Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CA Smog legal

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 12:18 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CA Smog legal

Need some guidance here. The project I have is a ‘76 Buick Regal with the original 350-4/350. It’s tired and needs replacing. Can someone recommend a reliable shop or mechanic in the Inland Empire,CA area? Classic custom shops only want to use the LS3 E-rod package,which is very expensive. And the few I’ve found willing to do the LS1 swap might trying to sneak a truck engine in on me (it has to be from a car,not a truck).
If someone knows of a place with experience dealing with smog legal swaps,please send me their info. Appreciate any assistance. Have a great day,thanks.
Old 09-10-2018, 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 183 Likes on 145 Posts

That LS3 E-Rod motor might be the only legal engine available that has a California Air Resources Board certification - makes the paperwork and legalities easier, I suppose.

Rick
Old 09-10-2018, 09:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,349 Posts

Any takeout from a post '76 car would be legal as long as all emissions gear is working. Use the converters that come with the late engine. Don't use the '76 configuration.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:08 AM
Teching In

That is what I understood from the BAR. All of the emission systems from the donor car need to be completely functional. Finding someone to do a swap is easy,since most are pre ‘75. But when it comes to smog the mechanic isn’t so confident or doesn’t think he can pass the referees inspection. The few times I’ve spoken with the BAR, the guys have been very informative and friendly. And if I’m correct,any issue needing correction isn’t a catastrophe,just repair it.
Originally Posted by G Atsma
Any takeout from a post '76 car would be legal as long as all emissions gear is working. Use the converters that come with the late engine. Don't use the '76 configuration.
Old 09-11-2018, 11:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,349 Posts

Right. It sounds like you have a referee who will actually work with you. Half the battle is won already! If you are not sure, maybe he will give you a list of things he looks for, so you can be sure it's hooked up/installed properly. You want to do what's right, but you need to know what right is! lol You might have to fix a few things before they will sign off on it, but you will get it right!
Old 09-11-2018, 11:51 AM
Teching In

That’s the thing,finding a shop to know what right is. And knows how to correct any issues. The LS swap shops I’ve talked to are happy to do the swap but don’t seem able to handle the smog issue.
Old 09-13-2018, 08:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It can be done and has been done. Best advise is to talk to as many Smog Tech/Ref's as possible. Once you find one that sounds like he is informed on the rules and is willing to work with you, Keep working and use him. You get many difference answers to the same question on this subject from the many Tech/Ref's.

Even when they read and have the same Guidelines to follow.

https://www.bar.ca.gov/Industry/Engi...uidelines.html

Smog Check Reference Guide (see Appendix E).

BC
Old 09-14-2018, 12:11 AM
Teching In

Funny you would say that,this morning I spoke to a friend with a smog/repair shop. Also teaches master techs. He’s confident he can rebuild the original 350-4 with a mild upgrade,something a little better than the stock version and still pass smog. Won’t be as thrilling as a LS1 but at least it’ll be a little livelier than before.
Old 09-14-2018, 11:51 AM
Teching In

Also don't forget that the donor vehicle should be a California model - so that the smog gear was CA legit when it was built. This too will make the paperwork go easier.