Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Betsy, The '57 210 Belair Wagon LS376/480

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 07:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the headlights with the halogens, I've read that MAD enterprises is one way to go, they make a relay kit, that in summary gets you full juice to your headlights, and makes for a much brighter headlights.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by 461rat
For the headlights with the halogens, I've read that MAD enterprises is one way to go, they make a relay kit, that in summary gets you full juice to your headlights, and makes for a much brighter headlights.
Actually, the headlights are pretty bright as is with a new set of Sylvania sealed beams. I just wanted LED, but everyone makes them so deep, the bucket is destroyed in the process of trimming it enough to fit. The last straw is the lip that gets sandwiched between the trim ring and the bucket. In every aftermarket headlight I saw (only tried 2), they were too thick and wouldn't allow the trim ring to clip in. Anyway, it's functional for now.

Yesterday, I recovered the top of the back seat and installed most of the powder coated stainless trim on the backs of the seats. I discovered I forgot to install a bracket for the lower seat, it'll require I take some staples out and pull back the upholstery a little. Oh well, otherwise pretty seamless install (pun intended).

The PCM is in my truck to give the car another shot this afternoon after work. Fingers crossed!
Old 10-03-2018, 08:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

The starter sounds much better with a .060 modified small block shim. Who would have thought, never heard of needing a shim on an ls starter, but there you go.

Unfortunately that's the only thing that sounded good, still no start. Didn't have my computer with me so I didn't scan it, and it's cruisin the coast so it won't likely be this week that I put time on it. I did go ahead and install the top portion of the rear seat. The bottom portion has two brackets screwed to the board, which unfortunately ended up about a half inch too wide. That means modifying the brackets somehow, as there is no adjustment in the bracket location on the wood seat board. I left it in there anyway to get some pics, will update monday.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

CTC was nice, but I thought about the 57 for a good portion of it. I did see plenty of nice examples of 57s to draw from. One morning, I was thinking about the rocker cover that is apparently accommodated with those clips on mine. Never seen what that's supposed to be, so I watched for it. Don't like the look, so I'll just plan to have the clips shaved.

I also saw a nice black 57 with no hood rockets. Really clean, so I looked it up. VFN offers a hood with no rockets, so I reached out to VFN on here to see if that is covered in their group buy.

Here's a picture of the seats and cards all in, handles not replaced yet.

Old 10-15-2018, 07:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

I spent most of the weekend tying up loose ends and cleaning out the shop, making flat surfaces (you're welcome, locospl). The list is getting shorter, but the biggest item is getting it to start and drive. I logged a start Saturday and noticed something peculiar, TPS was in the 20%s when no throttle commanded, and WOT was 80+%, not 100%. As promised, I threw a 4GA wire from the battery to the block and, get this, got some fire! I definitely smell hydrocarbons in the exhaust, but still no start.

Somewhere I had read that an incorrect throttle pedal would be a problem. Not sure what the conditions are, but I believe it was something to do with the pedal matching the harness? Or was it the PCM? The pedal matches the harness, verified with PSI Conversions. The throttle is an 08+ LS3 Vette pedal. The tune is an 08 Express 3500, presumably for the 6.0L/4L80e combo. Is that the same pedal? Guys, I need help on this one!

Meanwhile, a couple more pics, trim going on and handles swapped.

Old 10-15-2018, 08:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm learning the MAF and pedal have to match the PCM. Van pedal and MAF in my cart on Rockauto, but can anyone confirm this before I pull the trigger? If I have a 2008 3500 Express Van calibration, will a 2008 Van pedal and MAF be necessary?
Old 10-15-2018, 08:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,388 Likes on 877 Posts

Originally Posted by themealonwheels
I'm learning the MAF and pedal have to match the PCM. Van pedal and MAF in my cart on Rockauto, but can anyone confirm this before I pull the trigger? If I have a 2008 3500 Express Van calibration, will a 2008 Van pedal and MAF be necessary?
I can't answer this questions, but the van pedal definitely has a different connector than the C6 Corvette pedal. I would track down the pin out diagrams for both and make sure they are the same. It is possible that the pins are moved around.

Andrew
Old 10-15-2018, 09:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
I can't answer this questions, but the van pedal definitely has a different connector than the C6 Corvette pedal. I would track down the pin out diagrams for both and make sure they are the same. It is possible that the pins are moved around.

Andrew
Yeah, I see the connector difference in the van pedal. I may be getting impatient, I went ahead and ordered the van pedal and connector. At worst, I'll return it. In the meantime, PSI has been great at working through the options with me! I'm going to try re-pinning the MAF first, they said that can cause the pedal to operate incorrectly. Thanks for the help, PSI!

I forgot to add the log, for anyone with HPT who's curious.
Attached Files
Old 10-15-2018, 10:15 AM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

You can run a corvette pedal with a van calibration/os the pedal just gets pinned differently. Same with the maf, you can run ls3 card style or a the truck style maf, they are pinned differently and the maf calibration in the tune has to be set for which ever maf you run. GOing off memory its 3 wires on the pedal and 3 wires on the maf that get moved if you change them over.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LSX Power Tuning
You can run a corvette pedal with a van calibration/os the pedal just gets pinned differently. Same with the maf, you can run ls3 card style or a the truck style maf, they are pinned differently and the maf calibration in the tune has to be set for which ever maf you run. GOing off memory its 3 wires on the pedal and 3 wires on the maf that get moved if you change them over.
That's just what I needed, thanks! Luckily, this info came in time for me to cancel my Rockauto order for a Van pedal. Anyone know which 3 pins get swapped to use a Corvette pedal in place of a Van pedal? I have a pinout on the MAF and will try that as well. All of this will have to wait for Saturday, as I'm back to work and have evening obligations.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Nothing really to update, but I took some pictures of the car as it stands now for my own sanity... feels like I spend hours on it and get nothing done, but the list is really short now. Here's what I have on the list:

Modify lower rear seat brackets and install the lower seat (2 bolts, 8 screws)
Glue window sweeps in window garnishes and door panels
Tint the rear windows and hatch glass
Add a switch for the courtesy light override
Alarm?
Add remaining fluids (car has 10Q trans fluid, 12Q coolant, 1.5Q PS fluid, 10Gal fuel)
Check MAF wiring, Throttle wiring, adjust MAF calibration
Plastidip the car Aluminum (dip acquired)
Cover remaining holes in firewall (grommets and plugs)

Edit: for my future reference, the Serpentine belt is Gates K061015HD, the DS is 49 7/8" yoke to yoke, the front hub bore is 71.4", and the accelerator pedal used is 25835421 (Corvette). Now I can record that in my receipts folder and get it off my phone!

Here are some pictures of the car as it comes together.

Last edited by themealonwheels; 10-23-2018 at 09:01 AM.
Old 10-31-2018, 04:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Did you see this? I was afraid you sold your car LOL

https://www.holley.com then look under news and events then blog
Old 11-02-2018, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, someone mentioned that car earlier in the thread.

No, still doesn't run. I wanted to license the car last weekend to mess with the MAF and pedal (hopefully what's holding it back now). The weather was perfect for paint, so I ended up dipping my Hombre instead. Paint season is *at best* 4 weeks in South MS (humidity is a limiting factor), so it wasn't really up to me. The truck is dipped though, so this weekend, I'll play with the 57. I ordered a set of Eddie Motorsports billet hood hinges to go with the VFN smoothie hood on order. Still working on it, will be doing some powder coating this evening for some miscellaneous 57 parts.

I should say, Holley should pay me to show pictures of my car! Holley valve covers, Holley pan, Hooker headers, etc...
Old 11-26-2018, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

As promised, I've taken a break from the '57. I swapped calipers on my SS for something a little more unique, installed headers and mid-pipes with high flow cats and generally hung out with the family.

The 57 has become quite discouraging. I've licensed the car and altered the MAF scalar, but no change, still doesn't fire. I did notice two pins in the MAF swapped, I believe that's common for swaps. I swapped those two pins, no change. I logged some more start attempts, I'll post them up for some input later this week. I'm at a loss, this is over my pay grade and I'm quickly losing interest.
Old 11-27-2018, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 306 Likes on 206 Posts

The 57 has become quite discouraging. I'm at a loss, this is over my pay grade and I'm quickly losing interest.

Take a little break, but don't weaken....your almost there!
Old 11-27-2018, 01:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by CattleAc
Your doing a nice job. I agree, take some time to recharge then get back at when your rested.
Old 11-29-2018, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CattleAc
Originally Posted by Motown 454
Your doing a nice job. I agree, take some time to recharge then get back at when your rested.
Thanks, gents. The holidays will kind of force me to step away from it, as I lead company Christmas parties for the kids Dec 1 and 15th. Add to that the project of powder coating tins for my dad and holiday functions with the family, I should be able to preoccupy myself.

That said, I'm considering a serious change: Holley Terminator system. With Holley Days, it's $2,886 for the 550-613, which accommodates 58X reluctor, 4L80e, DBW, sequential (not batch, FAST) ignition/injection, etc. I'm estimating I may be able to recoup $800-$900 from my PSI harness, GM PCM/TCM, LS3 MAF, etc. If I had a buyer lined up, I'd do it.

The kicker is that locospl is in town right now, and he's the best resource we have at the shop for troubleshooting this stuff. It'd be really nice to work on it when he's in town, but motivation is low. I've asked for his opinion on the prospect of dumping a net $2k in to eliminate the hodge-podge and have a system designed to bring it all together.
Old 11-29-2018, 11:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,388 Likes on 877 Posts

The Dominator is very capable, but just as with any system, requires a good tuner, especially to achieve excellent street manners. I use it on my Cougar.

Andrew
Old 11-29-2018, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
The Dominator is very capable, but just as with any system, requires a good tuner, especially to achieve excellent street manners. I use it on my Cougar.

Andrew
In reviewing ls1tech for relevant threads, I keep seeing dominator when I enter terminator. Also, I see that the dominator is as good as the tuner. I was under the impression the terminator is a self tuning system. Am I missing something, or are these different systems like I was led to believe?
Old 11-29-2018, 04:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Sent you a PM. Think I can shed some insight into your problem. Your OS and TB are mismatched for one, which is why you are getting weird TPS readings.....

T,

Quick Reply: Betsy, The '57 210 Belair Wagon LS376/480