Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS Swap into 1974 Cutlass

Old 09-29-2018, 08:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS Swap into 1974 Cutlass

So I am new to the forums, but have been reading them for a few years. I have a 1974 2 door Cutlass Supreme that has been in the family since day one. My father passed and the car was given over to me. Dear old dad always wanted a 1966 GTO, so I figured I would give him the best of both worlds. I have a 600 HP carbureted LS2 matched to a 700 R4 transmission that I am swapping into the car. My question is in regards to wiring, as I now have an MSD box, electric fans, electric fuel pump, and a oil pressure cutoff that needs to be wired in. This is one area that I am pretty much clueless in. Main question is, how do I connect more than one of these to the ignition? Is a power block my best bet? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-06-2019, 10:38 PM
Teching In

Figured the wiring out myself with a lot of research. Just dropped the engine in yesterday, and hopefully get her running in February.

Last edited by Dillenj; 01-06-2019 at 11:24 PM.
Old 01-07-2019, 04:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Dillenj
So I am new to the forums, but have been reading them for a few years. I have a 1974 2 door Cutlass Supreme that has been in the family since day one. My father passed and the car was given over to me. Dear old dad always wanted a 1966 GTO, so I figured I would give him the best of both worlds. I have a 600 HP carbureted LS2 matched to a 700 R4 transmission that I am swapping into the car. My question is in regards to wiring, as I now have an MSD box, electric fans, electric fuel pump, and a oil pressure cutoff that needs to be wired in. This is one area that I am pretty much clueless in. Main question is, how do I connect more than one of these to the ignition? Is a power block my best bet? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Basically any power user that will need some current to run such as the cooling fan or fuel pump needs to be wired through a relay. The MSD box would probably be ok to run directly from the ignition wire if the car was originally equipped with a HEI distributor (no resistance wire).
Check out the12v.com for lots of wiring info. It is very important to use fuses where nessesary, properly sized wires and other components or you may start a fire.
Nice car by the way, I had lots of 73-77 a-bodys.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:44 PM
Teching In

Thanks, she has been in the family since day one. I found an ignition plug in the fuse box and figured I would run two four post power blocks since I have four relays. This way I can run the ignition hotwire to one block and out to the relays, and run the constant hot through the other block and to the relays. All the relays come with an inline fuse.

Search this Thread