Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1974 C10 - fuel bucket?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 09:03 PM
9 Second Club

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Default 1974 C10 - fuel bucket?

What are folks doing with early fuel tanks when they convert to EFI? I plan to run 1 or 2 walboro 450's and like the idea of a bucket bit am unsure what to buy or where to buy it. I know I can probably call Tanks INC but honestly would rather make something work if possible. I also know the pump on a stick method would sort of work but want to steer clear of alway requiring a 1/2 full tank to avoid starvation
Old 03-15-2018, 09:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

U can get a fuel pump assemblie for a 87 c10. They came with fuel injection and have an internal pump. Would be easy to add 2 pumps if needed.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:48 PM
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an ‘85 C10. I’m running an ‘87+ K5/Suburban tank and sending unit. Spectra premium brand. I am using a walbro 255 pump that I attached to the sending unit. Tank goes underneath the bed. I cut the neck off and got one to go straight up to the bed floor.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:54 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by brandon6.0
U can get a fuel pump assemblie for a 87 c10. They came with fuel injection and have an internal pump. Would be easy to add 2 pumps if needed.
Interesting! So the late model pump assembly's will fit in a '74 tank? That seems almost to easy!

Makes me wonder if I can use the entire tank as well.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:18 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by lowchevytrucks8503
I have an ‘85 C10. I’m running an ‘87+ K5/Suburban tank and sending unit. Spectra premium brand. I am using a walbro 255 pump that I attached to the sending unit. Tank goes underneath the bed. I cut the neck off and got one to go straight up to the bed floor.
Guess I should have read this before my other response. This looks like a common option. Does the 87 pump assembly come with a bucket or is it even needed?
Old 03-16-2018, 07:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

The '87 sender wont fit a '74 tank. Some time in the 80's they switched to the bigger sending unit, that the '87 sender will fit. But, to really do it right you would need an '87 tank and sender since there isnt a fuel bucket, but the '87 tank does have a baffle in it.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:48 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by epfatboy
Guess I should have read this before my other response. This looks like a common option. Does the 87 pump assembly come with a bucket or is it even needed?

i’m using a pump on an ‘87 sending unit for a K5 blazer. It’s not a saddle tank for the left or right side so I’m not sure. I’m using a sock on my pump but the blazer tank is baffled so the bucket isn’t needed. If you want a saddle tank or dual saddle tanks, go with one for an ‘87 pickup. Half tons had 16 gallon tanks, the tanks are also specific for the left and right side.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hydra Mat and a fuel pump mounted to the sender
Old 03-17-2018, 07:57 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by lowchevytrucks8503
i’m using a pump on an ‘87 sending unit for a K5 blazer. It’s not a saddle tank for the left or right side so I’m not sure. I’m using a sock on my pump but the blazer tank is baffled so the bucket isn’t needed. If you want a saddle tank or dual saddle tanks, go with one for an ‘87 pickup. Half tons had 16 gallon tanks, the tanks are also specific for the left and right side.
Thanks for the tip, just checked rock auto and see the saddle tank options for the 87.

I noticed they list a "large neck" option and one with out, is that for the sender or filler neck? Also Will my filler neck work?

New tanks look totally cheap enough so why not, if baffled that feels like it will take care of the need for a bucket too.

Probably buy a complete sending unit as well, can I use the sending unit to attach the walboro pumps too?

Sorry for all the Q's, this is my first FI swap so never really felt with this type of fuel system before.
Old 03-17-2018, 08:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by epfatboy
Thanks for the tip, just checked rock auto and see the saddle tank options for the 87.

I noticed they list a "large neck" option and one with out, is that for the sender or filler neck? Also Will my filler neck work?

New tanks look totally cheap enough so why not, if baffled that feels like it will take care of the need for a bucket too.

Probably buy a complete sending unit as well, can I use the sending unit to attach the walboro pumps too?

Sorry for all the Q's, this is my first FI swap so never really felt with this type of fuel system before.
Yes you can attach the two together. When you attach the fuel pump to the sending unit, make sure you only use a small piece of SAE rated rubber hose that wont be destroyed by soaking in gasoline. Gates has some hose that will work but it’s like $25-$30 a foot. I’ve never heard of a large neck option. Visit Spectra Premium’s website or download their app on your smart phone. You’ll be able to find the one you need that way. Spectra Premium comes with a lifetime warranty and can be bought at Rock Auto or O’Rielly’s.