Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jarhead's 1965 F85 with LS3 swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 04:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A look from the driver's side of the frame strings, PG and it's relation to the various string heights. The lowest point is the front crossmember and the frame rail bottoms are just below the PG stock pan height. I am trying to end up with as smooth a bottom as possible for the car and maximum ground clearance. It should start looking similar to that Chevelle pro touring frame depicted above pretty soon.
Jarhead
Old 11-29-2018, 06:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Another look at the underside showing the PG and motor position which should be pretty close. Hopefully today I will get a T400 mocked up also. I just could not find an empty 400 case yesterday. Also I am going to make some copies of the Rocky Topper dash panel so let me know if you want a copy. Next week we will start back on the frame work, building the new frame members, transmission and body mounts and the PWTBs and exhaust system.
Jarhead
Old 12-05-2018, 05:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

A couple of pictures taken today. The Hooker swap manifolds fit perfectly. The air cleaner is on there to simulate a later 60's factory ram air setup. This cleaner has the inlet horns spaced too close together and I will get one more factory looking. We have a few LS exhaust manifolds laying around and I will try some of those too just to see how they fit. Not much is getting done on the Cutlass right now as the shop guys are finishing up some other jobs. Mine gets tinkered with as they can fit it in to their schedule. Next week we should get the new frame members cut and fitted into place.
Jarhead

Last edited by jarheadl34; 12-05-2018 at 07:08 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

An update on the progress of the Cutlass. Work has been slow due to a new grandson for me and the shop guys finishing some other jobs. I want to report that I found rust on those Hooker LS swap manifolds, just starting to show up as small flecks. Those manifolds cost a lot when you get them coated as these are. They are about 2 years old and have never been on anything other than this mock up. Never been started or run at all. Just sat in a box on the shelf in a dry shop. They fit well and are a nice casting. I wonder how guys that are running them have fared. I will tell you honestly that I will not buy Hooker coated manifolds ever again.
the stainless structural members and PWTBs are being worked on slowly and I think you will find what is happening will be unique.
Jarhead
Old 12-18-2018, 10:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,019 Likes on 2,350 Posts

OK, imagine if you got them uncoated. They would be COVERED in rust, yet still be functional. A few flecks is nothing to worry about. They look great in the pics.
Old 12-18-2018, 02:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

If I wanted rusty manifolds I would have ordered uncoated. It costs $100 more for the coating which is rusting through already. As far as I am concerned they are a rip off, the coating is still shiny but it is rusting from under the coating. To me that means improper surface prep before coating. I have been running Hooker (and Holley) products for over half a century and this is the first time I have ever bought a sub standard product from them.
Jarhead
Old 12-27-2018, 04:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Three pictures taken today of my Hooker LS swap manifolds. These are the silver coated version direct from Hooker. The overall workmanship and casting is great. They fit perfectly, easily clear everything on my 65 Cutlass using the Hooker mounts. They are OEM quality castings that appear to seal up perfectly on the head surface. However as you can see these manifolds are rusting from the inside, right through the still shiny coating. On the machined surfaces (like the exhaust ports above) the coating is perfect but everywhere there is any bumpy casting, rust is coming up. These manifolds have never been on a motor (except the recent mockup here for pictures). Never been run at all. Just sat in a box in this shop for the last two years on a dry shelf inside the box they came in. To pay a hundreds bucks more to get them factory coated to me seems like a rip off. I do not know how others have fared but mine are a complete disappointment. I am now looking to possibly buying the Speedway stainless steel cast manifolds. At least they will not rust. Look closely at these pictures, Everything that is not shiny is rust coming up through the coating!
Jarhead
Old 12-27-2018, 05:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

I think if you put these manifolds on, nobody will notice any rust. I had to look HARD to find any. Save your money. I think you're being too picky. No offense! I would use them as-is.
Old 12-27-2018, 06:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Jarhead, did you contact Hooker to see if they will work something out for you?
Old 12-27-2018, 07:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

No I have not contacted Hooker. I did not ask if there was a warranty on the coating when I bought them. Nothing about it in the box that they came in. I like the quality of the castings and the machine work. It is just the coating that is rusting. Now if I had them on a Jeep and was mud bogging every weekend I would not complain. But for unused parts in the original boxing to start rusting out without ever being run is a bit much for me.
you pay your money and you take your chances.
Jarhead

Old 12-28-2018, 11:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Just off of a phone call to Hooker customer service. The warranty on the coatings are 90 days and no warranty at all if you break in a new engine using coated manifolds. So no warranty at all. Oh well such is life.
if you are considering using Hooker swap manifolds, I reccomend them raw finish only.
Jarhead

Old 12-28-2018, 05:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

A couple of pictures of the pumpkin. This one is a Strange 9 inch aluminum case with 3.89 trutrac. I feel that the Cutlass should be a blast to drive with this gear and say a 3000 stall convertor. Jarhead
Old 12-28-2018, 09:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

3.89 w/ trutrac…. torque will be AT HAND...
Old 12-30-2018, 09:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

I really wanted to use a 4.10 ratio but this one came up for sale here on parts classified. I bought it and some Strange 31 spline axles with 98-02 Camaro rear brakes that I will use for another GM A body 9 inch housing that I have. I have always liked low gears for street performance cars. I do not care at all about highway cruising or very high speeds. With a 3.89 gear and say a 100 shot of nitros I think I will surpass my old Motion Camaro’s best of mid 11s.
Jarhead
Old 12-30-2018, 11:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

For anybody wanting a copy of the Rocky Topper 65 Cutlass dash gauge panel I am making them. Send me your mailing info on a PM and I will send you a late Christmas present.
Jarhead
Old 01-03-2019, 04:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

A couple of pictures of the Strange 31 spline axles that I bought from a member on here when I also bought his Strange 3.89 pumpkin. The setup was in a 4th gen Camaro featuring the same brakes that I use on my Cutlass. The short axle is the exact length that I need for another 64 A body 9 inch housing that I have. The short Camaro axle will now be the long axle for an A body rear. This one is 30.5" and the long one 34.5". The long axle is always 4 inches longer in a centered pinion Ford 9 inch. So the new short axle will be 26.5" (or 4 inches shorter than the long axle). Add in the 1.125" for the pin and the total width should be right at 58 and 1/8". Add on the two brake discs and you should be right at 59 or so which is just under the stock 64 width of 60". This setup uses the cast backing plates (that carry the e brake) to retain the axle bearings. Most people do it this way and it works fine. However you have to remove the brake backing plates to remove the axles. That's why the backing plates came with the axles.
On mine we went another way to retain the bearings and my axles can come out with out removing all the other stuff.
So more parts for projects down the road. All that I lack is the new short axle to have another complete rear end, brakes and all. With bearings and studs $205 from Strange
Jarhead

Last edited by jarheadl34; 01-04-2019 at 07:44 AM.
Old 01-03-2019, 05:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,386 Likes on 875 Posts

I would coat those manifolds in WD40 and call it a day (some 0000 steel wool would probably make them look perfect again). In my experience the coatings that I have had never lasted. That's the reason I got uncoated ones for the Cougar.

Andrew
Old 01-03-2019, 09:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks Andrew, I agree that coatings do not last. I should have known better. So no more coated anything for me. But I am not giving up on Hooker parts in the exhaust. I have decided to go ahead and run Hooker stainless headers, the 1 7/8 version.
Jarhead
Old 01-05-2019, 11:52 AM
On The Tree

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

really neat car. also love the 5 window (great price on that grille) and 55 chevy in the same pic. 2 of the coolest cars ever made in my opinion. are you planning on using the olds valve covers?
Old 01-05-2019, 02:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the compliments, I have always loved 55s too. That 55 is a Delray, a not too often seen model. It has a 383SBC with airflow 195cc heads. A super T10 and Ford rear end.
Trying to get Rick to work on it more so that I can drive it every now and again. I bought another long block , a 2013 6 liter out of a pickup. Has the goofy DOD or whatever but it was running good and for $600 I could not let it pass. The owner bought a new crate long block from Chevy and the core charge was $600. We should be getting back to the chassis work next week as some other jobs have tied up the shop.
Jarhead

Quick Reply: Jarhead's 1965 F85 with LS3 swap