Data Bus Conversion HS CAN >J-1850VPW - Page 4 - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Notices
Conversions & Hybrids LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Data Bus Conversion HS CAN >J-1850VPW

Old 03-04-2018, 07:32 AM
On The Tree

Every time I go to the Junkyard, most of the 1st gen Libertys are missing a head or 2. lol...But when they were new, those 3.7's in such a small truck were good at getting up the icy hill (30ish degree incline) into the detail bay. lol

Jay
Old 03-19-2018, 01:12 AM
Teching In

I was working on trying to re-purpose or remap a 2010 Camaro center 4 gauge cluster (oil pressure, oil temp, volts, and trans temp) into my 68 Camaro. My plan was to run (oil pressure, water temp, fuel level and volts like factory center console car) I don't want to input from the canbus I want to output to it like like factory by converting resistance or 0-5 volts etc. from a temp sensor, a oil pressure sender, tank fuel 0-90 ohm sender. So basically I am looking for 4 inputs they way you did fuel and a canbus output to the pack of gauges. Then I would just have a set of face plates made to cover the factory units and have a new console with working gauges of my choosing. These center console gauges are relatively plentiful and could then be re-purposed for any configuration with the correct scaling and sending units. I have done some searching, but didn't find anyone who sniffed out the factory values to run these gauges.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:22 AM
Teching In

These guys can make the faces for you. https://www.blackcatcustom.com/ Paid about $150 since I had to pay for them making the setup and it did include the overlays. Now that it has been made it the cost should only be around $50-60 for the overlays alone. I made my own setup using the motors from a 95 Camaro cluster and a 97 Tahoe cluster. I had them calibrate the overlays to the Camaro scale but if I had to do it again I would calibrate it to the Tahoe scale. The motors on the Tahoe are self contained and the you can use the senders from the Tahoe connected directly to the back of the gauge. The fuel sender for the Tahoe is in the 0-90 ohm range so that will work as well.
Attached Thumbnails Data Bus Conversion HS CAN >J-1850VPW-img_5130.jpg   Data Bus Conversion HS CAN >J-1850VPW-img_5111.jpg   Data Bus Conversion HS CAN >J-1850VPW-img_5109.jpg  
Old 05-17-2018, 01:48 AM
On The Tree

It's been a while since I posted anything here so I figured it was time for an update. Here is my "Proof of Concept" for converting HS Can data to much......MUCH slower formats with out flooding the data bus.

HS Can is 500 Kbps
J1850VPW is 10.4 Kbps
That's a HUGE difference in speed and the amount of data being processed. It's taken some time and I only have a couple of gauges working......WAIT...WHAT????

Old 05-17-2018, 08:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Pete,

What is this converter actually gonna be, a little box between CAN lines? You're ideas and work are giving me hope of transplanting a late 6.4L Hemi into my '98 Dakota. The DAK's bus is CCD, the Hemi is much faster. It would be even more awesome awesome to translate the CAN line from an aftermarket PCM (Holley) into something that would drive the rest of the vehicle's bus!
Old 05-18-2018, 11:54 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by S10xGN View Post
Pete,

What is this converter actually gonna be, a little box between CAN lines? You're ideas and work are giving me hope of transplanting a late 6.4L Hemi into my '98 Dakota. The DAK's bus is CCD, the Hemi is much faster. It would be even more awesome awesome to translate the CAN line from an aftermarket PCM (Holley) into something that would drive the rest of the vehicle's bus!
This is where time and access to things become the limiting factor. What your suggesting is absolutely... 100% possible... however the likely hood it will ever happen is almost non existent unless you do it your self and unless you have an enormous amount of time and are very good with electronics and can learn how to program.... and also are able to reverse engineer a data bus with no documentations then there is very little hope you could do it your self.

I have been considering the idea of a job/career change over the last several months to pursue things similar to what I have been doing in this thread because the possibility's for this type of technology have never been realized. Some of my designs that are unpublished are likely going to become necessary in the coming years with the changes in vehicles/computers to make even basic modification possible on new vehicles. However this is a catch 22.... the only way I will ever have the time to perfect my designs and create new one's is to make a career out of this.....but the only reason I have gotten as far along with my work as I have is because I've been able to sink an enormous amount of money into what I'm doing because I have a job that pays well and a wife who understands the potential impact of what I'm working on.

It's hard to gauge potential demand for a technology that doesn't exist.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would look at the most common swaps that have difficulties with factory gauges like you alluded to with the Jeep swaps. And another one would be the 94-04 Mustang's swapping LS motors. Most end up running their stock ecu along side the LS ECU to try and keep the factory gauges. Would certainly eliminate lots of confusion and wiring. Keep up the great work. Lots of potential here.
Old 05-22-2018, 02:12 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ryeguy2006a View Post
I would look at the most common swaps that have difficulties with factory gauges like you alluded to with the Jeep swaps. And another one would be the 94-04 Mustang's swapping LS motors. Most end up running their stock ecu along side the LS ECU to try and keep the factory gauges. Would certainly eliminate lots of confusion and wiring. Keep up the great work. Lots of potential here.
The first version of this I'm setting up is for 4th and possibly 5th gen engine swaps into Non-CAN Gm vehicles. For trucks it would be 96-07 and Car's would be something like 96-04 or around that time frame.

I now have analog Speedo and Tach signals working, I'm waiting on a batch of circuit boards so I can test this in a running vehicle to make sure the gauges are smooth and do not lag but I'm pretty confidant they will work. I'm incorporating J-1850 VPW and Analog gauge support for Speed, tach, Temp and Oil pressure simultaneously to reduce the number of possible variations. I'm also working on incorporating some type of DIPSWITCH setting to switch between 2,4,6 and 8 cylinder tach settings. The trucks will benefit from this the most, the 96-98 trucks read differently then the 99+ trucks. Sure this can be done in the tune with the tach pulse setting....or I can do it with a simple equation using 2 input pins just as easy.

I have a Jeep in my garage that's about to get a heart transplant so I can start working on getting something going for 3rd,4th and 5th gen LS pcm's to talk to the Jeeps data bus.