Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Impala Wagon Swap build.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 07:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Box of goodness arrived today. Motivation has been kicked up a notch.
Old 10-26-2018, 04:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by underpowered
Just gotta keep an eye out for a deal. I wanted a 6.0 but assumed i would have to settle for a 5.3 due to my budget. But after a bit of looking, bought the 6.0 from a friend for $1200, but sold the Trans and T-case that came with it for $800. Ended up with only $500 in the complete 6.0 with full harness and ECU.

Dropping of the harness to be cut down tonight and picking up a a few tools to help with disassembly as well. Hopefully it will be down to the short block by the weekend.
I have a 2006 5.3L LH6 that I could put in my 94 Caprice but I guess I sometimes fear that it would be a bit underpowered
even though the 5.3L would most likely put out more power than the original 5.7L LT-1. I just have "bigger is better syndrome" lol
Old 10-26-2018, 09:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

LT-1 = 250HP, LH6 = about 320HP. So yeah, a little more power...
Old 10-30-2018, 05:52 AM
On The Tree

Got impatient waiting to borrow a pulled so i went ahead and pulled the engine the rest of the way apart as far as i could without it. my Impact ran a few ugga dugga's short of removing the crank bolt. gotta call in reinforcements later this week.

pretty clean inside throughout.

Old 10-31-2018, 01:51 PM
Teching In

Your Motor is Looking Good!!
I got my Stage 2 Turbo Cam and DOD Delete kit from Tooley today. Need to take my 5.3L to the Machine Shop over in Wichita in the morning. My motor has the better rods so I will use them, but plan to replace pistons. Been eye balling the twin turbo kits on ebay wondering how they stand up?

Last edited by chevydarrell; 10-31-2018 at 01:56 PM.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:13 AM
On The Tree

Crank bolt is being extra stubborn. tried 3 different 1/2" impacts and it won't budge. Gonna add a touch of heat next, if that doesn't do it gonna have to break out the big gun (3/4") from a buddy.
Old 11-04-2018, 07:52 PM
On The Tree

Engine is torn down to short block state. Ordering more parts this week for reassembly. Gaskets and such.

in the meantime, harness has been dropped off to a friend to build that part for me. Rather them me fumble my way through it, rather have someone who knows what they are doing work it up into a stand alone setup,

building him a wagon of his own in trade, for his son.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Crank bolt is being extra stubborn. tried 3 different 1/2" impacts and it won't budge. Gonna add a touch of heat next, if that doesn't do it gonna have to break out the big gun (3/4") from a buddy.
How about a breaker bar and a 4' pipe slipped over the handle?

Last edited by TipsyMcStagger; 11-05-2018 at 05:41 AM.
Old 11-05-2018, 05:36 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TipsyMcStagger
How about a beaker bar and a 4' pipe slipped over the handle?
hard to keep the engine from turning over on the stand. with the extra spacer for the 6.0 flexplate I had to remove it to bolt it up to my engine stand and it left me with no good way to hold the rotating assemble from rotating while getting the bolt out.

a little heat on the head of the bolt to break it free of the sealant used and the 1/2" impact finally got it off but not without a fight still.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:50 PM
On The Tree

Officially scored a T56 from a 2000 F-body today. I think i got an Ok deal on it, $600 seem fair? have the Camaro on hand to pull the pedals from as well. Should make the swap a bit smoother.

have the rest of the engine assembly parts as well. Hoping to slap it back together after the holidays then drop it off at the tuners to at least put a baseline tune on it before dropping it in the car to make the first fire up easier to load it on the trailer for final dyno tune.

taking a touch longer than expected to get the ball rolling on it all, but should be getting back on it soon.
Old 12-03-2018, 11:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 306 Likes on 206 Posts

Officially scored a T56 from a 2000 F-body today. I think i got an Ok deal on it, $600 seem fair? have the Camaro on hand to pull the pedals from as well. Should make the swap a bit smoother.

Wow...nice score...

Apparently you got the whole car???

How are you going to mount the pedals?
Old 12-04-2018, 12:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Little LS powered six-speed wagon teaser...

(I know it's a Pontiac.. but you get the idea.)

The following users liked this post:
chevydarrell (02-12-2020)
Old 12-04-2018, 03:25 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by CattleAc
Little LS powered six-speed wagon teaser...

(I know it's a Pontiac.. but you get the idea.)

What a sweet Pontiac! Used to have a Olds Custom Cruiser, Now have 94 Caprice.
Old 12-04-2018, 03:27 AM
Teching In

have the rest of the engine assembly parts as well. Hoping to slap it back together after the holidays then drop it off at the tuners to at least put a baseline tune on it before dropping it in the car to make the first fire up easier to load it on the trailer for final dyno tune.

taking a touch longer than expected to get the ball rolling on it all, but should be getting back on it soon.
Looks like your making nice progress! I also am quit interested in how you mount the clutch pedal?
Old 12-04-2018, 06:00 AM
On The Tree

Wow...nice score...

Apparently you got the whole car???

How are you going to mount the pedals?
Not sure yet, have not so much as looked at how they are mounted in the Camaro yet. More of a "i'll cross that bridge when i get there" deal.

and I just bought the trans, but have access to the car to get any other parts I need for the swap free of charge. It is being parted out slowly.

Saw the Shaken and Stirred wagon at LS Fest a couple years back. It is a bit of my inspiration.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:28 AM
Teching In

Three Pedals sells a pedal assembly and all the trimmings for your application. I think you will find that a lower rear gear would be required. Otherwise, you will have to ride the clutch like crazy off the line.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by OLDSMAN
Three Pedals sells a pedal assembly and all the trimmings for your application. I think you will find that a lower rear gear would be required. Otherwise, you will have to ride the clutch like crazy off the line.
Yupp, lower gear is for sure a must. The stock 2.73 will render 6th gear useless and indeed require lots of clutch feathering on take off. thinking either 3.73 or 4.10. Ideally i want something in the middle of about a 3.90 but have not found that option for my 10b.

Yeah, the above posted pontiac safari wagon is a three pedals sponsored car and is usually at their booth at LS fest. While it would be nice to buy their stuff, I see no reason i can't fab it up myself. I am all about built not bought. The three pedals setup would kill the budget as well.
Old 12-04-2018, 06:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

I hope I didn't muck up your thread with that picture of the "Three Pedal Wagon"...I just thought it was kinda' cool, and sort of the direction you are headed with yours.

I try and fabricate all my own parts also...I wasn't implying anyone should buy their parts. Just thought it was a neat ride.

Really excited to see how yours turns out!!
Old 12-04-2018, 07:26 PM
Teching In

The Three Pedals wagon has 4:10 gears because they are hard core, but 3:73 would probably be good too.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:06 PM
On The Tree

I hope I didn't muck up your thread with that picture of the "Three Pedal Wagon"...I just thought it was kinda' cool, and sort of the direction you are headed with yours.

I try and fabricate all my own parts also...I wasn't implying anyone should buy their parts. Just thought it was a neat ride.

Really excited to see how yours turns out!!

No issue at all. It is a very cool car and definitely the direction I am going.