Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

swapping out 4.8 ro 6.0. Do I need a spacer plate? 2002 4l60e.

Old 10-08-2018, 12:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default swapping out 4.8 ro 6.0. Do I need a spacer plate? 2002 4l60e.

I have a 2002 Silverado with 4.8 and 4l60e. Stock truck. I'm installing a 6.0 soon. I wish I had a 4l80e to go with it but I don't. So the 4l60e is going to get used until I find something better. I have the flexplate that came with the 6.0 which is dished, with 3 torque converter bolt holes. Not sure if this is correct for 6.0 to 4l80e or not. When searching out this answer I continually get info on how to mate a Gen 3 motor to an early year trans. th350, th400, 700r4, etc.. I'm hoping by having both flat and dished flex plates I should be able to get it installed with no problems, but if I need a spacer I will get one. Thanks for the help.
Old 10-08-2018, 12:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,017 Likes on 2,348 Posts

You will know as soon as you see the back of both engines. If one crank sticks out a bit further than the other a spacer WILL be needed.
Old 10-08-2018, 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 306 Likes on 206 Posts

What year is the 6.0 out of...???
Old 10-09-2018, 02:58 AM
On The Tree

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

As far as I'm aware 4l80e have 6 bolt converters and only the iron headed 6.0 came with long crank or the manual 4.8 . I got a 6.0/4l80e out of 2003 HD came with a flat flex plate and a spacer . So seems like you have the correct flexplate for a 4l60e .
Old 10-09-2018, 07:15 AM
TECH Regular

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by jon1440
I have a 2002 Silverado with 4.8 and 4l60e. Stock truck. I'm installing a 6.0 soon. I wish I had a 4l80e to go with it but I don't. So the 4l60e is going to get used until I find something better. I have the flexplate that came with the 6.0 which is dished, with 3 torque converter bolt holes. Not sure if this is correct for 6.0 to 4l80e or not. When searching out this answer I continually get info on how to mate a Gen 3 motor to an early year trans. th350, th400, 700r4, etc.. I'm hoping by having both flat and dished flex plates I should be able to get it installed with no problems, but if I need a spacer I will get one. Thanks for the help.
If you're just swapping motors and NOT transmissions I would just take everything off the 4.8 for simplicity. Should be the same dished flexplate with NO spacer. I believe the earlier 6.0 from maybe a Tahoe or escalade (someone can correct me) was actually mated to a 4l60e so they did actually come with a dished flexplate. The dished plates typically go to a 4l60e. The ones that went to a 4l80e were flat and had 6 bolt holes and a crank spacer, unless you have the long crank 6.0 with iron heads (99-00). If that's the case you won't be able to mate this to your 4l60e without a custom converter. This is what I've learned from the two 6.0's I ended up with and whole bunch of research. Let us know how you make out. Good luck.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:07 PM
Staging Lane

Default 6.0 swap.

Just got it installed and running. Trans fit like it should. No problems. Now back to tuning. I’m guessing the 6.0 was around 2002. It wasn’t an iron head and definitely a gen 3. I did drive down the block and back to check for leaks or anything I might of missed. So far it’s looking good. The 4l60e might not like it though from here on out. I’ll just have to take it easy which is going to be hard considering I’ve got a turbo on it. I
Old 10-15-2018, 01:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Just got it installed and running. Trans fit like it should. No problems. Now back to tuning. I’m guessing the 6.0 was around 2002. It wasn’t an iron head and definitely a gen 3. I did drive down the block and back to check for leaks or anything I might of missed. So far it’s looking good. The 4l60e might not like it though from here on out. I’ll just have to take it easy which is going to be hard considering I’ve got a turbo on it. I
I'm looking in my crystal hubcap, and I see a 4L80E in your future.....
Old 10-15-2018, 01:40 PM
TECH Regular

A stock 4l60 usually won't last behind a stock 6.0 let alone one with a turbo on it. Driving it around babying that thing won't even be fun to drive and 4l80's are dirt cheap. I would've just saved the trouble and done it right away instead of prolonging the inevitable. Mash an 80 in that thing and be done with it so you can enjoy that thing!
Old 10-15-2018, 02:21 PM
Staging Lane

I agree with everything said. Been looking for months now. I’m around Wichita ks and seems everyone that has one used wants to much. I’ve considered a TH400 but don’t like how they don’t have lockup or 4 gears. I guess I’m hoping to find a good used for 500 max. Not sure if that is to low for a used one or not. Just seems right to me. If I find one, would I need to do anything as of up grades or can they handle quite a bit the way they are? I don’t think I need a higher stall cause it already feels pretty torquey compared to the 4.8, and I’m not drag racing the truck. For some reason I feel like I’ll have 1000 to 1500 tied up in the trans.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

If you find one in good shape you might put a shift kit in it.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:53 PM
TECH Regular

I agree with everything said. Been looking for months now. I’m around Wichita ks and seems everyone that has one used wants to much. I’ve considered a TH400 but don’t like how they don’t have lockup or 4 gears. I guess I’m hoping to find a good used for 500 max. Not sure if that is to low for a used one or not. Just seems right to me. If I find one, would I need to do anything as of up grades or can they handle quite a bit the way they are? I don’t think I need a higher stall cause it already feels pretty torquey compared to the 4.8, and I’m not drag racing the truck. For some reason I feel like I’ll have 1000 to 1500 tied up in the trans.
I was honestly just giving you a hard time. I know how money and availability effect our ultimate goals haha. 500 with a converter for one in good shape doesn't sound crazy to me. Sometimes you get a deal but I feel like that never happens for me. A lot of people do the trans-go hd2 shift kit for like 120. Seems like a standard upgrade. I just stuffed mine in the car with the stock converter and it's still kicking. They seem like they can take quite a bit of torture.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:39 PM
Staging Lane

Well I had a big scare while driving the truck. I’ll go ahead and say I could have avoided it. Engine started a knocking noise and had me scrambling for the cause. My first thought was a rod but concluded it was a lifter. I wish I had put new ones in but the originals looked good. No wearing, rollers looked good. So after letting it sit for an hour I went back out and started the truck, and at first it was knocking but slowly went away to the normal valve train noise. So now I’m hoping I can fix the lifter without completely pulling the top half of motor back apart. I’ve heard of pouring in atf in the oil and let it run for 5 or 10 minutes then swap back to oil. I’ve heard of mechanic shops doing this but have never done it myself. I’m glad it’s not a rod but still upsetting that it’s a lifter which I should of just replaced in the first place.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:39 AM
TECH Regular

Well I had a big scare while driving the truck. I’ll go ahead and say I could have avoided it. Engine started a knocking noise and had me scrambling for the cause. My first thought was a rod but concluded it was a lifter. I wish I had put new ones in but the originals looked good. No wearing, rollers looked good. So after letting it sit for an hour I went back out and started the truck, and at first it was knocking but slowly went away to the normal valve train noise. So now I’m hoping I can fix the lifter without completely pulling the top half of motor back apart. I’ve heard of pouring in atf in the oil and let it run for 5 or 10 minutes then swap back to oil. I’ve heard of mechanic shops doing this but have never done it myself. I’m glad it’s not a rod but still upsetting that it’s a lifter which I should of just replaced in the first place.
I had a 5.3 that used to have pretty tough lifter noise on startup, especially when it was cold outside. Truck had great oil pressure so I never worried about it. Honestly those are one of those things that some people have trouble with and some people thrash 800whp through and never have an issue. If you're a piece of mind kind of person then I guess you could've thrown a set in but I wouldn't let it bother you too much. Hindsight is always 20/20. If you've having issues I've heard of those old school tricks but honestly I'd just pull the head and change them out. You've got a lot of work into this thing now why screw around. Just my thoughts.

Search this Thread