Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 mustang LS swap w/ 7875 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 10:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Thanks man. I'll just clean them with some solvents and a razor blade/brush (a soft brass one) nice and easy and slap the ones I ordered on there. Did you install your dry or use some copper coat type stuff?.
Old 07-17-2018, 01:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

back at work for the next 2 weeks so i wont have any updates. ill have all sorts of parts waiting for me when i get back home.

anyone ever use the stock power steering pump on the ford hydro-boost setup?
Old 07-17-2018, 05:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

I always copper coat and I fire my motor up for. Couple minutes before I put any water in it let it get warm and then cool down so I don't worry about any issues sealing
Old 07-17-2018, 09:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Any particular brand of coating that works better for the older style 862 heads with the notch?
Old 07-19-2018, 11:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

also was thinking. has anyone went to manual brakes from the hydroboost setup before? any input or opinions on that?
Old 07-20-2018, 10:47 AM
TECH Regular

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyle.t91
also was thinking. has anyone went to manual brakes from the hydroboost setup before? any input or opinions on that?
I remember a guy doing a swap on a 00 gt (I think) that switched from hydro to a regular vacuum assist setup out of a v6. Not sure if that's exactly what you mean by manual or not. His name is tired2valve I'm sure you can look up his build on here. I have a hydro setup from a gt I was going to put in mine but it works fine as of now so I'll probably never change it. My only question to you about the hydroboost is what will your power steering situation be? If your keeping it I don't see any reason to remove it they're more compact and work excellent.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SwapStang
I remember a guy doing a swap on a 00 gt (I think) that switched from hydro to a regular vacuum assist setup out of a v6. Not sure if that's exactly what you mean by manual or not. His name is tired2valve I'm sure you can look up his build on here. I have a hydro setup from a gt I was going to put in mine but it works fine as of now so I'll probably never change it. My only question to you about the hydroboost is what will your power steering situation be? If your keeping it I don't see any reason to remove it they're more compact and work excellent.

im not 100% how im going to do my hotside just yet but if i keep the power steering pump ill just have to get lines made to attach too the pump since they are different. ill also have to go up and forward with my stock truck manifolds instead of down and forward since they dont clear the pump going that way. i think itll be less headach and cheaper to just adapt the lines to the ls power steering pump. and ive also thought about geting an electric power steering pump off of say a volvo s40 and using it for the steering and hydroboost. as i said....still a lot to do before i make a final decision im just trying to get as much info as i can that way im not caught off guard later.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

and i was talking about actually putting manual brakes (no brake booster) and manual rack and pinion on.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:12 PM
TECH Regular

im not 100% how im going to do my hotside just yet but if i keep the power steering pump ill just have to get lines made to attach too the pump since they are different. ill also have to go up and forward with my stock truck manifolds instead of down and forward since they dont clear the pump going that way. i think itll be less headach and cheaper to just adapt the lines to the ls power steering pump. and ive also thought about geting an electric power steering pump off of say a volvo s40 and using it for the steering and hydroboost. as i said....still a lot to do before i make a final decision im just trying to get as much info as i can that way im not caught off guard later.
After messing around with a few setups that's exactly what I ended up with is an electric pump from a Volvo. Works absolutely amazing I couldn't be happier with it and its small and out of the way. Same lines since its a ford pump anyways. All I run is an alternator. I came forward and down with my stock truck manifolds. I have an 01 but underhood is pretty much the same. I think the Volvo pump should be enough to make the hydroboost setup work just fine. I HIGHLY recommend it for ease and simplicity.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:33 PM
Launching!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

It's kind of a question of packaging. I was able to get away with using my '03 Mustang rack and the truck PS pump that came with my engine. Shimmed the relief valve on the pump. Spliced a truck PS line onto my Mustang PS line using a 3/8" Swagelok.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

After messing around with a few setups that's exactly what I ended up with is an electric pump from a Volvo. Works absolutely amazing I couldn't be happier with it and its small and out of the way. Same lines since its a ford pump anyways. All I run is an alternator. I came forward and down with my stock truck manifolds. I have an 01 but underhood is pretty much the same. I think the Volvo pump should be enough to make the hydroboost setup work just fine. I HIGHLY recommend it for ease and simplicity.
this seems like the best idea. i have found a couple pumps online in between 80- 150 bucks. itll probably be the rout i go.
any links for your setup?
Old 07-23-2018, 06:25 AM
TECH Regular

this seems like the best idea. i have found a couple pumps online in between 80- 150 bucks. itll probably be the rout i go.
any links for your setup?
No links sorry. I didn't document much just a few random pics here and there. Bumper is coming off again soon I'll get some better pics. I think I paid about 100 ish maybe 110 for mine. I would suggest finding one with the wiring pigtails on them it will make life easier for you.
Old 07-23-2018, 07:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the more i think the harder the decision gets. ill probably just leave the **** thats on it there and get lines made or buy them. always the option of selling the car and get my money back and find something else a little cheaper and that has a brake booster on it. i think i jumped the gun on that car when i got it. that money was burning a hole in my pocket. kinda regretting it now. it took a big chunk of the budget.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:20 AM
TECH Regular

the more i think the harder the decision gets. ill probably just leave the **** thats on it there and get lines made or buy them. always the option of selling the car and get my money back and find something else a little cheaper and that has a brake booster on it. i think i jumped the gun on that car when i got it. that money was burning a hole in my pocket. kinda regretting it now. it took a big chunk of the budget.
If the car runs and drives and you can make money I'd say go for it, but whatever you end up with has to be cheap enough to justify all that. V6's are obviously the cheapest to find but little things can add up. I started with a v6 because the car was 350 bucks I really couldn't go wrong. As far as the powersteering is concerned if you go electric you shouldn't need anything made up depending on where you mount the pump. I just plugged mine in and have been using it. I can't say much for going with the GM pump but I can't imagine you'll need more than one line made up. If even that. The m16x1.5 that ford uses seems like a pretty common fitting size for PS. If you want to go with a booster just grab a v6 junkyard one should be a direct bolt in. Junkyard is definitely your friend. Good luck either way though!
Old 07-23-2018, 08:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

one thing to keep in mind is with a V6 you are going to need to swap the diff out to the GT 8.8. the 7.5 in the v6 isnt going to last very long with power infront of it. its a direct/easy swap but its something else thats goign to cost money ontop.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dan95gst
one thing to keep in mind is with a V6 you are going to need to swap the diff out to the GT 8.8. the 7.5 in the v6 isnt going to last very long with power infront of it. its a direct/easy swap but its something else thats goign to cost money ontop.

didnt know that. thought they all had 8.8 in them. my budget is running low and im just thinking i paid a little too much for a car thats going to be a roller. if i get the engine and trans sold for say....600 bucks thats 1200 for the car ill be invested. makes me feel like i overpaid but maybe i didnt.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

i paid 1000 for my roller but it already had a 8.8 with 4,10s in it that has the tubes welded. engine bay was empty and cleaned up so there was less work. plus i got it from a friend of mine. clear title, no accidents, 1 owner car though. only 115k miles on the chassis. also got a gt bumper with it and some chromoly mosier 31 spline axles with ARP studs.

so it wasnt horrible deal for me.

Last edited by dan95gst; 07-23-2018 at 11:32 AM.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:36 AM
TECH Regular

didnt know that. thought they all had 8.8 in them. my budget is running low and im just thinking i paid a little too much for a car thats going to be a roller. if i get the engine and trans sold for say....600 bucks thats 1200 for the car ill be invested. makes me feel like i overpaid but maybe i didnt.
They don't all have the 8.8 and another thing to keep in mind if you need an 8.8 is that all the years are different in width. The foxes, the sn95s and the New Edge's all vary in width. I just swapped my 7.5 out a few weeks ago and it was just about ready to explode it sounded awful haha. Got an 04 8.8 super cheap so I'm still doing ok budget wise. Your car is already a GT isn't it? If it is and you only paid 1800 for it that's a good deal where I live. Should be able to get some good money back selling that off.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

They don't all have the 8.8 and another thing to keep in mind if you need an 8.8 is that all the years are different in width. The foxes, the sn95s and the New Edge's all vary in width. I just swapped my 7.5 out a few weeks ago and it was just about ready to explode it sounded awful haha. Got an 04 8.8 super cheap so I'm still doing ok budget wise. Your car is already a GT isn't it? If it is and you only paid 1800 for it that's a good deal where I live. Should be able to get some good money back selling that off.
yeah its a gt. has 140k on it. the first pic posted is an old pic the guy had that i got it from. it isnt at all that clean anymore. ill take some pics when i get back on land from work. be home in 8 days. it has paint oxidation and a few dents. nothing major. i have the engine and trans for sale now, no real bites yet. it makes me feel a little better knowing i didnt completely get shafted with the purchase.
Old 07-25-2018, 06:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

just saw that snake eater performance has his injectors for sale on his website now. its been a while since i last checked but they are cheap. and come with warranty. 28 bucks each for 1000cc or 1500cc. if i only would have waited i could havce got the 1000cc for cheaper then i paid for my 80lbs siemens. owell.

Quick Reply: 98 mustang LS swap w/ 7875 turbo