Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'79 T/A Firewall work with an LS swap?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 10:05 AM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default '79 T/A Firewall work with an LS swap?

I'm fixing to weld up some panels on the firewall to smooth things out a bit and going to use Vintage air so I have a question.

What areas need to be left open for access of A/C, heater hoses etc?
Attached Thumbnails '79 T/A Firewall work with an LS swap?-img_2203.jpg  
Old 11-14-2017, 06:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

If you get the "Sure Fit" one, they may use some of the factory openings, but most people fill them all in then make their own holes for the hoses, less places for hot air to enter the car that way.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Firewall

What I've done in the past is to locate the unit under the dash then figure where the hoses can be located as far to the pass. side as possible and as high as needed to insure they are out of foot area. Separate the under dash unit and the firewall pass thru as much as possible because it will be VERY tight bending the hoses. Two different methods of firewall pass thru. One is rubber grommets and the other is billet fixtures. I like the grommets better because there are less connections to leak but the billet aluminum ones look better. As a side note you may want to invest in an A/C hose crimping kit. Not expensive and you can recover some of the cost doing hoses for others. I also like your efforts to smooth the firewall. Makes for a class act on a swap. One last thing, I like to use the billet firewall wire pass thru. they look good, easy to add wires later and add to the clean look.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:51 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is what I did. Lower passenger side...PO covered original HVAC holes. It is all VA, coolant hoses run up under fender.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:47 AM
On The Tree

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I haven't put in a Vintage Air unit yet, but once the car is running I will. One of the car magazines recently showed an idea I plan to use. They mounted the VA unit under the dash, and ran the AC and heater lines through the passenger kick panel, then forward inside the fender to the front of the car. No holes in the firewall, and the lines were almost completely concealed.

Quick Reply: '79 T/A Firewall work with an LS swap?