LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Conversions & Swaps (https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps-28/)
-   -   Engine OK to sit on ground: damage to oil pan? (https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps/1901242-engine-ok-sit-ground-damage-oil-pan.html)

Vetteman61 06-25-2018 12:37 PM

Engine OK to sit on ground: damage to oil pan?

Hello,

I need to connect my engine and trans before installing them in my car. Is it OK for an LS engine to sit on the ground on its oil pan? What about after I get them connected together? Can the engine and transmission sit on the ground without damaging the oil pan? The aluminum F-body oil pan I put on the 5.3 certainly feels stronger than the old metal pans on the 350s that we used to sit on the ground.

Thanks,
Brandon

rickpaw 06-25-2018 01:10 PM

I don't see an issue with it, especially with the cast alum oil pan. Personally, I'd put some wood blocks underneath the pan to prevent scratching up the bottom.

When I did the swap in my 67 Firebird, I had the engine sitting on a heavy duty furniture dolly. That way I can roll it around, plus it makes installing the transmission awhole lot easier.

Michael Yount 06-25-2018 01:48 PM

On the other hand -- I wouldn't take the chance. Aluminum castings are actually pretty easy to break, especially with a point load. Of course, I had the handy wooden "stand" the motor came to me in, so it was easy to store it there when it wasn't hanging from the cherry picker.

This is going to be one of those things where both sides of the issue will be pointed out. Bottom line -- you get to decide.

jmd 06-25-2018 02:29 PM

On top of wood is good. Or an old tire. Even grass. It's a damn shame though, when a search engine gets left in the weeds indefinitely.

G Atsma 06-25-2018 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by jmd (Post 19920197)
It's a damn shame though, when a search engine gets left in the weeds indefinitely.

Yep.... the poor, neglected search engine... ignored by most first-time posters....

Michael Yount 06-25-2018 05:38 PM

In my experience the search engines get ignored because they rarely produce the info I’m looking for....

G Atsma 06-25-2018 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Yount (Post 19920276)
In my experience the search engines get ignored because they rarely produce the info I’m looking for....

Often quite so! One has to be VERY careful with word choices to get results within the definition being searched.

Michael Yount 06-25-2018 06:50 PM

More precisely, one has to imagine/guess/make up whatever someone else called the stuff one is trying to find out about...

G Atsma 06-25-2018 09:08 PM

Precisely! LOL

Vetteman61 06-25-2018 10:59 PM

Thanks for the replies:

Oil pan, Oil pot, oil jug, oil tin thang, leaf catcher, metal shaving collector, crush ring of fire, sump house, windage home, valdez Jr., fram shaving evidence,

Maybe that'll help.

Michael Yount 06-26-2018 06:11 AM

That’s how it’s done right there.

-TheBandit- 06-26-2018 03:07 PM

My engine was shipped across country banded and stretch wrapped to a pallet with the weight of the engine sitting on the factory aluminum pan. It had some simple wood blocks underneath so the weight was distributed across the front part of the pan and the bottom of the sump. There was no damage while going through freight shipment and that is much harsher than just lowering it carefully with a hoist. I'm sure if you set some wood blocks under in the right places it will be just fine, with or without the transmission connected to it.

Michael Yount 06-26-2018 04:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
GM ships them wire strapped to a pallet front/rear each side with the weight of the engine bearing on the four big machining tabs at each corner of the block (supported by 4 2x4 columns) - cast oil pan suspended above the pallet bearing no weight at all. As shown below....

Attachment 713690

Che70velle 06-26-2018 04:41 PM

I’ve set quite a few of them on my shop floor. I use a 4x4 block under the balancer to support the front. The key is to set it down very easily. VERY easily.

350SS 06-27-2018 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Yount (Post 19920924)
GM ships them wire strapped to a pallet front/rear each side with the weight of the engine bearing on the four big machining tabs at each corner of the block (supported by 4 2x4 columns) - cast oil pan suspended above the pallet bearing no weight at all. As shown below....

https://i.imgur.com/5k5ZQz3.jpg

this seems like a good way to go to avoid damaging the pan, overcompressing the pan gasket or damaging the crank bearings or balancer itself. but with that said people do set them on their pan and balancer all the time and don't seem to have issues so probably just my paranoid brain

Michael Yount 06-27-2018 12:25 PM

As I mentioned in the post, I had it sitting there (the pallet/stand) so it was a no-brainer to use it and not subject the brand new motor/pan to any risk.

G Atsma 06-27-2018 12:26 PM

A little paranoia is OK. Too much will destroy ya....

JoeNova 06-27-2018 12:33 PM

The pan can support the weight of the engine no problem.

Its impact that the pans can't withstand. Don't drop the engine on the floor.

Michael Yount 06-27-2018 12:39 PM

It’s not paranoia if they’re really out to getcha... 😎

-TheBandit- 06-27-2018 02:16 PM

I like how GM crates their engine. Those four tabs on the block are probably also used for support and positioning during production machining and assembly.

Mine wasn't crated like that though; definitely was sitting on the pan when it arrived.
http://cjnn.xtremefabricator.com/ima...p/ly6swap8.JPG