Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 mustang GT lm7/T56 swap

Old 08-21-2018, 10:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 mustang GT lm7/T56 swap

How’s it going guys my names Rachael, I’m new to the forum so I’m not sure if this is the right place to start this thread but I’m starting a swap on my 2003 true blue mustang GT , car originally had a 4.6 sohc modular ford but after a fight with engine knock the engine decided to crap out, Ive picked up a 5.3 out of a 1500 ( motor is bored .10 over, vortex has heads and some aftermarket rockers that the previous owner installed) and I’m slowly getting all the parts I need together, old engines out and measurements for the new K member are already taken, I’m currently looking to find a t56 out of a fbody as well as the bellhousing. I will be posting as the car comes along and if anybody has any help or suggestions/advice or knows where I can locate a good transmission or anything else I may need please message me. I’d love to hear from anybody that has done a swap similar to this so I can get some help as this is my first time messing with a Chevy motor generally. Power goal is 600 wheel with a single turbo setup down the road
Old 08-22-2018, 07:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

get as much of the holley swap stuff as you can. their engine mount adapters are great. few of us have new edge build threads right now with lots of pics and info (myself included).

good luck and welcome to the madhouse lol
Old 08-22-2018, 08:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Rachael, I've just finished working my way all the way through the development of the Hooker Blackheart LS swap system for the New Edge Mustangs and may be able to give you some good insight as to things you may come up against in your swap if you are planning on using an engine/transmission/K-member combination that I accommodated as part of the Hooker Blackheart system. The info I can provide you with would be of benefit to you, and others, whether you use any of the Hooker Blackheart components or not. I see you are planning on using a 5.3/T56 engine and transmission combination, but you're not clear on what brand of K-member you plan on using.

Last edited by Toddoky; 08-22-2018 at 09:32 AM.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:30 AM
Launching!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Lots of swaps like that around here. I did a swap into a 2003 V6 using a Ford-spec T56 Magnum, some cobbled-together engine mounts modified from aftermarket urethane GT mounts, and a turbo kit fabricated by a shop across the street from me.

The truck intake manifold and accessory drive will be a tight fit and will probably not clear the stock Mustang hood. There are lots of options available to fix that. Otherwise, it is a pretty easy swap.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...o-lq9-t56.html
Old 08-22-2018, 12:35 PM
Launching!

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Rachel it was good talking to you a couple weeks ago, glad you finally decided to throw together a build thread. Truck intake will not clear stock hood.

Let me know if you need any help!
Old 08-22-2018, 12:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Burning
Truck intake will not clear stock hood.
For the record, here's a picture of the stuff that sticks past the level of the fenders when using all truck stuff (without the cosmetic cover on the intake). This car has a Maximum Motorsports K-member and (as I mentioned in my previous post) typical urethane GT mounts with the ears modified to fit the truck block. This is about as low as you're going to get it on a stock-style K-member, and it's jammed pretty far back into the firewall.

Attachment 715663
Old 08-22-2018, 01:04 PM
Launching!

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by lemming104
For the record, here's a picture of the stuff that sticks past the level of the fenders when using all truck stuff (without the cosmetic cover on the intake). This car has a Maximum Motorsports K-member and (as I mentioned in my previous post) typical urethane GT mounts with the ears modified to fit the truck block. This is about as low as you're going to get it on a stock-style K-member, and it's jammed pretty far back into the firewall.

LS1/3/6 Intakes clear the stock hood but require different accessories. I paid a total of around $300 for my front accessories.
Old 08-22-2018, 01:09 PM
Launching!

I used an LS6 intake and a bracket from LS Brackets that moves the alternator out to the side and drops it a couple inches. Lots of ways to solve that particular problem.
Old 08-22-2018, 01:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Burning
LS1/3/6 Intakes clear the stock hood but require different accessories. I paid a total of around $300 for my front accessories.
yea i have a ls6 intake on mine with the dirty dingo alt bracket with truck alt, camaro crank pulley and waterpump/tensioner.

i want to say ive got around the same 300-340 in those. but it all clears the stock hood and was cheaper than a cowl hood. if it was closer in price i would have bought the cowl hood (and i still might lol)
Old 08-22-2018, 03:51 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the replies everyone! It means a lot!!! So, as for the k member, I’m having a friend who welds with materials help and teach me welding and all, we’re going to put together a full tubular member. In process of measuring , pics to come later on!
Old 08-22-2018, 06:33 PM
TECH Regular

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Wait you mean I can't clear the stock hood either lol
Old 08-23-2018, 02:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Dimeomboost

Wait you mean I can't clear the stock hood either lol
That thing is a nasty beast I LOVE that setup haha.
One very important question is what is your budget? I went pretty cheap and kept the stock K--member. I have to admit that for the money I'm not sure I'd spend my time fabbing one up. Lot of work and at the end of it with materials in my mind wouldn't be worth it. Just my .02.
I also hacked up my alt/ps bracket, elongated 2 holes and rolled it sideways, keeping the stock alternator and clearing the hood. Stock truck water pump. Stock GT radiator and fan. Stock GT overflow. I did a 4l80e so I reused my stock trans crossmember and mounts, just moved it back 8-12 inches. Stock GT motor mounts with homemade adapter plates. All this was for budget. Flipped stock manifolds... blah blah blah all the same stuff as a million other people for the turbo. Seems to be a lot of New Edge guys that we could all build the next one in our sleep haha. You need info between all of us you'll have plenty!
Old 08-23-2018, 05:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

I agree on the k member, tubular options are numerous and cheap. Plenty of other parts of the build to learn welding on. I'm learning myself, I struggle with it a bunch.
Old 09-08-2018, 07:39 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live near the AJE shop, I really like them, just good guys, max clearance and making good product, much smaller hands on operation that you would expect, was truly the original first K member for fox mustangs ever made. The whole idea came from Anthony Jones. I will be sub'ing to you thread here.

Last edited by RIDETOEAT; 09-09-2018 at 06:18 AM.
Old 09-17-2018, 01:33 PM
Teching In

Default Updates for today

Trying to post pics but I can’t figure it out lol. Says I have to wait on an administrator for approval or something but it’s been weeks! Help lol. So anyway the GM harness is all spliced up and loomed up and now to do the same thing to the Ford harness and merge em, and I’ve got something in mind with tangling in the constant control relay module to work as obviously what it is a relay box for my injectors etc.

Last edited by Rachaelhasav8; 09-17-2018 at 01:58 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:28 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Rachaelhasav8
Trying to post pics but I can’t figure it out lol. Says I have to wait on an administrator for approval or something but it’s been weeks! Help lol. So anyway the GM harness is all spliced up and loomed up and now to do the same thing to the Ford harness and merge em, and I’ve got something in mind with tangling in the constant control relay module to work as obviously what it is a relay box for my injectors etc.
What exactly do you mean when you say "merge em"? Are you running the stock ford engine harness in parallel to get the ecu inputs for gauges and whatnot? The ccrm I thought was entirely controlled through the ford ECU. If you just want to use it for a relay box I'm not sure that'll work the way you want, unless you are just using the empty shell of one. I only have 3 relays to run my fans and PCM. Not sure it would be worth the aggravation of trying to decipher how ford got the ccrm to work. The stock mustang fuse block would probably be a better bet. Just my .02
Old 09-19-2018, 09:10 AM
Launching!

Depending on what you're trying to keep, the CCRM probably isn't even worth it. As far as I can tell, it mainly runs the PCM and the electric fan. I went through the wiring harness on my '03 V6 over the holidays last year, and I was able to eliminate pretty much all of the wiring on the passenger's side front of the car, except for one wire that goes to the turn signal. (Disclaimer: No air conditioning, no ABS)
Old 10-10-2018, 09:44 PM
Teching In

Hey guys, so I’m at the wiring stage and I’m a little stuck, I have the harness depinned like I said and the stock GM ecu. We’re trying to figure out how to get it to work with the stock wiring for the fuel pump and how to wire it into the stock fuse box and wire in a new relay box for AC, Fuel pump, high and low speed fans ETC. if any of you have ever done it before I’d really love to hear from you guys as to how you wired it all up, the stock harness still has all the connections for the sensors it’s just the ford parts that I need to splice in
Old 10-10-2018, 10:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys, so I’m at the wiring stage and I’m a little stuck, I have the harness depinned like I said and the stock GM ecu. We’re trying to figure out how to get it to work with the stock wiring for the fuel pump and how to wire it into the stock fuse box and wire in a new relay box for AC, Fuel pump, high and low speed fans ETC. if any of you have ever done it before I’d really love to hear from you guys as to how you wired it all up, the stock harness still has all the connections for the sensors it’s just the ford parts that I need to splice in
Have you made a stand alone harness of it first ?? Start there, your LS needs it's sensors, if you want factory gauges, they need their sensors as well, some will be doubled up, not sure now many or if any can serve double duty. Basic relay wiring is very available online and simple with good instruction and pictures.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:20 AM
TECH Regular

Like RIDETOEAT said, set up your LS harness first. It'll be basically stand alone. I personally would let the GM PCM handle just about everything as far as integrating it. I.E. fuel and fans. There are great diagrams on LT1swap that will get you going in the right direction. I can't speak to the AC. If it's a gm unit I would just let the GM PCM handle that as well. Why complicate it. If it's a ford unit then you're going to have to get creative. If you're trying to use the ford fuse block and relays then get a good multimeter and some ford diagrams and good luck, I never wanted to get that deep into it. I've seen it done on other cars so it is possible. I think I asked before but never got an answer, what exactly do you want to retain from the mustang. If you're looking to keep all the factory gauges you will have to run the ford harness in parallel with the gm one to feed the ford ecu the inputs it needs. From what I've read they need all their own sensors too. Then you'll need a digital converter for the speedo signal. Tach will also need a 36-1 crank signal to be read. Ford does this off the balancer in the front I believe. So you'd need to modify yours unless you can convert the GM crank signal to 36-1. Sorry so long winded but we need more info to help you depending on how indepth you want this to be.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 03 mustang GT lm7/T56 swap