Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Impala Wagon Swap build.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2019, 06:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Took the car to the track last night. First trip for the car, My first time Drag racing, and certainly first time racing a manual. Went better than i expected overall. Car ran well, i drove it well (IMO), weather sucked though.

Favorite Pic of the night, though it is misleading.

^^^ We both spun off the line, I tree'd him pretty good though. both were slow passes due to lack of traction on both accounts, he did beat me still though.

Full race trim, which is coincidentally the same as DD trim

Best slip of the night. Only ran twice though. Right lane, car 800 is me. Left lane was a 2012 Caprice PPV with Cam/CAI/Headers and tuned for it all. It was my Younger brother, i was very happy to beat him. this was both of our First passes, His best pass was 13.9.
The following 4 users liked this post by underpowered:
chevydarrell (05-12-2020), G Atsma (07-03-2019), kirk1161 (06-30-2019), kpeters59 (06-30-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 12:03 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice work
Old 08-18-2019, 05:29 PM
On The Tree

well, According to Facebook i have owned the car for a year today. Been on the road for about 3 months.

Few little quirks. my Tune needs a bit of work, it is overfueling at Idle when warm, causing it to be hard to start. Had to replace my E fans already, they failed so it got a 2 speed Derale fan as a replacement. Radiator leaks a bit of coolant from the drain. But it gets driven almost daily, has nearly 4k miles on it thus far and counting.

It gets about 16.5-17 MPG on my daily commute. Haven't taken it on a highway trip yet to see what it gets there. As expected, i am a bit bored with the power already. Might get some slgiht power upgrades in the spring. (243 heads, TBSS intake) eventually more cam maybe.

Been hitting up the local Cars and Coffee events, as well as a few smaller local shows, mostly for events i am connected too through friends. I know it is no show winner, but it tends to draw a crowd with its oddball-ness especially once they see it is a Stick.

Getting Shown up by a good friends fresh 5.3/AR5 swap in his 260Z. This car draws an instant crowd everywhere it goes..
The following users liked this post:
chevydarrell (02-12-2020)
Old 02-12-2020, 03:01 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am very happy that you got your build done but at the same time I miss your fun posts and project!
How are you liking the car by now?
Old 02-12-2020, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

How is that ar5 doing?

Thanks.
Old 04-01-2020, 02:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by chevydarrell
I am very happy that you got your build done but at the same time I miss your fun posts and project!
How are you liking the car by now?
Love it. It sat for the winter a lot due to lack of heat and my unwillingness to investigate, but Update on some stuff in a post Below! a project is never actually "Done"

Originally Posted by Stampede4ever
How is that ar5 doing?

Thanks.
AR5 in the datsun is doing well. he doesn't have many miles on it yet. Car is currently getting a Turbo and swapped to Terminator X so we will see how well it holds up once this is completed.

Old 04-01-2020, 02:08 PM
On The Tree

Two updates. One from last fall First.

Drove the car all over the state. Made it down to LS Fest and into the show. It ain't much to look at, but with LS fest being only 3-ish hours way it is close and if i am gonna go, might as well show off my junk.

Then, what the car was built for and the inspiration for it all, camping. That is was spurred this whole idea and i got to put it to use. All my camping gear for a week piled in the car. still have rearward visibility and arguably the coolest car at the campground

The following 2 users liked this post by underpowered:
kirk1161 (04-02-2020), kpeters59 (05-02-2020)
Old 04-01-2020, 02:20 PM
On The Tree

Now for the fun stuff. After driving the car for an estimated 5k miles last year, it left a bit to be desired. It is still a mostly original 1978 Impala.

so this year is all about reliability, a bit of Comfort and handling to boot but the car will end up looking pretty well the same.

So, with all this Covid-19 craziness going on i was forced to Self Quarantine by my work due to a coworkers possible exposure. So, i had just over 1 week off work to do as i pleased. Most of what i had to do was already planned, so i bought stock in Rock auto, and TheGearbox.com

Off to work i went at a friends garage. The Garage i typically use has another LS swap wagon on it (should be Awesome when done! 1978 Volare) All new shocks, springs, LCA's and Bushings in the UCA's.

Also, the Trans had some small issues, so Stage 2 rebuild went it. First time for me, not to bad of a job.

Next on the list is add A/C to the car, add some swaybars. I have a 21mm from a crown vic, and now i need to source a ws6 bar for the front. Then maybe some new wheels and it will be done for this year i hope, just in time to Long Haul the Power Tour.

After it was all back together, went on a 300+ mile "Social distancing" backroads cruise to ensure proper operation and to let the suspension settle some.

Old 04-04-2020, 11:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

I bet alot of people pass it bye on the street. It looks like a older moms car. I really dig it. I always liked wagons and a LS powered is the cherry on top. Great job.
Old 04-07-2020, 12:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
I bet alot of people pass it bye on the street. It looks like a older moms car. I really dig it. I always liked wagons and a LS powered is the cherry on top. Great job.
Thanks,
I get "My (random relative) had one just like this when I was a kid" very often. The lope turns a few heads when it is running, but most are more interested once they find out it is a Manual. Plenty just pass by without a clue as it is very un-assuming and plain from the outside.
Old 05-11-2020, 08:26 AM
On The Tree

picked up a parts car this weekend. making it a bit faster was intended to be next on the list, but however now it looks like cosmetic and interior upgrades have been bumped up in line. Need a couple body panels, bumper and pretty well full interior swap including the much sought after 3rd row seat.

Old 05-11-2020, 09:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Body look decent on the parts car
Old 05-11-2020, 09:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

People prolly think it’s a poor high school kid with moms hand me down horrid with a 4bbl 305 and alum slit magsw
Old 05-11-2020, 07:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice, composite headlight header on the parts car!
Old 05-12-2020, 12:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
Body look decent on the parts car
it is overall. less rust than my current one but this one has more dents (see rear quarter panel) what parts i want are in decent shape though

Originally Posted by karlb
Nice, composite headlight header on the parts car!
yupp, i don't like it though. i plan on keeping my 4 sealed beam setup. the composite's make it look too much like an old car trying to be modern. i'd rather just look like an old car