Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help figuring out my intake swap from a truck 4.8

Old 03-23-2018, 01:17 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Help figuring out my intake swap from a truck 4.8

I'm trying to figure out what I need to get to do the intake swap on the 4.8 LR4 I'm putting in an 84 Camaro, since the truck intake won't clear. I have a complete engine with intake/injectors/rails/tb/harness and would like the easiest/cheapest setup to get it running.

If I get an LS1/6 intake, I can reuse my throttle body, and can use my injectors with a spacers to fit them properly, will truck fuel rails work as well or will I need those from an LS1? Or would I be best just getting a complete intake/rails/injectors and getting adapters for the plugs?

If I were to get an LS2 intake, I need throttle body and rails, but my truck injectors will work?

Is that correct? Is there an option I'm missing if I have all the truck parts and just need a shorter intake? I know I'll need to deal with water pump and idler pulley, that's not really my concern just yet. Just wanting to figure out what intake parts I need.
Old 03-23-2018, 03:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

you will also need a car style water pump.

i did the ls6 intake i had on the shelf from one of my gtos but i didnt have a fuel so a friend gave me a chinese setup he had. im using stock LS1 injectors from my GTO with adapters from amazon.

Amazon Amazon

truck fuel rail would stick up several inches above the manifold.
Old 03-24-2018, 07:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the truck intake don’t fit, I doubt the rails would fit either as they are just about as tall as the truck intake is.
What harness are you running? Then that helps what’s the cheaper way to go with your injectors wiring.
I’d just get a complete pull out ls1/6 intake if possible. Be patient on finding one
Old 03-24-2018, 07:45 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1 pwrd NOVA
If the truck intake don’t fit, I doubt the rails would fit either as they are just about as tall as the truck intake is.
What harness are you running? Then that helps what’s the cheaper way to go with your injectors wiring.
I’d just get a complete pull out ls1/6 intake if possible. Be patient on finding one
it’s the truck harness and pcm as a package. So basically I just should get a complete ls1/6 intake and adapters for the injectors. And I can use the truck throttle body. Or complete minus the injectors and use my truck injectors with the spacers
Old 03-24-2018, 08:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Let’s say you find a complete car swap intake you just need to re wire the injectors or buy the harness adapters for them, sometimes this doesn’t loook as nice but it depends on the wiring adapter setup.
Or like you said, buy the adapters to make truck injectors work in a car intake setup and no wiring needs to be done.
I don’t know which way is cheaper route to go.
I sold a bunch of ls1 intakes cheap one time at $75, intake only.
Stock fuel Rails go for around $75
You’ll need car intake bolts also and gaskets as they are different.
Your truck tb will work on the car intakes.
Old 03-24-2018, 12:35 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you checked on thirgen.org? There were several people who made the truck intake fit. I think that even a few people didn't even shave the truck intake. Otherwise buy a complete car intake and either adapters for plugs for injectors or put the car plugs on your harness.
Old 03-24-2018, 12:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by cypris09
Have you checked on thirgen.org? There were several people who made the truck intake fit. I think that even a few people didn't even shave the truck intake. Otherwise buy a complete car intake and either adapters for plugs for injectors or put the car plugs on your harness.
yeah, the one I saw had a cowl hood. I don't really want to trim my hood underneath or get a different hood. I may see what it looks like but I think I would rather just get the ls1/6 intake for looks as well as clearance. I already lack an alternator or bracket so I will be getting a bracket for more clearance there anyway and will be easy enough to replace the water pump while I'm at it.
Old 03-24-2018, 01:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used an LS1 intake in my 68, you can get the truck water pump to work you just have to LIGHTLY tap the spout over with a rubber hammer. I used billet rails from Holley and some billet spacers for the truck injectors I found on eBay and I think they were $45.
Old 03-24-2018, 01:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by seanb128
I used an LS1 intake in my 68, you can get the truck water pump to work you just have to LIGHTLY tap the spout over with a rubber hammer. I used billet rails from Holley and some billet spacers for the truck injectors I found on eBay and I think they were $45.
is there any benefit to the fuel rails or is it just cosmetic?
Old 03-24-2018, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'll probably have to relocate the alternator as well. I swapped to a complete corvette accessories and intake for my BMW swap.

I have an LS6 intake for sale, PM if you're interested.
Old 03-24-2018, 02:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Fuel rails difference is what you can get cheaper to work for you. I’m using stock rails and are shooting for 5-600 hp turbo wise
Old 03-24-2018, 07:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ackattack1
You'll probably have to relocate the alternator as well. I swapped to a complete corvette accessories and intake for my BMW swap.

I have an LS6 intake for sale, PM if you're interested.
yeah, I don't have an alternator or bracket so I'll just get a swap bracket for that. One more thing to figure out.

Pm sent
Old 03-25-2018, 06:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You can use the truck bracket if you relocate the idler pulley. Dirty dingo sells a kit for this cheap. Then you just trim the truck bracket back
Old 03-25-2018, 01:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mkearney86

is there any benefit to the fuel rails or is it just cosmetic?
It’s cosmetic up to a certain point pretty much, but when I bought the intake it didn’t come with rails so I figured I’d just buy a nice set.
Old 04-04-2018, 01:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by mkearney86

yeah, I don't have an alternator or bracket so I'll just get a swap bracket for that. One more thing to figure out.

Pm sent

I have an LS2 intake that came with rails and injectors. I'm using decapped truck injectors with the ls2 rails and I had to buy adapters to space them up and they were a super PIA to get in and all lined up. I also bought new orings because from what I read the ls2 intake was a different diameter (14mm as opposed to 14.5 or something like that). I used the stock truck throttle body with an adapter 4 bolt to 3 bolt. Works great. Also used the truck water pump with a slight ding in the water pipe to clear where the throttle actuates from. Oh and that's after you cut the cruise part off. Also used a truck power steering/alternator bracket cut above the power steering unit to use just the alternator. Elongated the holes and rolled it sideways. I forget the belt length but I used the stock truck alternator and tensioners. Sorry for the long winded response but it was a budget build and it all worked great if your looking to save money.

Search this Thread