AM
TECH Regular

Got the smoking figured out/fixed. Running a stock 1bar map sensor on the 2bar OS is dumb lol. It starts and idles smooth and easy now and minimal smoking i assume from burning off the soot left over.

Cooling system is up next and then a short drive to prove the trans works, then a cooler for the trans and better sorting the exhaust as its just pointed straight down now. Going to angle it out of the bay and into the fender at least as well as mount an O2 bung so i can pop a wideband in.

im real close to driving it!
NICE! I love that start button and switch panel! I'm not sure if you got the cooling system all set up but I used a stock gt rad and fans with a truck water pump, I used the stock mustang rad hoses to come out of the radiator and then I used 1.5" couplers and put the stock truck hoses on the other side of that. Also used a swiveling lower water pump neck to change my angle. If you need more info I can give you more unless you're going another route. I even used the stock GT overflow. Looking good man I love seeing more New Edges come to life!
Old 11-14-2018, 11:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

ill take all the info you have to give. i have a swivel water neck and some reducers. I found that pegasus auto racing site has LOTS of stuff that will help. Im gunna spend some time this weekend sorting that as much as i can.

ive got a v6 rad and overflow i was going to try and use since i have it but i feel like the GT would probably be overall better. what did you do with your steam port?
Old 11-14-2018, 01:29 PM
TECH Regular

ill take all the info you have to give. i have a swivel water neck and some reducers. I found that pegasus auto racing site has LOTS of stuff that will help. Im gunna spend some time this weekend sorting that as much as i can.

ive got a v6 rad and overflow i was going to try and use since i have it but i feel like the GT would probably be overall better. what did you do with your steam port?
Ok I'll give you the verbal run down. I don't have any pics on my phone and won't be able to get you any until Saturday maybe. This is my plumbing on the stock GT stuff, the v6 is definitely different in at least the setup. I believe it's also a smaller rad so I'm not sure you'll get the cooling you want. I have all my stuff from my v6 but ended up using GT stuff from another car I had. If you're going to end up buying a rad im guessing the stock f-body stuff might be easier because it's plumbed on the right side at least and I've heard it drops right in. Or you could buy stock GT stuff. Your call.
I got 2 1.5"x1.5" couplers and 1 1.75" x 1.75" 90° coupler from jegs. On the top of the rad I exit the rad with the stock mustang hose then into the coupler. From there I used a stock upper truck hose on the the water pump. Now the truck hose is 1.25" so it took a bit to jam it on the bigger coupler but it'll go on. The lower rad hose I cut a section of the 1.75" hose to go from the rad to the 90° coupler and then out the other side. That section of the factory mustang hose has a section that hooks into the overflow which is why I plumbed it this way. This hose also necks down from 1.75" to 1.5" from factory. So after it does this I used the other 1.5" coupler and went from there with the truck hose back to the swivel water neck. Worked pretty well but not super pretty haha.
My vent line I ran into a tee at my heater line. I have my heat hooked up I noticed that you had a loop on yours. I've seen people cap them or just tap it into your water pump. Lot of options for that.

Quick Reply: 99 Mustang 5.3/80e swap