Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCM controlled fans vs. BMW temp sensor....

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 12:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCM controlled fans vs. BMW temp sensor....

What is everyones opinion on the PCM controlled fans vs running a separate temp sensor? I admit I was confused, and put in a BMW temp sensor and wiring, and the Volvo fan relays with Ford Windstar fans. I also have Vintage Air and am going to be putting in a trinary switch to run A/C.

In hindsight, I always wanted to have the PCM control the fans, seems simple and less things to go wrong. Somewhere along the way I got caught up in thinking I needed a separate temp sensor to run the fans.......(which I questioned knowing I already had one in the drivers side head controlled by PCM)

I want to know whats the best route, keep the separate temp sensor and keep it separate from PCM, or wire the PCM to the Volvo fan relay and leave out the extra temp sensor?
Old 09-30-2018, 01:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don’t see any reason not to use the PCM, there are 2 separate outputs and the on/off temps are fully adjustable if you have any kind of tuner - even a fairly basic handheld can adjust them.
Old 10-09-2018, 03:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 504 Likes on 328 Posts

If the PCM can do it, why complicate it. Unless you need more control or additional fans.

My PWM fan thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...-less-diy.html

Old 10-09-2018, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 216 Posts

On my E36 swap I used a 16"" Spal fan puller on the radiator controlled by the LS computer. E36 fan controlled by the sensor in the BMW radiator.