Notices
Conversions & Hybrids LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1987 Porsche 944 turbo LS1 Swap

Old 03-21-2019, 02:42 PM
Staging Lane

Almost done, if there is such a thing. It's on the road though, just need to figure out what I am going to do about a hood.
Old 03-26-2019, 01:16 AM
Teching In

Leave it TOP-LESS, looks nice that way !!?!!!!?!!!!!!!?!?!?!!!
Old 03-26-2019, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 87944turbo View Post

... just need to figure out what I am going to do about a hood.
Lexan.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:39 PM
Staging Lane

Lexan is a interesting option. I did find some FG hoods out there, but they are fairly expensive. I had a spare stock hood in storage and figured I would give it a try. Had to cut out the bracing above the throttle body, but otherwise fit perfectly acceptable for me. Just have to paint or wrap it, but very happy with how everything came out.

Old Yesterday, 12:42 PM
Launching!

Little bit peppier/more fun to drive than the 4-banger??
Old Today, 06:55 AM
Staging Lane

Little bit peppier/more fun to drive than the 4-banger??
You know, it's really interesting. I have been driving this car for a long time, 15ish years I think, on the street and on track and it's just so different with this engine. The turbo motor was no slouch, but it was a total On/Off switch. Which can be a lot of fun at times, but for most "normal" driving, it absolutely sucks. It had around 8:1 compression and off the line with a big turbo, I would get smoked by minivans. It's just so nice to have torque everywhere all the time. It completely changes the character of the car. I do miss the hit of a big turbo, but I am very happy with the V8.
Old Today, 07:54 AM
On The Tree

I tracked my 944 Turbo for 12 years before LS2 swapping (first season on track after the swap was last year).

It is weird having torque everywhere, you build so much speed, but it doesn't feel like anything, it's like a weird gradual push and then you're arriving at places way faster than you expected on track compared to a turbo 4.
Old Today, 09:18 AM
Staging Lane

It is weird having torque everywhere, you build so much speed, but it doesn't feel like anything, it's like a weird gradual push and then you're arriving at places way faster than you expected on track compared to a turbo 4.
That's interesting to hear. I guess I won't really know until I go back to the tracks that I have run in the past.
Old Today, 12:51 PM
Launching!

that looks so dope! i like it ! congrats
Old Today, 01:13 PM
Staging Lane

that looks so dope! i like it ! congrats
Thanks!
Old Today, 02:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 87944turbo View Post
...The turbo motor was no slouch, but it was a total On/Off switch. Which can be a lot of fun at times, but for most "normal" driving, it absolutely sucks. It had around 8:1 compression and off the line with a big turbo, I would get smoked by minivans.
I completely understand - I've driven a turbo-four as a daily for several years. The only good thing about it was how far it stretched a gallon of fuel - I found everything else about it to be thoroughly "MEH..." I MUCH prefer the instantaneous torque of the V8 over the "hit the gas, wait for the damn engine to build RPMs, & spool the damn turbo, & THEN the car finally starts moving!"...
Old Today, 05:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

I bet you are still getting mileage in the mid to high 20's on the highway.

Search this Thread

About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: