Sponsored by:

Stupid Trans Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 11:17 PM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Stupid Trans Question

Ok,

There is a local wrecking yard that has 5.3's pulled and ready to go with all accy's and uncut harness and stuff. Price seems really good.

Problem, is most of the motors are from 4wd trucks. I need a 2wd trans.....

Will I run into computer problems with a computer from a 4wd truck trying to talk to a 2wd trans?

I did a quick search but couldn't find anything.

TIA
William
Old 05-20-2018, 12:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just went through this process 3 weeks ago and the short answer to your question is yes. You will need to have your engine ECM flashed and you will also have to open the transmission, remove the TCM and have it flashed as well. I purchased a complete harness from Howell and also had them flash both computers. I don’t remember 100% but I think the costs we’re 175 for the transmission and 250 for the ECM.

You will also need to need to totally dissemble the transmission to replace the tail shaft and you will also need to purchase the following items that I got from another member who was spot on with his research

1. new tailshaft
2. 2wd Tailshaft housing
3. Slip yoke
Old 05-20-2018, 07:29 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by rays35
Just went through this process 3 weeks ago and the short answer to your question is yes. You will need to have your engine ECM flashed and you will also have to open the transmission, remove the TCM and have it flashed as well. I purchased a complete harness from Howell and also had them flash both computers. I don’t remember 100% but I think the costs we’re 175 for the transmission and 250 for the ECM.

You will also need to need to totally dissemble the transmission to replace the tail shaft and you will also need to purchase the following items that I got from another member who was spot on with his research

1. new tailshaft
2. 2wd Tailshaft housing
3. Slip yoke

I Must not have been clear.... The Motor and PCM are from a 4wd truck. The Trans is from a 2wd application (Truck, Van, car????). I'm worried that the engine PCM will freak out being its from a 4wd vehicle and the trans is from a 2wd vehicle..... I was under the impression that the engine PCM on 4l60E's controlled the trans..... Or am I an idiot?

I mean, I AM an idiot..... Just how big of one is the question.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:45 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I just reread your message and I understand the question now but I can't give you a 100% answers.

1. As far as the systems freaking out b/c of the attached 2WD trans. with the ECM programmed to interact with a 4wd config, I think the answer is yes and I'm pretty sure that you will need to flash.
2. My application uses a 6L80E which is controlled by the engine ECM but I'm not sure if the 4LXX are the same.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:36 AM
Teching In

Did some digging and according to the NOVAK site, the 4L60E is indeed controlled by the Engine PCM.

Question still stands. Will a 4wd PCM freak out if connected to a 2wd trans.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:10 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by devildogmech
Did some digging and according to the NOVAK site, the 4L60E is indeed controlled by the Engine PCM.

Question still stands. Will a 4wd PCM freak out if connected to a 2wd trans.
depends on what year the PCM is, but on a GenIII you wont have any problems. What year is the engine/PCM? As a general rule, a PCM is a Powertrain Control Module, so it controls the powertrain, engine and trans, where as an ECM is an Engine Control Module and only controls the engine, the newer ones will have a TCM that is a transmission Control Module. Since you say it has a PCM, I assume its an older combo?