Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS Landrover VSS issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 05:25 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS Landrover VSS issue

I've hit a stumbling block regarding the VSS. I was intending to wire into the stock landrover VSS, but it's a completely different type so won't work. The landrover vss is two wire. One wire is a 12v feed and the other is output to the speedo head that filters the signal. The signal switches between 12v and 0v 6 times per roadwheel revolution.

I'd considered tapping into one of the abs sensor wires as that is a 2 wire ac sensor. It reads from a 60 tooth exciter ring. I'm guessing that means an output of 60 pulses per wheel revolution.

Does anyone have any suggestions or solutions?

I'd considered buying a GM vss and making up a reluctor ring and bracket to bolt to the back of the transfer box, but sourcing the required parts here in the UK is proving difficult.
Old 10-14-2018, 04:53 PM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

No, tapping into the ABS will not make the ABS system happy at all, nor will it do what you want.

And parts are easy, just order them. This will do what you want as well as allowing you to alter the pulse count. You'd just be converting the VR/Sine wave type signal from the GM 2 wire sensor to a digital signal. It'll come from Oz but they're usually fairly quick.

https://www.jaycar.co.uk/corrector-s...odule/p/AA0376

or many Vauxhalls use a little device that looks like a ( yellow Siemens ) relay which does the same conversion, but it wont sort out the pulse count difference
Old 10-14-2018, 05:28 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the reply Stevie..
Can you tell me what VSS I'd need and how it's triggered? I'm a little out of my depth
Old 10-14-2018, 05:47 PM
9 Second Club

I've no idea what you have, or even what you're trying to do in the first place, so give more details.

Your initial post seems to say you just want your speedo to work. So just take the signal from the sensor on your gearbox, use the Jaycar device and feed that to your speedo.

If you're after something else, then give some detail of what you have or need.
Old 10-14-2018, 06:02 PM
Staging Lane

I have an LQ9 mated to a Landrover R380 gearbox and LT230 Transfer box. The ECU and engine wiring loom are the GM/Chevrolet originals. I'm trying to feed the GM ECU with a VSS input signal so that the cruise control works. I can't use the landrover VSS that is mounted in the transfer box as it is a single wire 0/12v (presumably digital) signal.
From what I read on the Jaycar site, the device will just alter the frequency, it won't swap type as well?
Old 10-14-2018, 06:20 PM
9 Second Club

I have the older Jaycar unit which was a DIY build, and it would allow you to swap types. Although in my case I just needed it to take in the GM VR signal and convert it to a digital output.

The normal GM signal is a VR, 2 wire more akin to a sine wave. Not a digital. Reluctor wheel is 40 tooth I believe, but actual tooth per mile or whatever will be different anyway because you'll have different wheel/tyre/diff combo.

IMO, the Jaycar piece would be the easiest thing to try. It should be able to take the digital signal from your speed sensor and convert it to a viable VR signal ( no replicated signal will actually be a true VR signal, but that's not an issue, it will be close enough to work )

Failing that, you could add a trigger wheel to the propshaft or something and chuck a GM sensor on to watch that. You can adjust speed data within the ecu, or you could try and calculate what number of teeth wheel would most closely mirror what your ecu would be expecting.

Or do the above, and also use the Jaycar piece to alter pulse count.

Whilst it's a different conversion, you can see what these guys are doing for 6060 based gearboxes for conversions, including the speed trigger.

https://www.facebook.com/MalexMotorsports/

Or for local guys, parts etc...this is handy

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1375847329333903/