Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

74' Squarebody Gen V L83 - 6l80 Swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 09:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 74' Squarebody Gen V L83 - 6l80 Swap

I got a good deal on a 2016 l83 with 6l80 transmission from a Sierra and will be swapping it into my 74' 2wd square. I am just trying to gather up as much info in one place as I can as far as what mounts, trans cross member, headers etc.. that you used to keep everything in stock position as possible. Also tips in doing the harness yourself it someone that can strip it fairly inexpensive, floor shifters etc..

Any information or good links to read up on would be greatly appreciated.

My goal at this point is to leave it stock with exception if headers and a good tune. Also can the truck trans be set up to use touch shift or is it even worth doing.
Old 01-13-2018, 03:33 PM
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

There will need to be some fabrication to install the drivetrain. Luckily a square body has ton of room and is one of the easiest to swap. Dirty Dingo has engine mounts. I would start there. The trans cross member is super easy. Use a flat piece of metal and mount it to that. The stock exhaust manifolds will work great. 2014 2wd truck headers should work as well. For a power steering mount a few companies out there offer offerings. ICT billet and dirty dingo. Also lswrangler.com has a add power steering pump kit which is what I used. lswrangler.com offers a tap shift module as well and stock harness modification services.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:01 PM
Teching In

Thanks for all the info. I will have to contact them once we get the actual engine in hand to get them to possibly rework the harness and flash ecm etc...
Old 01-13-2018, 08:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hooker/Holley has a lot of LS components, including C10 swap.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...m-preview.html
Old 01-13-2018, 08:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Originally Posted by Senna
Hooker/Holley has a lot of LS components, including C10 swap.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...m-preview.html
^^^^THIS. And it is now being proven that Holley's is a very good, coordinated system of swap components. ALMOST a no-brainer...
Old 01-30-2023, 06:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by vannatta20
There will need to be some fabrication to install the drivetrain. Luckily a square body has ton of room and is one of the easiest to swap. Dirty Dingo has engine mounts. I would start there. The trans cross member is super easy. Use a flat piece of metal and mount it to that. The stock exhaust manifolds will work great. 2014 2wd truck headers should work as well. For a power steering mount a few companies out there offer offerings. ICT billet and dirty dingo. Also lswrangler.com has a add power steering pump kit which is what I used. lswrangler.com offers a tap shift module as well and stock harness modification services.
You seem to be very knowledgeable on these Im doing a L83 swap to a 82 K1500 I did adjustable mounts and to get the trans lined up Turbo 400 the motor had to be as far back as I could now im having issues mounting the power steering any thoughts on this
Old 01-31-2023, 09:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhaag
You seem to be very knowledgeable on these Im doing a L83 swap to a 82 K1500 I did adjustable mounts and to get the trans lined up Turbo 400 the motor had to be as far back as I could now im having issues mounting the power steering any thoughts on this
Mitch doesn't get on here much anymore. His website has a front drive kit on it though. Swap Time Products (swaptimeusa.com) Or you can do what I'm doing and get a power steering bracket for an L8T engine and run an LS1 F body pump on it.
The following users liked this post:
Rhaag (02-08-2023)
Old 01-31-2023, 09:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Pic of my set up. Need correct belt and another idler, but gives you an idea. Also, that PS pump isn't the one I'm using, it was just one I had lying around i put on it to see what it was going to look like.

Quick Reply: 74' Squarebody Gen V L83 - 6l80 Swap