Betsy, The '57 210 Belair Wagon LS376/480 - Page 3 - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Notices
Conversions & Hybrids LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Betsy, The '57 210 Belair Wagon LS376/480

Old 04-23-2018, 07:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

The Camaro is gone, back to the '57. With the motor and trans in place, I located the shifter, installed a gear indicator, installed the new steering column, test fit the headers on both sides, mocked up and adjusted the exhaust, installed the AC bracket and compressor, located the fuel pressure regulator, routed some AC lines to get a feel for where things would land, installed some fittings to trace lines for the hydroboost and generally installed some things. Also, I removed the 1" lowering blocks in the back. I can barely tell the difference, but I think this is the right rear ride height given the wheels and intended purpose.

Things left to take care of before the motor comes back out include installing some 3"x2.5" reducers for the header connections, welding up the rear exhaust hangers and route the trans cooler lines. Then, one more engine/trans removal/reinstall and wire the whole thing.

Attached Thumbnails Betsy, The '57 210 Belair Wagon LS376/480-20180413_180624c.jpg   Betsy, The '57 210 Belair Wagon LS376/480-20180419_142040c.jpg   Betsy, The '57 210 Belair Wagon LS376/480-20180421_113847c.jpg   Betsy, The '57 210 Belair Wagon LS376/480-20180421_164753c.jpg   Betsy, The '57 210 Belair Wagon LS376/480-20180422_170759c.jpg  

Betsy, The '57 210 Belair Wagon LS376/480-20180422_171811c.jpg   Betsy, The '57 210 Belair Wagon LS376/480-20180422_173101c.jpg   Betsy, The '57 210 Belair Wagon LS376/480-20180422_173133c.jpg  
Old 04-23-2018, 11:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

This is turning out awesome!!! Very cool ride. We need a idle/rev clip once its up and running.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:19 PM
On The Tree

Sweet! And a somewhat local build too...
Old 04-23-2018, 07:54 PM
TECH Resident

Man this thing is lookin' good!!
Old 04-25-2018, 09:52 AM
Teching In

Im sure you went over this earlier in the thread but where did you get the hydroboost setup from? is it all wildwood?
thanks
Old 04-25-2018, 01:01 PM
11 Second Club

Valve covers look sweet, I still need to order a set.
Old 04-30-2018, 07:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the kind words, everyone!

Originally Posted by badassstepsides View Post
Im sure you went over this earlier in the thread but where did you get the hydroboost setup from? is it all wildwood?
thanks
Performance Online (POL) puts it together, it's a Wilwood cylinder, proportioning valve and distribution block, GM hydroboost pump as far as I can tell. Found them on eBay, and truthfully, they may not be the only ones who have this arrangement.

No pics, a lot of just grunt work this past week. I had mocked up hydroboost lines and took dimensions down to a local shop. They gave me a length of line and some fittings, so I took those back to the shop Saturday and cut them to length. I mocked up the lines and oriented the fittings, I'll take them back to the shop Tuesday to crimp the fittings.

The exhaust doesn't just slip in, but it'll fit. We left it off for now since it'll be tough to keep in there once the headers are out for motor removal (1 more time). Meanwhile, we put bungs in the collectors for O2 sensors and one in the driver's intermediate pipe for a wideband. Also, made a trans cooler line and ran out of AN... the other cooler line will run the same path, so I consider that done.

The lift will be occupied for a few days/weeks with my brother in law's orange beetle, so next up is wire-wheeling, cleaning, masking, painting, fat-matting and wiring the inside. So, not a lot of LS-related stuff. I may cut back on the updates until it gets past the grunt work.
Old 05-04-2018, 08:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Quick note, the included coil brackets on Holley's valve covers don't accommodate LS3 coils. Not sure what coils they do accommodate, Holley's tech didn't know and didn't seem to know how to find out.

I drew this up, will have a local machine shop put it together to try. If it works, I'll powder coat and use them. Then, I may have to make several more and powder them to sell them to people in my position!
Old 05-06-2018, 01:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

I just cut the middle section out of the Holley bracket and used the two leftover ears.

Andrew
Old 05-06-2018, 04:45 PM
TECH Resident

I know you have probably tried this, but did you try to flip it over? It looks like the contour of the coil at the bottom matches the contour of the bracket at the top....

T,
Old 05-07-2018, 07:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, I tried playing around with that bracket, doesn't fit an LS3 coil as is. Really not a problem, I'm back and forth to the machine shop fairly frequently for blasting prior to powder coating, and 1/4" plate is always laying around. Andrew, guess I never thought about just cutting out the middle section, but you're right that should work fine as the coil itself will act as a brace. I may use that on one of the two spots, but I'd still need a second. So, they're making a couple.

Meanwhile, another no-progress weekend. However, the work that was done is worth mentioning... I was commissioned to powder a set of side steps for a Jeep. This is important because it's our first chance to use the large oven, which will later be used to do ALL of the remaining trim and bumpers on the 57. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to finish, two issues. First, no one in our group understands the controller! I didn't wire it, busy with the 57. There isn't a clear set point parameter in the controllers several parameters, and the oven appeared to control at 240DGF. That's definitely not hot enough, that only accomplishes a pre-cure. Second issue is that the elements themselves don't get over 320DGF. Also an issue, need to be above 400DGF to accomplish the 400DGF control temp for cure. The second issue is wiring, the elements were wired 120V to utilize all 8 without exceeding 30A draw on 240V. The solution there is just to pull one element off each pair to get 4 elements at 240V. The first issue, one of us needs to read the directions LOL!

Anyway, one specifically 57 item, I had a spacer made to space out the tensioner pulley. I wanted to keep my Katech tensioner on the ICT billet AC bracket with Vette accessories, which meant the pulley needed to be spaced out 16mm. Spacer drafted, then machined and installed, works like a charm! Also, received the Holley 302-1 pan and powder coated it "chrome" (bright silver).

Lots of powder coating for customers, someday I'll get to work on the 57 again. Consider this a commercial break...

Old 05-11-2018, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

I got wife approval to go powder coat after work Wednesday, so I took the opportunity to do a couple things. All small, but progress nonetheless. I removed the lines and fittings from the brake master cylinder to the front brakes to install a pair of braided 3AN lines. I love working with AN, and the flexible nature makes for easy install while accommodating the frame/body interface.

Also, more of an update, I ordered a pair of Scat Classic buckets for the front. At face value, that's nothing spectacular. However, I'm sending them 6 yards of a plaid upholstery the wife selected to have them replace the center of the seats. From the beginning, I told her she could pick the interior for her accommodation of the build. Furthermore, she has been adamant about maintaining a bench seat up front. Those cost ridiculous amounts of money if you don't want a Silverado bench seat, so she accommodated with a set of buckets up front. Scat will be doing the inserts on the black vinyl buckets, as well as a new rear seat cover to match. And we ordered 3 extra yards to accommodate the door panels and center console. I've never been this excited to pick out fabric!

Also, powder coated some AC lines and a PS cap... cap.

Old 05-12-2018, 11:13 AM
TECH Addict

Like so? http://procarbyscat.com/seats/Classic-Lowback

Or did you get the ones with headrests? What color is the vinyl on the seats going to be? Definitely dig the plaid, that should look great!
Old 05-14-2018, 07:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AAIIIC View Post
Like so? http://procarbyscat.com/seats/Classic-Lowback

Or did you get the ones with headrests? What color is the vinyl on the seats going to be? Definitely dig the plaid, that should look great!
We chose the Classic with headrests in black vinyl. If I could have headrests added to the stock back seat, I probably would have considered it. It's probably silly to say when I'll be using lap belts, but headrests are something I just don't want to compromise on from a safety standpoint. I know, no airbags, 1950's frame structure, lap belts, and I'm worried about headrests... eh, it doesn't all have to make sense. I like the plaid as well, thanks!

Meanwhile, I went to the shop to see if the oven would finally get to 400DGF. Yep, barely, and over a long time... but it gets to 400DGF, so we can call it functional for now! While the oven heated up and cured a couple pieces, I played with the brakes. I had decided to eliminate the line lock, so I took it out and redid the front brake lines. The two flexible 15" lines worked out to be a great option. I hate to admit it, but I didn't measure those lengths and they worked out perfectly! Turns out, the rear MC port was a very convenient distance to the frame retainer clip, allowing for a nice bend and hard retention of the fittings. On the passenger side, I reworked the line across the engine bay to get to the stock tab. I feel much better about this arrangement, I'd consider the brakes 95% there... just replace the flexible line at the back and it's time to fill with fluid.

Also measured a serpentine belt, took dimensions of the stock rear seat for Scat and touched a few more small things around the car. Going out of town this coming weekend, will be back at it Memorial Day weekend.
Old 05-14-2018, 05:57 PM
TECH Regular

Did you run the braided lines from the calipers all the way to the master?
Old 05-15-2018, 06:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by showdog75 View Post
Did you run the braided lines from the calipers all the way to the master?
No, each brake line is 15" of braided to a section of 3/16" NiCu tubing to the caliper hose. On the Driver's side, it could have been just the hose to the other hose, but fittings made me need to add a small section of tubing.

Meanwhile, back and forth with Scat. Didn't realize there were so many back seat options, so they're going to skip the backseat cover and I'll have someone locally do it. Should still have 4+ yards of plaid material to use between back seat covers, door panels and the center console. And not that I place a lot of stock in Jalopnik "reporting", but I'll just leave this here...

https://jalopnik.com/we-need-more-pl...ars-1825967880
Old 05-15-2018, 10:42 AM
TECH Regular

Where can i find the fitting and clips like you have pictured? I'm going -3 an braided to 3/16" copper nickel like you've got.
Old 05-15-2018, 04:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Where can i find the fitting and clips like you have pictured? I'm going -3 an braided to 3/16" copper nickel like you've got.
Earl's make all kinds of OEM style adapters to AN-3 for brakes. The clips are regular OEM retention clips.

Andrew
Old 05-15-2018, 06:13 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO View Post
Earl's make all kinds of OEM style adapters to AN-3 for brakes. The clips are regular OEM retention clips.

Andrew
What I'm looking for Andrew is 3an to 3an that I can use the retainer clip on. Is there such a animal?
Old 05-15-2018, 06:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

What I'm looking for Andrew is 3an to 3an that I can use the retainer clip on. Is there such a animal?
I have never seen that. But you can probably take a AN-3 to AN-3 union and make it work.

Andrew

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Betsy, The '57 210 Belair Wagon LS376/480

About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: