Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing LS7 crate with LS3 crate, what is involved?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 06:41 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question Replacing LS7 crate with LS3 crate, what is involved?

I currently have an LS7 crate with the GMPP engine controller kit 19166567 in my AC Cobra kit car. I’m now planning to sell the car but I would like to keep the LS7. To be able to get a decent price for the car I was thinking about installing an LS3 crate instead and sell it fully running.

As far as I know the physical dimensions are the same except for the oil pan so everything else should fit and hook up properly.

The question is the engine controller kit, 19166567 is an older version and has now been succeeded with a newer version, 19354334. I don’t know what the difference is but my plan was to buy the current LS3 kit, 19354328, and just swap the ECU’s and then be able to use the rest of the parts for my next LS7 project. Would that work?

Thanks
Old 01-03-2018, 06:45 AM
Staging Lane

I realize, after reading my own post, that the question could be a much simpler one instead:

Are all GMPP LS gen 4 engine controller kits the same except for the ECU programming?

Old 01-03-2018, 07:42 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your ECM and wiring should be the same for both engines. It just needs to be tuned. The ls3 also had the option of the dry sump oil pan setup in the Grand Sport corvettes. It would pretty much drop right in other than the different intake manifold.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:16 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks, that's what I was thinking and hoping. Since I will need a new kit for my next project anyway I think I'll do as I mentioned and just buy a new one for the LS3 and swap ECM's

Yeah, I know about the dry sump LS3 in the G/S C6, my father in law have one of those, maybe I should visit his garage some night

I have plenty of space except for ground clearance, as it is now the oil filter is the lowest point under the car even if it's just barely. The dry sump LS3 seem a bit tricky to find though but I think a wet sump using the regular Corvette oil pan would work as well

Quick Reply: Replacing LS7 crate with LS3 crate, what is involved?