Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those of you that do this for a living

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 03:44 PM
Launching!

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Default For those of you that do this for a living

Whats it like? In high school I always wanted to work on hot rods, but I decided to take another route after earning the GI bill while I was in the military. I did the University thing and ended up in a white collar office/desk job which apparently is the thing to do these days. Long story short, I dont like working in an office and Im still addicted to working on cars. Ive always wanted to work in the performance aspect of the automotive industry, but I never pursued it for fear of ending up being a joe shmo mechanic working on regular cars all day. My buddies that did the mechanic route dont work on their hot rods anymore if they havent sold them already.

I always thought that if I worked on cars, even nice ones, for a living, I wouldnt enjoy it anymore.

Do you guys still enjoy it?
How did you get into the industry?
Old 09-11-2018, 05:57 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I too have had those feelings. I have done a small number of jobs for local shops. Trans. shop that is reasonably well run and focuses on repeat business opportunity should be a winner. A custom shop run by younger guys with hack parts, I couldn't tolerate.
If I resume doing work outside my white collar stuff, I am going to focus on having numbers that help direct and support what work is profitable, repeatable, and will help drive ongoing existence, instead of time waster work.

Never agains: Broke dick 240 owners with a trans. in a box. Young guys at a shop who grind a shifter rail to make an offset shifter work, and dump ferrous powder in, so the bearings can die. Oh, and don't know how to wire a rev. lockout on a T56. Automatic techs / shop owners who do not know manuals, and want support for obvious as F wallowed out alum. forks. Okay I feel better now. LOL.
Old 09-11-2018, 06:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 216 Posts

I would suggest a couple of things. If you don't like your job find something you do like but don't jump off that cliff until it covers all your expenses. In the Phoenix area there has to be a number of custom shops that need some level of help. Maybe running parts or any number of lower skill jobs to get your foot in the door. Show up on time. Always ask if there is anything else needs to be done. Pass a drug test. Not suggesting you wouldn't but you would be surprised how many don't.

Or keep your present job and use your hot rod building skills as a stress reliever. I'm retired now and had a fairly high stress sales job. My hot rod builds were a big stress reliever for me.
Old 09-11-2018, 06:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I done that last option, I kept my fortunate to have day job and spent the money I made on evening and weekend projects. I was right for me cause I was not likely to have made it in the car world wrenching. I love my fiends that do work in the field but none of them have hit it big enough to have the comfort 6 figures can buy. Don't get me wrong, I hated the day job but it just payed the bills too well and afforded all the motor sports toys I wanted and all things, family being a big one considered, It was unfortunately the right thing for me. my advice now that I am retired is to envision a product to manufacture or have manufactured and sell it in the market. you get to be in the game and enjoy the hobby and work for your self on the side until it will support you......
Old 09-11-2018, 07:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

I fabricate, wrench and (recently) tune for food and mortgage money. I already wish I had more space and more time.

It's not bad. Just remember that people really like creating problems with mismatched bullshit and then bring it to you to fix. Learn how to tell them what's really gonna happen without kicking their puppy and it'll be alright.
Old 09-11-2018, 07:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by truckdoug
I fabricate, wrench and (recently) tune for food and mortgage money. I already wish I had more space and more time.

It's not bad. Just remember that people really like creating problems with mismatched bullshit and then bring it to you to fix. Learn how to tell them what's really gonna happen without kicking their puppy and it'll be alright.

Sounds like solid advice, too many cams bought based on desired idle sound
Old 09-11-2018, 07:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Originally Posted by RIDETOEAT
And THEN many more bought (and paid for...) so that the car can actually be driven by the now-discouraged owner,,,
Old 09-12-2018, 06:35 AM
TECH Addict

Just remember that people really like creating problems with mismatched bullshit and then bring it to you to fix.
People bring me this stuff a LOT.

I have a white collar job but I do custom fabrication, wiring and other stuff on the side.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:23 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Originally Posted by RIDETOEAT
AMEN! I get yelled at in the internal section for telling people to NOT pick a cam based off sound LOL.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Surprise and refreshing thread. Very seldom can someone find the dream job that pays well, in the field he wants, low stress and has a well recognized product. I did run across a guy that was sport fishing for a living and was paid 6 figures to do it. Rare, very rare. At some point you will have to deal with the public and that's the rub!
Old 09-12-2018, 10:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

I suppose for my own peace of mind I wanted to add a little more. "Kicking the puppy" is my term for giving people news they don't really want.

Sometimes you have to be really clear on why you want to do something a certain way, or why something costs what it does. Most people consider themselves to be "reasonable" so if you can appeal to their sense of reason without engaging them emotionally you'll end up with a better outcome. Sometimes it's simply a matter of educating your customer. Sometimes they will be so wrapped up in an idea that they will be unable to let go of it, and you can either accommodate or pass on the work (that's another subject---people really don't like you turning down their money!)
Old 09-12-2018, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

hey truckdoug, is this your full time gig now or are you doing it between or along with your other gig? i think you were working as a welder on ships or a foreman... i forget..
if so you've come a ways if you're doing tuning and whatnot now... good for you man
Old 09-12-2018, 02:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yessir on my own full time now. No more shipyard for me, my body couldn't take working outside in the weather anymore.

I hear they're hiring a lot of dual shield welders up in Ketchikan right now if you know of anybody impervious to pain and misery
Old 09-12-2018, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

thats awesome man
Old 09-12-2018, 11:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm an engineer for a company that builds parts and cars. I love it. Been doing it for about nine years. But having good customers and working on challenging projects keeps it fresh.
Before this I was an engineer for Boeing on the Space Station contract. Exciting, but the government tends to sap the fun out of things.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by modernbeat
………. the government tends to sap the fun out of things.
Yeah, that's a nasty habit of theirs that affects all walks of life.... lol
Old 09-12-2018, 11:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Yeah, that's a nasty habit of theirs that affects all walks of life.... lol

no kidding. working on navy boats my welder ID was 113 which I'd kinda cursive into a smiley face... Navy auditor did not like that!
Old 09-12-2018, 11:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

no kidding. working on navy boats my welder ID was 113 which I'd kinda cursive into a smiley face... Navy auditor did not like that!
I'm sure the well-worn "EFF you if you can't take a joke" ran thru your mind at times like that....
Old 09-13-2018, 07:32 AM
TECH Addict

I swear most military types I've dealt with on jobs were robots without emotion encoded in their programming. I did some work for a government contract company and the entire place was that way. I couldn't finish the project fast enough!

Doug, you make some really good points about the WHY of what you're doing and what the outcome will be. I try to educate my customers so they understand what they are getting and what they can expect from me before they bring the car to me.

People do get weird when you turn down their work but sometimes it's best for all involved. I quoted a guy a fair price for a swap once and he said guy x in a cool looking shop quoted him less and gave me a rundown. I explained how many people cut corners on engine swaps and where some corners could be cut to meet the price he was quoted. He insisted my price was too high so I told him if initial cost was his biggest driver, take it to the other guy because I can't beat that price. The guy works on the bait and switch tactic for pricing. Between transport costs and "upgrades," repairs or items that weren't considered in the initial build that will need to be purchased, his end cost would be higher.

I don't slam people's reputation so I didn't tell him I had seen and repaired work from the guy he was considering using and most I know would consider the guy a hack.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:43 AM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Maintenance mechanic pays the bills but turning wrenches outside of work helps pay for my hotrod hobby. I usually do little jobs but recently got the chance to help throw a road race car together. While it was a lot of fun I don’t think I could do it for a living unless you can be in the right mind set or keep doing different things to keep from burned out.

Two thumbs up to Doug if you can pay the bills and still enjoy it.